Welcome to the new Message Boards!!

Originally posted by steveheiress
...unless by mid-august you mean 8/15-19... I'll be in Japan on those dates (wheeee!!) with an all-female tribute to AC/DC called Whole Lotta Rosies...

:OMG:

NO FAIR! :cry: I want to go back to Okinawa! Man...

Mel, if you get anywhere near Kadena Air Force Base, find out how to get to the music store on BC Street. (Hopefully, it's still open.) There, you might find the Iron Maiden videos that you don't have, including the show from 1980 at the Rainbow, London, UK (Adrian Smith's first show and Killers with different lyrics!). And if you do, I'm gonna have you do some shopping for me. :)

Originally posted by Red Shirt
Hey Mel, great idea. (Your idea, right?) I don't know who does your website, but what an awesome job putting that together. It's sooo cool!

If your the one always sending the latest maidens info, I hope that whoever takes that over does as good as a job as you.

Reddy, Thanks for the kind words about the website. I'm a total geek at heart, and I really enjoy doing the website. However, I think the site (and the mailing list) will thrive in the very capable hands of MiniMurray, Brucie, Nikki, and Adrianne. It should be very interesting to watch the website evolve under new management!

Originally posted by smylex
Mel, if you get anywhere near Kadena Air Force Base, find out how to get to the music store on BC Street. (Hopefully, it's still open.) There, you might find the Iron Maiden videos that you don't have, including the show from 1980 at the Rainbow, London, UK (Adrian Smith's first show and Killers with different lyrics!). And if you do, I'm gonna have you do some shopping for me. :)

The gig is at some military base in Okinawa... perhaps its the one of which you speak. Do you remember the name of the place? I'm not even sure we're going to be able to get off the base, but who knows. Japanese imports, wheeeee!!!

Although when I first went to Europe, I stopped in London for an 8 hour layover and thought I'd go hunting for those rare European release CD's. In both HMV and Tower records, much to my horror, were rows upon rows of US IMPORTS!!!! gagh!!

However, I think the site (and the mailing list) will thrive in the very capable hands of MiniMurray, Brucie, Nikki, and Adrianne. It should be very interesting to watch the website evolve under new management!

:zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: <------does this mean we'll have to adopt Mel's Motto of "sleep is highly overrated?"

The gig is at some military base in Okinawa... perhaps its the one of which you speak. Do you remember the name of the place? I'm not even sure we're going to be able to get off the base, but who knows. Japanese imports, wheeeee!!!

hey mel,
i actually lived in okinawa for a couple of years when i was little. this was before/during the reversion (when the u.s. gave okinawa back to japan). i lived on a military base in 'machinato', near naha city. it's a bit different from mainland japan. hope you have fun there!

Originally posted by CreepingDeathBand

To play the devils advocate, the software errors were caused by lack of server space and bandwidth throttling.

Brian,

The version of ikonboard we were using was a beta version. I think it was just unable to handle the small amount of userload that we had. Bandwidth and disk space were never an issue (maybe they are now that I'm starting to host video on our website but the point is now moot!!).

Thank you so much for your help in implementing the first Maidens boards. We got a lot of use out of them and I think they were very helpful in building this community!

Brian,

The version of ikonboard we were using was a beta version. I think it was just unable to handle the small amount of userload that we had. Bandwidth and disk space were never an issue (maybe they are now that I'm starting to host video on our website but the point is now moot!!).

Thank you so much for your help in implementing the first Maidens boards. We got a lot of use out of them and I think they were very helpful in building this community!

Well I used hostsave, on the same plan, and had the same problem with UBB. It's throttling your bandwidth. The BETA version wasn't the problem because I've used the same version on several other boards and it worked fine. The Maidens was the only place I've experienced problems similar to when I had CD on hostsave. I'm much happier with ReadyHosting.

No problem with the help. I am actually switching over to vBulletin (and had plan to for some time) because UBB is too expensive and I need a bandwidth friendly board. It's half the price, more reliable and has more features.

Ta ta. Have fun at your last Maiden's show, Mel and enjoy Japan. You'll have a great time.

Originally posted by CreepingDeathBand
No problem with the help. I am actually switching over to vBulletin (and had plan to for some time) because UBB is too expensive and I need a bandwidth friendly board. It's half the price, more reliable and has more features.

I was looking at phpBB, but I would have DEFINITELY had to move hosting from hostsave because it did not support mySQL and php (which were required for creating the boards). Moving hosts, as I discovered with the Raven Mad site, which had to move twice before settling with hostsite4u, is a megapain in the left buttcheek -- not just transferring the domain but all the e-mail addresses that are dependant upon the domain. Not to mention I have sooooo little time between now and chaos (I mean europe!!) to even learn and implement a new board. At the same time I started using the Sinergy board, and thought it really kicked ass. So, i contacted Mark about hosting the Maidens board too. UM totally rules!!!

Welcome aboard! :)

I take it you are Melanie...my bro and I saw you at ProgPower II last year in Atlanta. You handed out flyers for The Iron Maidens and New Eden. He checked out both bands more after ProgPower and told me a little bit about each.

I later realized that you were at ProgPower for Steel Prophet on the second day. We missed the second day, but I would have loved to have seen them. I really enjoyed their Ides Of March/Purgatory cover on A Call to Irons 1...and the Phantom of the Opera cover by New Eden. Of course, I love the Remember Tomorrow cover by Opeth. :D Ok, I need to listen to that cd now...

Anyway, I'll have to tell my brother about this forum. I'm sure he'd be interested, but he rarely posts on UM. Sorry for rambling. Once again, welcome! :D