What are ways to record music outside the PC?

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
What are ways to record outside the PC? Recently my mic input has broke and I can no longer record music on my computer. So I need some alternatives that will record and convert the files into mp3, so I can put it on the computer. A 4 Track Recorder with CD recording availability would be perfect, so what suggestions do you have? I'd like to spend no more than 100 $ on this.

I have a Boss Micro BR and it's an excellent little recorder. You can master with it, convert to mp3 and tweak the settings for numerous effects. You can record digitally with it but I use it mostly for recording band practice, using the built-in mic. The built-in mic is surprisingly very clear - it will record demo quality during the band practices.

The only real negatives are that it's a bit tough to navigate through the menus (I was forced to read the manual).
Having just one mic to record a band means you have to find the perfect place to put it and adjust everyone's volume around the drums.
It's outside of your price range at around $230.

If you're just looking to record at home and you already have software that you're familiar with, you might want to just get a toneport (like dude said).

I have a Tascam Prota-Studio 4 track that works great, but it only is around $100 I believe, and $60 some dollars for the Intel Inport to connect it to the computer and trasnfer the recordings.