Well since it's drum video day...

Good Vid , really enjoyed his feel and great sounds overall.

Interesting point you make about the headphones/kinda felt that it almost put him out of the zone he was in for that brief moment.Nothing worse than having that distraction in a recording session...at least for me anyway.

Sounds awesome! He is rocking out pretty hard. Which is good for the tracks, but bad for keeping cans on your head...

Yeah doesn't exactly sell me on the extreme iso headphones. He uses the vic firth ones in his home studio and I kind of wish we had a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter so we could have just used his.

Anyhow, drum info for those interested:

Kit was a pearl EX (he is pearl endorsed and IIRC uses a granite sparkle reference series on tour with Staind). Anyhow, he upgraded the hoops to die cast and honestly I thought it sounded great although he wasn't digging them as far as how they sounded in the room.

Snare was a Pearl masters.

OH: KM184
Hat: KM85
Kick: My home made subkick (8" driver from a BX8a monitor) and a Beta 52a.
Snare: sm57/Senn 441
Toms: All 421

I have no idea WTF the hiss is in this video. It might be in the guitars, but I dunno I didn't record that part.

Gotta love those MMX/MCX snares (especially MCX - BEST snare for money and beyond! IMHO).

Two question though - could you please give us some info about the:
1. size and treatment of the room?
2. what head is on the snare?

Thanks for sharing! :)

As far as I know he is a Remo guy so the snare has some sort of coated remo on it. But beyond that I'm not much help on remembering. He used to be Staind's drum tech for quite some years and did the drum tuning on the Chapter V record as well as some others so I don't question his choice in head or tuning. :lol:

The size of the room, don't know the exacts because it's not a perfect square/rectangle by any means, in fact the reflective wall behind the kit goes up about 7 feet then goes another 5 feet or so up and in (hard to explain more than that) it also curves in more on one side.

The non reflective walls are OC705. The room is tuned professionally and decoupled from all other rooms in the building (they have a train that goes by literally less than 100 feet away from the building that shakes all other floors in the building when it does). We used some baffles and faced the reflective side toward the kit because the room sounds a tad dead otherwise.

Wow talk about a non-ideal location for a studio. But if they got it to work then rock and roll....

This is why it's hard to explain the dimentions of the room, here is a pic of it facing the corner where the camera was set:

4466452_orig.jpg