What are the chances that Iconoclast will release with a 5.1 Surround Sound DVD?

MegaDTSX

New Metal Member
Mar 1, 2011
I'm not too familiar with Nuclear Blast as a record label so I'm not sure if its something they do with albums very often. I pray that this album releases with a 5.1 mix.

I think 5.1 DVD mixes included with albums really helps curtail some piracy as well as being a great incentive to buy the physical album in a store.

I can't tell you much about the label or the odds...but I do know that it would be AWESOME! The only thing I know about the label is it has sick bands like cradle of filth etc and they are well known for promoting bands decently.

Symphony X picked a good home for a label and I wish them the best. They need to do a show with cradle of filth so I have an excuse to see them and not feel out of place among metalheads haha.

I'm afraid Nuclear Blast doesn't want to spend the extra money needed for a 5.1 release. At least that's what some musicians who are in bands from that label told me.

It's a pity, since I'm deeply interested in 5.1 mixes and it would definitely enhance the listening experience. "Paradise Lost" sounds fantastic in surround.

5.1 DVD? Pfftt. How about a hi-def SACD or DVD-A?

And if you think it can't be done, I point you in the direction of the "Consign to Oblivion" SACD by Epica. Far and away sonically superior to the 'regular' CD.

5.1 DVD? Pfftt. How about a hi-def SACD or DVD-A?

And if you think it can't be done, I point you in the direction of the "Consign to Oblivion" SACD by Epica. Far and away sonically superior to the 'regular' CD.

Yea DVD-A is better than Dolby or DTS but I assume it costs more..

That really sucks about that likelyhood of a 5.1 mix :(

Good luck. I'd show you the graph of CD sales and how they're dive-bombing, but then I'd also have to show you the graph of DVD-A and SACD sales and how they never left the ground. It's just not a popular format. It wasn't successfully marketed, widely distributed or carried by enough major labels, nor was it picked up by the consumer base. End result is that it will quietly fade away like MINI-Disc, despite any claims of quality.

I just gotta comment here. I bought Paradise Lost in the normal stereo CD when it came out only to find a 5.1 mix on the shelves shortly thereafter---Grrrrr. Anyhow, like one of the other people said, it DOES sound fantastic in 5.1. A DVD audio version would be awesome. I used to sell Acuras for a living and they were first (and maybe still the ONLY--not sure) to have DVD audio as a standard item. When I first heard it I was blown away and immediately went out to buy a DVD/SACD player. Unfortunately, as another poster said, DVD audio has not really garnered the attention of the average listener and has not grown in the marketplace. And like another said, there are tons of people listening to their ipods with the crappy earbuds that come with the ipod----so they don't care. What a shame that many young people have never heard music that is not compressed! I truly hope that SOME form of surround is available on the new release for those of us who have the systems to fully take advantage of higher quality recordings. I might also add that Dolby ProLogic 2 does a really nice job with the stereo release of Paradise Lost---not a replacement for a true 5.1---but pretty cool.

I wll see you all at the Trocadero show in Phila. in April. Can't wait !!! :)

"and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"