What about an acoustic album?

Brave Yester Days

New Metal Member
Sep 11, 2005
Québec, Canada
It might have already been a thread about it but it's sunday morning and I'm too leazy to look into the search, I'm so busy listening to Katatonia :D Anyways, it came to my mind that it would be awesome to have a nacoutic album, since katatonia songs have the power and the feeling to be played acoustic. Maybe a double album with new acoustic songs and acoustic versions of old ones hehe

It isn't a bad idea, but I think double acoustic album would be too much. But an EP... maybe live...

hmmm......as well as I think some of Katatonias songs would be acoustic I think it would be kind of a bad idea.......I have been extremely happy the way they have been doing things......an acoustic song when the mood hits.....I think the idea of Katatonia thinking hard about what they want to put out and going "hey...lets do an acoustic alblum" is what sounds bad about it to me.....it is my opinion that Katatonia do what they do completely naturally......so if they naturally end up writing a bunch of songs that are acoustic....it will be then that they will release an acoustic alblum....I am in no way holding my breath for that to happen....

Katatonias sound is very much based on this atmospheric leadguitars, lying low in the mix with lots of effects, and in addition to that the static pumping distortion guitars (at least for older stuff that is, newer contain more riffage). I just think the sound would loose all atmosphere and feel with acoustic guitars. Even the cleanparts are very seldome played with accoustic. Some might say "but that makes an acc. album even more interesting, its like the opposite duuude", but I wouldnt recomend it, as I wouldnt recomend an acoustic, lets say, entombed, record ;D

An acoustic album- well, why not!
Those guys could even record their very private toilet noises on a double cd, I would certainly buy it. Imagine the shitting and pissing of each member regularly recorded every day during, let`s say, one month. Very inspiring, it would truly kick the shit out of my ass!!!
And as bonus tracks an authentic live performance of their personal in- the- shower- singing- faves!
Or even the whole thing on dvd!!!!!! Yes guys, this could make you rich. Put the mics and cameras in your bathrooms now!

An album with aqoustic versions of old songs probably would be interesting but nothing more.
An EP with new aqoustic songs seems like a quite brilliant one.

Acoustic album from easy acoustic songs (say, discouraged up) would be kind of blatant and easy.

Now, going on from pre-Discouraged backwards, Northern Palace, BMD songs... Dance... now that's a challenge.

Following the same path of Opeth with Damnation is lame IMO.

The only way I would want this is if it was an acoustic gig released on cd.

Don't get me wrong, I thought damnation was ok...but I don't find myself listening to it very much at all, it's not the opeth that i want to hear even though it's good music. Why release an album that removes important elements of the sound that you've worked to create? I find Damnation to be too monotonous to succeed completely, I think they tried to pull a Porcupine Tree type album and failed. Every song has the same emotional tone, it's just not varied enough without the metal influences. Especially bothersome is when the song seems to demand a heavier part and it just doesn't come...it's a restraint of creativity.

Even if i loved damnation though, if katatonia did it it would just seem like they were copying Opeth's idea. And...quite possibly that would be true. I don't support bands who try to trick their fans, and that is what damnation did in a way...gaining new fans that otherwise wouldn't like your core music. You could even read some reviews for GR, saying "I thought Opeth was ditching the death vocals, this is horrible. They should have stayed with their new style on damnation". Basically those fans were suckered into buying GR, just because (and i don't blame them) they didn't bother to do the research and find out that Damnation was a one-off project.

Katatonia will never record an acoustic album, it could be an ep, but I would hardly believe in it. The only songs I can call acoustic (with the great approximation) is: A Darkness Coming, Omerta, O How I Enjoy the Light. It would be nice to hear the real acoustic version of this songs, because there will be no big loss in the sound. Nevertheless, I don't think I need two versions of one Katatonia song (I was truly disappointed with the fact that there will be three versions of My Twin: original, single edit, opium dub), so I will not enjoy such ep. An acoustic album is a great idea, but not in Katatonia style. Opeth have proved it with their solid work Damnation, but without Deliverance Damnation costs nothing. I think, first I need to hear Katatonia playing a real acoustic song, then I will say if I want an acoustic album.

Opeth - Windowpain