What a band description! Check this out...

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Hammers of Misfortune at epitonic.com. This is an excerpt...

Hammers of Misfortune borrow from various forms of metal -- Scandinavian black metal perhaps more than anything else, but also from speed and industrial metal -- as well as heavy goth rock, prog rock, creepy dark ambient, and even Celtic folk rock. The obvious similar band reference is Neurosis, who incorporate a lot of similar influences, but Hammers of Misfortune is pretty different, perhaps most noticeably in their considerable theatricality, which recalls the Swans to some degree. These are incredibly talented musicians with a truly unique vision. The band's first album, The Bastard, came out in early 2001.

I know music is inherently subjective, but it'd be interesting to see some comments from others here who know the Hammers.

To mention Neurosis and Swans, however interesting, is kind of odd IMO. Thoughts?

Neurosis and Swans? I don't see it.

Megadeth in the 70s = The August Engine
Jethro Tull playing black(ish) metal = The Bastard

NAD said:
Neurosis and Swans? I don't see it.

Megadeth in the 70s = The August Engine
Jethro Tull playing black(ish) metal = The Bastard
Right. I suddenly got surprised because I thought that there might be some Neurosis or Swans albums out there that lean (however slightly) towards this retro-doom-celtic-metal sound that the Hammers and Slough Feg typically deliver.

The August Engine = my review description
The Bastard = my upcoming review description

I just noticed "industrial metal." HUH!?? Where the fuck does anyone hear that!?

"as well as heavy goth rock, prog rock, creepy dark ambient, and even Celtic folk rock" I agree with all this though, although by "heavy goth rock" I think they mean doom. :p

I think it's all pretty incestuous so people get things muddled. Check this newsclipping from the San Francisco Bay Guardian:

You won't find many distorted guitars in Amber Asylum's music, but the metal connection isn't so far-fetched. In addition to Rath's and Wiener's past metal associations – both were members of the Gault, and Wiener also played bass in local black-metal legends Weakling – several other Amber Asylum contributors have played in metal bands. Their previous bassist, Erica Stoltz, was a member of Lost Goat and Hammers of Misfortune; Neurosis's Von Till played on 1998's Songs of Sex and Death (Release); and guitarist John Cobbett, who will be joining the band onstage for part of the Jan. 26 show, is a pillar of the local metal scene, playing in a number of bands including Ludicra, Hammers of Misfortune, and Slough Feg.

Fuck it, I'm seriously considering moving to San Francisco. Honestly, I think the next few years of metal will be redefined in North California. I'd move out there and set up a small indie label. Anyone want in?