Welcome back, Melancholia!!!

Sir Wankalot :lol:

Hearsie,nice to see you passing by :wave:

Thanny,i didn't really abandon the DT forum.... it's more like what FV explained,plus the fact that i do not surf regularly now and so i can't always follow.... I'm trying quite often to get back to the DT forum,but sometimes it feels strange and they i don't return soon :( I miss the DT forum :cry: but on the other hand it will never be the same again...

/troll (who will try again and again...)

why yes, you're right, DT forum is not what it used to be :cry: I'll still dwell over there though, and I might invade this forum as well, too, so what's with this band Asgaroth?

Thanatos said:
why yes, you're right, DT forum is not what it used to be :cry: I'll still dwell over there though, and I might invade this forum as well, too, so what's with this band Asgaroth?
feel free to invade our little corner of evil metal and board hugs :)
err,as for what asgaroth is about,errrrrrrrrrrrrr, it´s not like i'm lazy or sth :rolleyes: but i guess our moderator could give more info on the matter :rolleyes:
*whistling*

/troll (talar þú ensku??)

uhmmm why everybody asks for info about the band when they first post here???

May be we should make a starting fix thread about the band??? Yes?? No???

fathervic (really glad to see shiny happy people around here)

FatherVic said:
uhmmm why everybody asks for info about the band when they first post here???

May be we should make a starting fix thread about the band??? Yes?? No???
YEEEEEEEEEEES!!!
maybe a thread stuck on the top with some info on the band,a little bio or sth,would be useful...me thinks at least...

@fathervic: yuppity yup, a little info would be nice :)

my two cents about thanny's question: it's not that i've ever been posting much on dt forum, but i don't really like the place anymore... it's somewhat colder than it used to be when i landed there. there are lots of people, of course, and every now and then an interesting/funny thread, but i reckon the place is overally boring thus not worth of the little time i can spend online, as of late. how sad... i was used to love that forum :cry:

many people are sad about the DT forum and the good old times... :cry: sometimes i feel what the net is giving me now is not enough,sometimes i wish i had a time machine,even for a few hours.... sometimes i hope this forum will become as warm as the old DT... sometimes i like dreaming :)
but then i realize that nothing will ever be the same,it's impossible.... yet maybe one day we'll be able to experience the same feelings we used to experience there....
At least i'm happy the asgaroth forum exists and that the cool people from the DT come here as well,some more,some less regularly... (some don't - Final vision,Phyros,Aegis,astarte or atlantis f.e. :cry: )....

now i stop,otherwise i'll get sad :(

it's really hard to explain, but i'll try to drop here what rounds my head about the DT forum and the lost of the golden days...
The thing is that back then we all started from zero! we all started knowing the rest of the group and eventually we started really opening to everybody, sharing feelings and hoping somebody would pat on our back and say "that's ok, deerie, you can cry, we're here for you" and the next day you would do the same for the next to have a problem.

Once some time has gone, the oldies who you had help and who had helped you have left and there's new people around, new people who are not bad but don't know you as the olddies did, then the special shine of the forum's gone, at least for us, the "other olddies".
For me it's extremely difficult to open myself and sing my fears to people I barely know. Thing that was extremely easy in the past, because I knew the people, they cared and I cared. Now II don't have the same relationship with the newbies and now they have their own circle of trusted people, and I'm not in there because I don't feel a part of it anymore...Not that I dislike them (actually the most of them are really nice) but the glitter's gone and I don't feel comfortable enough to give what I used to give and the circle is closed enough for me now...it's a shame...

and the thing that makes me sadder about it is that I loose contact to some other oldies I really like from there (thanny, vulture_culture, siren, rahvin, villain and many others) but watcha gonna do...I can't go back in time either :cry:

@jacinto: *hug*
what the hell!!!!!!
@all: *group hug* :)

Think the point is that we don't make of the internet more than a part of our lives, and we live too far away to keep our relationships, provided it is needed some physical contact to keep the flame alive.

|ng.

|ngenius said:
Think the point is that we don't make of the internet more than a part of our lives, and we live too far away to keep our relationships, provided it is needed some physical contact to keep the flame alive.

|ng.
what exactly do you mean by "we don't make of the internet more than a part of our lives"? I'm not sure if i understand it correctly....

Physical contact (hehe i don't know why,but this term makes me smile naughtily :rolleyes: ) is needed to keep the flame alive in a relationship,but i'm not sure this is the rule for evertyhing... I've seen friendships going on and on with less physical contact involved and others breaking even if the parts involved where meeting often together....
so i don't know if it the determiníng factor...
I think in the case of the DT forum the point/problem was that the contact between us was made in the majority of the cases within the forum and thus when some members started due to several reasons to participate less,it was normal that the contact between us was lost.... I guess the DT forum stopped what they are because people for differecnt reasons each stopped giving what they were giving in the past and not so much the physical contact,which anyway since the very beginning (when we were all sharing stuff) we all knew would be little...

