What are some "epic" or well narrated albums?

Sven Pakkanen

Ein Windir
I am looking for a specific type of music that I am having trouble finding.

I am looking for highly narrated composition, as if the music itself is telling a story, not the lyrics. I like melodic death metal, blackened death metal, and black metal similar to Dissection and Dawn (both arguably borderline blackened death metal).

The examples at the bottom contain some of what I am looking for, but not quite there. I wish I could better explain what I am after, but I am going to leave it at this and hope I get at least some result. Thanks a lot in advance.

The last two are perhaps the best examples I can come up with, with long instrumental sections that have a unique feel to them.

Dawn - Ride the Wings of Pestilence

Morbid Angel - Summoning Redemption

Morbid Angel - He Who Sleeps

Last edited by a moderator:
Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor (probably the best example of what you're looking for)
Elend - The Umbersun (not metal, but still fits the description of what you're looking for quite well)
Dark Forest - Aurora Borealis
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness (one song, one hour, pretty fucking epic if you ask me)
Bergthron - Leben und Lebenswille
All three Agalloch albums (obviously)
Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry
Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice
Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones

Arghoslent.

The subject matter may not be what you want to hear, but all their albums have the elements you want. Start with Incorrigible Bigotry, since the production might be a turn on for you.

I'll second Windir, Primordial, and Agalloch because these are bands everyone should know anyway.

Shit, throw in Animal Hate, that band has some tastiness to it.
Also, Bolt Thrower's early shit. THROUGH THE EYE OF TERROR!

Thanks a lot guys, I'm working my way through the suggestions now. As for "Listen to progressive" I like progressive just fine, but I guess what I am looking for is something less progressive than straight up progressive. And I really like dark music, progressive usually isn't dark enough. (Opeth is great).

So far I am a fan of Primordial, I already had some Windir but not all of them, got it all now, and I am looking for Disillusion albums now.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.