Weddings

It's not marriage I have a problem with as a living concept, it's that it is a legal institution + the various formal "hooplas" that surround it.
I hate formal shit.

I have a wedding in texas to go to in march. not really looking forward to it other than the fact I'm sharing a room with a female friend of mine and we're quite flirty with each other. I'm hoping for teh sexorz

I suddenly got a mental image of unknown looking like this:

o-face.jpg

My 25-year-old sister is getting married in May at a yacht club in Danversport, MA. I plan on getting smashed with my father, the only way to survive it.

Having worked in the hospitality industry for awhile now to feed myself while at university, I've been to many wedding receptions. The speeches, the music etc are always the same. I laugh whenever I see a young couple getting hitched early, obviously a shotgun wedding.

The groom would always be some typical high school jock working as a tradesman and the bride would be some pretty young girl with a slight bump on her tummy.

Everyone was drinking loads, jumping around, whooping, throwing bottles/tankards all over the place, smashing stuff and the cake was also torn up and thrown everywhere. There was also the crazy Irish folk band who didn't stop singing drinking songs until the early morning. Just general Irish drunkenness.

My 25-year-old sister is getting married in May at a yacht club in Danversport, MA. I plan on getting smashed with my father, the only way to survive it.

The Yacht Club is a great place...one of my best friends and my cousin both had thier wedding receptions there. Have fun Z!

Having had a wedding of my own and also attended a bunch...of course the most important part is to plan your wedding to your own accord. You'll have many people giving suggestions, telling you what to do, how you should do it etc...screw them! We made sure to do it our way, maintain some formality, pick the music you'll like, not have it too stuffy etc. Its a lot of work to prepare a wedding especially if paying and preparing yourselves...like me and mine did. So you really need to let loose come the big day and make sure to have some fookin fun!

maintain some formality
My girlfriend's dad advised that if I ever want to marry her, I have to do things the formal way and ask for his consent first. I told him that if he wants it that way, I'll expect him to cover the cost in full and provide me with a dowry. Haven't heard a word about marriage since. :)

Two of my friends are marrying each other in May and I'm supposed to be a groomsman. Unfortunately, I accepted the position before I knew what a groomsman's repsonsibilities were and received a notification a couple weeks later detailing the exact color and design of each piece of the tuxedo that I'm supposed to wear, as well as the company that I'm supposed to rent it from. I haven't had the opportunity to stop by the place yet, but the list looks expensive and I can't afford to spend very much with all of my student loan debt and such a low paying job, so I may have to tell them that I can't do it.

I've also only been to one previous wedding and it was really nice, but I can't see myself making such a big deal about it. It was a relatively informal wedding, so it was acceptable for me to show up in dress pants and a button up shirt with a tie, but there were a lot of people, which is not something that I would want for my own wedding, if I had any ceremony at all.
My girlfriend's dad advised that if I ever want to marry her, I have to do things the formal way and ask for his consent first. I told him that if he wants it that way, I'll expect him to cover the cost in full and provide me with a dowry. Haven't heard a word about marriage since. :)
That is genius.

My wedding consisted of going to the courthouse, saying the vows in front of the judge, signing the paperwork, and then my wife and I partying with friends that night. Neither of us regret not putting together the big production. We have thought about renewing our vows with a pagan wedding, but since we're both atheists, I don't think it makes much sense to do such a thing.

Some close friends of mine got married last year, I was one of the two 'best men'. The ceremony was non-religious, out on some property in the country overlooking a huge valley. The reception (on the same property) involved much good food, beer, wine and music. We all rented a house near there and went and partied for two days after it. Much funtimes.