/troll (ramblin on :D )

Melancholia said:
Physical contact (hehe i don't know why,but this term makes me smile naughtily :rolleyes: )

Yes, it was the first expression that came to my mind, and I guess it's not so close to the acception I was looking for (it would be better "to keep in touch" or "remain close" or watever), but the same smile compelled me to leave it that way. ;)

I've invested quite a lot of the last years into the internet, and if there's something for sure is that, when you're meeting people, you end up feeling either the need of meeting them physically or the relationship becomes less interesting and regular. You need to share a life with those people you're in regular touch with, you need to do something actively with them, a mere conversational way is not enough (yes, you can keep a contact, it's a matter of will, but think and tell me how many people you keep in touch with just talking with them through phone/net and how many of them you talk to each, say, week). People tend to concentrate on their real life, and the reasons might be the ones you provided: people getting a job, a girlfriend, a new hobbie, whatever, but then stop feeling the same towards the board and investing much less time posting on there.

If the real reason to stop posting is simply that you have no time to do it, I would keep on posting, since I'm plenty of time. If the reason was that there are different people, the old ones are also wandering the place every now and then (or even regularly, as Siren or Rahvin). There are no new things to dig up, so either you live new experiences with those people, or you start roaming new places.

Remember that I'm not talking about breaking up a friendship, strictly. I'm talking about people attending to the board, since I consider Phyros as a good friend of mine regardless the distance and absence of contact. ;)

|ng.

FatherVic said:
it's really hard to explain, but i'll try to drop here what rounds my head about the DT forum and the lost of the golden days...
The thing is that back then we all started from zero! we all started knowing the rest of the group and eventually we started really opening to everybody, sharing feelings and hoping somebody would pat on our back and say "that's ok, deerie, you can cry, we're here for you" and the next day you would do the same for the next to have a problem.

Once some time has gone, the oldies who you had help and who had helped you have left and there's new people around, new people who are not bad but don't know you as the olddies did, then the special shine of the forum's gone, at least for us, the "other olddies".
For me it's extremely difficult to open myself and sing my fears to people I barely know. Thing that was extremely easy in the past, because I knew the people, they cared and I cared. Now II don't have the same relationship with the newbies and now they have their own circle of trusted people, and I'm not in there because I don't feel a part of it anymore...Not that I dislike them (actually the most of them are really nice) but the glitter's gone and I don't feel comfortable enough to give what I used to give and the circle is closed enough for me now...it's a shame...

and the thing that makes me sadder about it is that I loose contact to some other oldies I really like from there (thanny, vulture_culture, siren, rahvin, villain and many others) but watcha gonna do...I can't go back in time either :cry:

@jacinto: *hug*
what the hell!!!!!!
@all: *group hug* :)
We have a pretty good group here I think. Everyone is so friendly to eachother around here. But yeah, I know what you mean Fathervic. Well, I mean it has happened to me over at this other board I post at. My golden days were at the Guitarworld.com forums about a year ago. Funnest time I've had online. At the metalhead forum, everyone shared eachothers political views without fear of someone mocking them or poking fun of them. It was fun. Same with the many other topics we talked about. I think I really liked that messageboard, because it really gave me a better view on metal. Before that, I was into punk, rock, and a few metal bands. (Not extreme though. Excepting Dismember and At the Gates.) Now, welp I am a full-frontal metalhead. So, yeah I wish I could go and relive the good ole days, but you can't. (Or can you??????) Oh yeah and this may be a little late, but WELCOME BACK MELANCHOLIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aaah. you people get so sentimental... it's like opening easter eggs and finding kittens inside. living, breathing kittens, i mean. not that it's a likely event, if the eggs have been sealed properly. and anyway the cats would have eaten away at the chocolate around them. and they would have left happy presents all around the place. but anyway. :p

i have two alternative explanations for the decline of your interest in the dark tranquillity board. the first is: you all suck. :D
the second: after one year or more getting accustomed to know people online, most relationships tend to either fade away into boredom or escalate into something that develops outside of the boundaries of an online board. some of the old regulars i have finally met and spent some time with, with others i choose to communicate by either phone or mail or simply private messages. the idea of just laugh around exchanging pleasant nothingness in public on the forum is not as interesting now that i have most of you guys' phone numbers and in some cases i know we'll meet soon (fathervic and mel: hold your breath ;)). i actually find it's an improvement that we're past a daily dose of "hi, how are you?" on a public board.

aside from that, please remember that the golden age never existed. it's a fabrication of mankind. things have always been and will always be exactly as bad as they are now. :)

That stuff Rahvin wrote sounds strangly familiar. :p Think... he is saying... that people need to get to a higher level (depending on the level, the relationship will remain active or not). Did not some robot say something similar? :loco:

You can keep that relationship through pm/phone, but after some time, it won't be more than a distant relationship, a communication through a machine, some way or another. Of course, the main requirement to keep something alive is the will, so everything depends on what both sides want, but assuming there is a will to keep it alive, there are certain needs to satisfy as well.

