What are other 2004 year end lists looking like?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Metal Rules:

1 - Exodus - Tempo of the Damned
2 - Nightwish - Once
3 - Iced Earth - Glorious Burden
4 - Jag Panzer - Casting the Stones
5 - Evergrey - Inner Circle
6 - Edguy - Hellfire Club
7 - Saxon - Lionheart
8 - Persuader - Evolution Purgatory
9 - Motorhead - Inferno
10 - Megadeth - System has Failed

The rest of the list here: http://www.metal-rules.com/polls/bestof2004.htm

It's cool because half the bands on their top 35 I thought had broken up 20 years ago.

That list has near zero variety. Weak.

Oh and I've heard a whopping 2 of those albums, feel free to ignore my opinion. :Spin:

Thing about Metal Rules is that they love the trad/power/speed stuff and they make sure all their writers follow suit. Unless of course it's just a miraculous coincidence that 90% of the writers have the exact same taste...

...with that said, I thought our own lists were reasonably aligned this year. Maybe it just works out that way, I really don't know.

wow, I've heard exactly none of those Top 10.

here's Tartarean Desire:

1. AMon Amarth
2. Sonata Arctica
3. Mayhem
4. In FLames
5. Samael
6. Darkthrone
7. Therion
8. Deicide
9. The haunted
10. Enslaved

there is one on EARACHE's site as well ... where EXODUS also made the Top 10

but on RC ... we have ANTHRAX ... I will never forgive you for that :Smug:

I just don't understand people who only listen one particular style of music. I mean even people that listen to nothing but metal can have variety in their taste by listening to Burzum, Hate Eternal, and Iron Maiden. Those that listen to only one specific genre make my ass twitch (not in the gay way).

lurch70 said:
but on RC ... we have ANTHRAX ... I will never forgive you for that :Smug:
Well, it appeared on one individual list. And give him some breathing room for crissakes, he's a fan boy! He's even got the tattoo!

At MetalReview we did individual lists and one combined staff/reader list. We listed about 100 albums nominated by readers and staff, and asked everyone to list their top 20. Points were assigned based on placement.
Obviously, with that many voices, the result was a list that nobody can completely agree with. Some great albums made it, some great ones didn't.

1) Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt 509 points/35 total votes
2) Mastodon - Leviathan 366/26
3) Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake 356/26
4) Necrophagist - Epitaph 313/22
5) Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh 276/24
6) Orphaned Land - Mabool 256/16
7) Decapitated - The Negation 249/20
8) Into Eternity - Buried in Oblivion 226/17
9) Isis - Panopticon 222/15
10) Behemoth - Demigod 216/15
11) Anata - Under a Stone With No Inscription 209/17
12) Fintroll - Nattfodd 202/18
13) Capharnaum - Fractured 198/17
14) Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns 192/16
15) Neurosis - Eye of Every Storm 187/15
16) Borknagar - Epic 180/19
17) Unearth - The Oncoming Storm 177/16
18) Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor 176/12
19) Wintersun - Wintersun 174/15
20) Vehemence - Helping the World to See 171/14

matt99_crew said:
1) Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt 509 points/35 total votes
Wow - clear cut winner there. That was like our Drudkh worship then, except Drudkh is at least interesting.

6) Orphaned Land - Mabool 256/16
8) Into Eternity - Buried in Oblivion 226/17
Good for them, well deserved.

I like the Drudkh, but the Hate Forest release was better IMO. But yeah, I think Drudkh got the ol' Negura Bunget treatment this year, in that, like JayK said elsewhere, everyone discovered Drudkh this year and went ape shit overhype mode.

yes, I am a fan boy, and love anything they put out. sue me. thats my list and Im sticking to it.

and as you can see, I am not only stuck on one type of music either. I just happen to genuinely love the music.

evil c.

I happened to see Metal Rules Top 100 and top 50 all time lists, and I was so pissed off at their slant, and arrogance, I sent them a email, and posted on their forum. I actually got three of the main reviewers to agree their list was far from perfect, and representative of their own insular tastes. And I proposed a democratic vote; but with the smucks that visit the site, Im sure it wouldnt have been much different.

They have absolutely awful reviews too.

J. said:
I like the Drudkh, but the Hate Forest release was better IMO.

Easily. The atmosphere on that album is incredible. It's like being hurled onto a midnight battlefield in a desolate valley. I didn't think the Drudkh release was as strong, but I still enjoyed it.

Speaking of Drudkh, the beginning of "Sunwheel" reminded me a lot of the beginning of Agalloch's "Dead Winter Days." It took me awhile to figure out what it was that sounded similar, kind of irritating.

EDIT: That Metal Review list was pretty good overall as well.

but at least NB are not some form of NSBM like Drudkh ... I like the MetalReview list also.

I can't understand what the fuck they're saying anyhow, or if they are even words to begin with. What the hell is Drudkh referred to as? Heathen Metal? . . . I don't know what that means.
JayKeeley said:
We're all just my pals at the end of the day.
It's true.