We've received our first reviews of 'PIB'

hm, the review from metalreviews.com is quite nice...not nearly as boring as most other reviews I've read. (boring as in 'they were all alike')

too bad the album won't be released until monday (feb. 2nd) ...I wonder what caused the two-week delay... well, I don't want to wait anymore :-/

I found another cool review of PiB. It's at metalreview.com (yes, that's a different page than metalreviewS.com). I just wonder why the guy rated the songwriting so low with "only" 4.5 out of 6.

Tauredil said:
In the french version of Rock Hard : 6/10 :erk:
Maybe that reviewer belongs to the "the music is not catchy enough, why do the guitars sound so weird at times?" category. There are a lot of people like that, but I don't really mind as long as there are at least some people who can understand and appreciate the music :)

here's a review by Martin Popoff

Amaran - Pristine In Bondage
(Listenable)

On album #2, Amaran do a bunch of things adequately, but few of them with truly memorable result. What you get is a combination of pounding, proggish but pedestrian power metal, fronted by a mid-operatic female vocalist, landed somewhere between the goth metal world, old Gathering, low Nightwish and Lullacry. Besides the glut-filling songs, the most annoying thing about the record is the trebly, screechy, almost distorted, plainly just too damn bright, recording. Nice idea: power that verges on thrash with calm female vocals, but none of the parts excel to any sort of manic extent, resulting in a lack of urgency to care about the whole. I'm surprised really, 'cos the parts and the whole felt fresher on A World Betrayed, the band's debut. Might be two things: a) a passage of time (two years) that has added dozens of power metal albums to the fray, many at the hard end like this, and b) a subconscious nagging feeling that the band has turned in the same record again.
Rating 6

Atopine said:
Besides the glut-filling songs, the most annoying thing about the record is the trebly, screechy, almost distorted, plainly just too damn bright, recording. Nice idea: power that verges on thrash with calm female vocals, but none of the parts excel to any sort of manic extent, resulting in a lack of urgency to care about the whole. I'm surprised really, 'cos the parts and the whole felt fresher on A World Betrayed, the band's debut. Might be two things: a) a passage of time (two years) that has added dozens of power metal albums to the fray, many at the hard end like this, and b) a subconscious nagging feeling that the band has turned in the same record again.
Rating 6
lol, seems like this guy needs I new stereo. He says he liked AWD better - BUT at the same time he more or less says that the production on PIB sucks because "it's so trebly" and that's contradicting... because I've already heard the MP3 teasers of PIB and so I know for a fact that - especially compared to AWD - the production is NOT trebly. AWD had a clicky bass drum sound, but on the new album it's really low sounding. And as a lot of people keep saying: you can hear the bass clearly all of the time (even better than on AWD), which is really uncommon. I already know the answer to his question why "parts and the whole felt fresher on A World Betrayed" ...it's because c) he's almost deaf and needs to get a proper sounding stereo.

Ok, I briefly chatted to Kari over about 2 hours ago and he just said hi and that he was leaving for Finland in 1 hour. I am good friends with him as we all are I'm sure. :)

Atopine said:
Ok, I briefly chatted to Kari over about 2 hours ago and he just said hi and that he was leaving for Finland in 1 hour. I am good friends with him as we all are I'm sure. :)
Cool...so Micke is coming over to Finland with them, as planned? I'd die to see one of the shows. (Micke is my favourite bassplayer!! :D )

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure he is because it would be posted on the site if there was a change in plans.

Nico16 said:
Cool...so Micke is coming over to Finland with them, as planned? I'd die to see one of the shows. (Micke is my favourite bassplayer!! :D )

I would like to be at those shows too, even if Micke isn't my favourite bassplayer ;) .
I have to say that I prefer Steve Harris or Steve DiGiorgio (or anyone who's called Steve and plays the bass)

Tauredil said:
I would like to be at those shows too, even if Micke isn't my favourite bassplayer ;) .
I have to say that I prefer Steve Harris or Steve DiGiorgio (or anyone who's called Steve and plays the bass)
Hehe, I noticed that "Steve" thing as well; Steve Cloutier is also a very good, but not so well known bassist :) (BTW the rule also applies to gitarrists... Steve Vai comes to mind :lol: )

Well, technically Micke might not be as good as Harris or DiGiogio, etc. ...but it's his personal style that I love... Attitude means a lot, IMO. It's the same with guitarrists...my favourite guitarplayer is Michael Amott although there are thousands of better guitarrist out there, hell even his little brother in Arch Enemy plays better than him if you look at it from a pure technical aspect :) But when I heard Mickes playing on AWD I finally decided to start playing bass...I wanted to do that for a long time, but that was the final thing that pulled the trigger, so to say ;)

Nico16 said:
Hehe, I noticed that "Steve" thing as well; Steve Cloutier is also a very good, but not so well known bassist :) (BTW the rule also applies to gitarrists... Steve Vai comes to mind :lol: )

Well, technically Micke might not be as good as Harris or DiGiogio, etc. ...but it's his personal style that I love... Attitude means a lot, IMO. It's the same with guitarrists...my favourite guitarplayer is Michael Amott although there are thousands of better guitarrist out there, hell even his little brother in Arch Enemy plays better than him if you look at it from a pure technical aspect :)

But when I heard Mickes playing on AWD I finally decided to start playing bass...I wanted to do that for a long time, but that was the final thing that pulled the trigger, so to say ;)

I've started playing bass because of Steve Harris. Iron Maiden was the band that made me listen to metal. That's perhaps I always liked the bands in which you can clearly hear the bass. In the other bands, there's something missing.
Btw, there are many bassplayer better than Harris (even if he has an incredible right hand) but ... he is the man!

I really like Micke's sound. What bass and amp does he use?

I think Ronnie used a Rockbass (or perhaps a warwick) during the metallian tour

Tauredil said:
I really like Micke's sound. What bass and amp does he use?

I think Ronnie used a Rockbass (or perhaps a warwick) during the metallian tour
Micke used a 5 string Hamer on both albums, if I'm not mistaken (with tuning G C F A# D#). He also got an Ibanez Ergodyne 5-string which he wanted to use for the recording of PIB, but when they were preparing the instruments in the studio they noticed that the bass created some static noises that shouldn't be there... so he used his old Hamer bass for those recordings as well. On AWD the bass was recorded through a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier ...the same that was used for the guitars. And he plays with a pick ;) ...unlike me, I use the same 3-finger picking technique that Steve DiGiorgio uses (1232123...) only difference is that I'm damn slow and DiGiorgio is fast as hell ;)

Heh, you guys rule, I play bass also, because well the bass deserves more credit plus it sounds cooler and it's easier to play sometimes than guitar.