@Rahve: In a sense, the golden era existed. People's subjectivity creates a world, a reality, and it is indeed absolutely real... almost for them, which is enough. The golden era was a period in which certain people felt themselves as a part of a community, nothing more, nothing less. :) And btw, attending to this principle of subjectivity... things can change substantially.

|ng.

I made a huge post about this but the forum kicked me out and when i logged in the message had vanished (i hate it!).
So i'm not going to write it again...i will just resume it.
You both are wrong or at least partly wrong...partly wrong for all those who are not like you and have different needs like me, who a friendship (and a big deep one) is satisfied perfectly by contact on the net. I don't need to go further, and actually I started making friends through the net because that way I didn't have to follow my friends where they wanted to go, as regular as they wanted to go and in the ways they wanted to go, and this way I could simply turn off the PC and go to bed.
In my own experience I've lost many many friends in real life and not so many on the internet (which on the contrary has helped me to keep friendships really important to me) The best friendships I have now, except for two I've met through the internet and i've had chats on the internet where everybody opened much more than it would be the case on the street simply by that distance.
I've JUST ONCE have felt the NEED to go further than internet in a friendship i had on the internet and it was because it was NO LONGER friendship but something much deeper and strong.
Some people simply doesn't have the needs, some have different...

Now in the case of the golden age, may be both are right...may be the golden age is all the time the same and it's the people who get in and out of it. For some people DT's forum golden age was some time ago, may be for the newbies it is NOW. And it seems strange to think there were two golden ages. Now, what it's sure that what we call golden age is a shared great comfortable feeling viewed through the eyes of a community.

@theredin: You got exactly what I mean :) you're 10 smarter than I though when you first posted here :Spin:

FV and this robot were discussing about this subject for a while this evening and, well, think he knows he's wrong. :p Nah, we ended up talking some rubbish about how evil Saddam is and how grateful we feel now that we are free and we can hang around without fear anymore.

However, regarding this subject about friendships made through the net, there's a curious and nice point that makes me feel hopeful and loved, let me tell you two cents about it. You remember atlantis? Yeap, I met her some time ago and, due to certain circumstances, it wasn't the kind of meeting I would label as amazing, or almost seemed to me that we didn't meet in proper circumstances. Well, after some time without exchanging mails, she contacted me again. People tend to mind their own business, but that is one of those points where some will is enough to keep some contact. Normally, it is me who affords the effort by doing my best to keep it alive, and this time she surprised me with a nice and kind letter asking about me and telling she's learning spanish (don't worry, Mel, I doubt she is going to be more skilled than you at this point, you are terribly (and frustrating) damn good!!!). See? This kind of little things make me smile and feed my reliance on the human race. Regardless the contents of the letter, it is the mere act of sending it what makes a deep sense, and I love these details.

|ng (But to kill humans is fun!!)

You want to hear (read) my two-cents? Well, I can't make friends even on messageboards, let alone in the outside world (Video games have destroyed what was left of my social life. So much that when I try to be serious, it makes me look absolutely retarded. A good example would be this post right here. This post also reminds me, I gotta quit being so pestimistic about myself. The Leprachaun told me so. He also told me that he was the reincarnation of Josef Stalin and that he was going to make me take over America and kill everyone.

Dang it my now playing thing got messed up. Oh well.

Theredintheskyisours said:
You want to hear (read) my two-cents? Well, I can't make friends even on messageboards, let alone in the outside world (Video games have destroyed what was left of my social life. So much that when I try to be serious, it makes me look absolutely retarded. A good example would be this post right here. This post also reminds me, I gotta quit being so pestimistic about myself. The Leprachaun told me so. He also told me that he was the reincarnation of Josef Stalin and that he was going to make me take over America and kill everyone.

Dang it my now playing thing got messed up. Oh well.

Ok, listen up: you are who you are, just try to be fair, keep up your honour, take care of yourself and your beloved ones (your parents or whoever) and join me in my "save the world, we are ugly but nice" campaign. Well, I'm not really ugly, but this way makes people join me enthusiastically if they are. :D

My point is, what the hell are you talking about? Just this evening FatherVic said that your posts were odd at times but they make sense. Do you think we don't have our odd posts? Take a look to the "Weird Stories" thread, for the sake of the leprachaun, and see what absurdity might be (and write some lines if you feel in the mood to). To have friends is easy, the hard part is to meet good friends, and keep'em up, so... you better be a good friend yourself. The rest is already here, little one!!

|ngenius (Who had to look back to the word leprachaun to write it down correctly)

P.S: And be happy, make a party or whatever, Saddam's been caught, we are free!!! :p