We need Power Metal Karaoke at PP7!

SwordLord

Attack!
Sep 20, 2004
St. Paul, Minnesota
www.myspace.com
I just thought of what we need at the next ProgPower ...

Power/Prog KARAOKE! It would so rule!

How cool would it be to see someone wailing out their rendition of Blind Guardian's "Script for My Requiem" or Dream Theatre's "Pull Me Under" ?!

Glenn -- you need to use your international star status to find some power/prog karaoke discs or ... even better ... find a good Atlanta band to do an open jam and play a bunch of stuff so that we can all cut loose.

All hail the supreme metal dork! :worship:

God I'm in a goofy mood today ... must have been those White Castles I ate the other night...

Those White Castles can stay with you for days or minutes. I guess it matters how much you've had to drink before or after you've eaten the burger.

Metal karaoke would be funny and fun. Winner gets a recording contract offer from Ken Golden at Sensory Records.

Or . . or . . .or, you could walk downstairs to Vinyl. They had thousands of titles in their song book. It certainly wasn't all power metal, but there was Dio and Queensryche and tons of metal bands that I can't remember.

Jen from Krone has already claimed all the Queensryche songs, though.

Steve from Philly

SwordLord said:
I just thought of what we need at the next ProgPower ...

Power/Prog KARAOKE! It would so rule!

How cool would it be to see someone wailing out their rendition of Blind Guardian's "Script for My Requiem" or Dream Theatre's "Pull Me Under" ?!

Glenn -- you need to use your international star status to find some power/prog karaoke discs or ... even better ... find a good Atlanta band to do an open jam and play a bunch of stuff so that we can all cut loose.

All hail the supreme metal dork! :worship:

God I'm in a goofy mood today ... must have been those White Castles I ate the other night...

If you guys go serious with this idea, open this link and contact the people. They have done it for a while and made it quite a success in Finland. Saw their HeviKaraoke stage and many performances this summer at a metal festival in August, and was surprised the amount of talented metal singers coming out of the bushes to perform! Really amazing talents, not just somebodies with too much beer in their heads.

One of the hostessies working for them is a metalhead chick from Philadelphia who moved to Finland because of our metal scene, I guess.

Also, they have published one Karaoke compilation CD for home use and are working on another right now. Have a look at their ideas on the site. Might be just what you are talking about.

St Enigma said:
One of the hostessies working for them is a metalhead chick from Philadelphia who moved to Finland because of our metal scene, I guess.

Oh yeah, Tal is actually in the States now, but she'll be back here in a few months.

St Enigma said:
Also, they have published one Karaoke compilation CD for home use and are working on another right now. Have a look at their ideas on the site. Might be just what you are talking about.
It's actually a dvd and for both home and professional use.
You can see the tracklist here: http://www.hevikaraoke.fi/levyt.php

We are producing the second one, which will include more power metal.
We have 900 songs on our list including hardrock, punk, indie and of course metal.
The complete songlist is here: http://www.hevikaraoke.fi/biisit.php

We'd be happy to be on your festival. Just fly us over and it will happen! :headbang:

I take it we met there? Ankkarock I am guessing...that was August. I'll be back in ol Suomi in New Years.

I'd love to have the crew over in the US for a festival...let Americans see that karaoke just isn't about old drunk men singing Frank Sinatra and Elvis.

Karaoke- why not. They already do this in some European metalfestivals and it is a big hit... only bad thing is most people need some 'liquid'courage before going onstage...

www.orphaned-disciples.com
fanclubbanner.gif

Fenrir13 said:
I take it we met there? Ankkarock I am guessing...that was August. I'll be back in ol Suomi in New Years.

I'd love to have the crew over in the US for a festival...let Americans see that karaoke just isn't about old drunk men singing Frank Sinatra and Elvis.
Yep, at Ankkarock. You might not remember my face, we only had a short chat, but I knew your background by following your posts about your 'adventures' last fall on the other forum. :D
I visited Corner Bar a couple of times earlier to see HeviKaraoke, and even I hate normal 'Elvis'-karaoke, I was amazed by some really good singers to take the mic. Obviously metal is a style of music that attracts musically talented people.
This in mind I immediately thought about HeviKaraoke and you, when SwordLord opened this topic. You have all the necessary things ready, tested and running, which would make it easy to succeed at ProgPower, too.

Hmmm... seems like everyone's missing DarkOne's comment... there already *is* metal karaoke going on at ProgPower... after the show, in Vinyl's. They didn't have a huge selection of underground power metal (they mostly had stuff like Judas Priest, Queensryche, Dio... stuff that was released on major labels), but I suppose if people brought stuff with them to sing along to, that would probably work...

Chris Rifkin(HalcyonF5 and Stu said:
waiting for Shaye to chime in here
what would be funnier is if someone did vetal vocals to pop song ect

I can SO hear a death rendition of "Baby One More Time"...

And I don't know how they do it in Europe, but the original intent of karaoke, to my understanding, is indeed not about being "good" but about having fun. Don't get mne wrong, I enjoyed that chick, Jen, belting out some Queensryche, but I just don't know that I'd want to participate (cue loud sigh of relief :loco: ) or even watch if it got too serious.

Shaye

P.S. Chris -- damn those Giants!! ;)

lady_space said:
And I don't know how they do it in Europe, but the original intent of karaoke, to my understanding, is indeed not about being "good" but about having fun.
You're absolutely right. Having fun is the main idea with our karaoke too. But we do have some amazing singers...

Btw, we're looking for more underground metal. Does anyone here happen to know good metal karaoke cdg producers apart from Sound Choice? Or are they the only company with even Queensryche and Priest? Is there a songlist somewhere of what you have in Vinyl's?