What are you listening to today?

I've been reading about Borealis' new album Fall From Grace and I'm psyched as fuck about it! Their debut was great for a self-produced, self-released album. This one just mud stomps! Also it's cool that they're signed to the same label as Seventh Wonder (Lion Music). One tiny problem is that "Finest Hour" is waaaaaay too short - although it's 4 minutes, from 2:46 onwards it's just someone speaking over a drumbeat and keyboard atmosphere. I would've loved hearing that kickass chorus at least one more time.

Absolute best of luck to these fellow 'nucks! :D

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...realis-sign-lion-music-new-cd-fall-grace.html
http://www.myspace.com/borealismetal

2- new tracks from the upcoming TURISAS cd. EPIC SHITE MATES!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-B4hP-t85M&playnext=1&list=PLA03BDE6D92A4D30A[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
^
edit- I'm still in process of discovering TURISAS...and glad I found tracks from thier previous cd. Much better than the new stuff imo.

Cursed Be to Iron is the nuts!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MJHJG8N7L0&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsC_k0TZXro&feature=related[/ame]

What can you say...Pagan's Mind continues to amaze. Viggo's guitar tone and style is top notch...imo he is the modern day progressive version of Eddie Van Halen. Of course using EVHs gear doesn't hurt either.

Recently getting into some Amon Amarth and Heidevolk as well. Only a few chosen tracks- not totally accustomed to this style but variety is the spice of life eh?

Finally got my hands on and listening to Bloodbounds Tabula Rasa...imo its thier best release. What else to say...Urban:worship:

Finally got my hands on and listening to Bloodbounds Tabula Rasa...imo its thier best release. What else to say...Urban:worship:

Better now than never! :) Yeah, that is a great album indeed. Still one of my favorites, I play it once a week at least, though I'm having it for two years now...

New Serenity? Cool, I missed that this is already released. Will have to get that, the previous album is simply amazing. One of the rare albums where I like each and every song, including the bonus track.

Currently I'm blasting Demon Desire of Wuthering Heights. I don't like all songs of them, but some, and especially this one, are truly great. I love that piano along with the fast music. Morten is a hell of a drummer.

^
I feel exactly the same way towards W.H.. Just revisited some of thier music and a chosen few tracks will make my next playlist in that genre for sure.

Tabula Rasa is fucking STELLAR imo. Definitely the best album of the first 3, but my opinion may change after the new album, Unholy Cross, gets here this coming week!

The new Serenity album is great, but I'm also playing new JAG PANZER - Scourge of the Light, and while its typical JP, it has yet to get me hooked.

I'm also listening to new Mercenary (sadly missing Mikkel Sandager behind the mic), and its good - different, but good. I downloaded it the other week and have listened to it at least once a day and recently found myself pre-ordering the North American release so thats got to say something.

I actually did a ton of CD shopping this week, mostly from CM Distro, and found myself buying:

Bloodbound - Nosferatu
Bloodbound - Book of the Dead + Bonus
Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa (Japanese Import)
Bloodbound - Unholy Cross
Mercenary - Metamorphisis
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor (German Import)
Nevermore - Enemies of Reality (Remixed and Remastered)
Bruce Dickinson - Alive (3 disc box set)
Iced Earth - Alive In Athens (2 disc jewel set - 3rd copy I've gone through lol)
Warmachine - The Beginning of the End
Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver (also my 4th copy)
Evergrey - Glorious Collision (rare limited edition pre-order limited to 500 world wide signed by the band with exclusive custom shirt, demo for the Dark Discovery album, demo for Recreation Day album and others)
Nocturnal Rites - The 8th Sin (cd/dvd import)
Nocturnal Rites - New World Messiah
Nocturnal Rites - Grand Illusion
Steel Attack - Carpe DiEnd
Iced Earth - Horror Show (2 disc limited edition jewel w/ slipcase and Jon Schaffer interview)
Iced Earth - Alive in Athens (mini LP 3CD reissue [aka Slave to the Dark Box set release])

Thats a ton of shit lol! Can't wait for it to get here. Also, because I made my CM Distro purchases as two separate transactions, both over $75, I got a free 10 cd Century Media grab-bag and a free 10 cd Nuclear Blast grab-bag. Thats 20 free cds!! Nuts I tell you! Nuts! :hotjump::worship::OMG::kickass::headbang: :worship:

Good list BURNT...that should keep you busy! lol

As far as Bloodbound? My take on them is...well...I'm kinda new to them. But from what I'm hearing the new disc is more of an old power metal style- done well...but stuff we've heard over and again maybe?

Heya Muz,
di
New to Bloodbound eh? Well, I can tell you that their sound is different and evolving on each album. Nosferatu was very much in the Iron Maiden NWOBHM vein of sound, the dual harmonized galloping guitar riffs with Urban's soaring vocals. Book of the Dead was a slightly more modernized version of the sound the band had laid out on Nosferatu. Tabula Rasa took their sound in a whole new progressive direction giving them a much more "complete" sound when comparing Tabula to the first two albums. Unholy Cross, from what I've heard of it so far, sounds like the band is reverting back to the sound from Book of the Dead, but I really must reserve my opinion until I've heard the entire album.

You will definitely love Bloodbound after you give each album a few spins. Stand out tracks for me are: Desdemonamelia, Nosferatu, Behind the Moon, Book of the Dead, The Tempter, Sweet Dreams of Madness, Dominion Five, Tabula Rasa and Tabula Rasa Pt. II

Thanks for the info BURNT. Though I have in the past listened to samples of all thier stuff...TAB RAS is the only CD that really jumped out at me! Thus meaning "new" to being the first CD I've owned and listened to entirely. I will however be revisiting thier work

Yeah, Bloodbound without Urban is generic and lackluster. That goes for Book Of The Dead as well as Unholy Cross.

I love Nosferatu though it mostly consits of riffs already heard a 100 times before. Urban just takes this album to a whole different level. With Tabula Rasa they found the way to their own style and it's still one of my favorite albums. I really would have liked to see them go on this way with Urban...

However, back on topic:

Just listening to Gethsemane of Conception, an amazing song. Roy Khan on vocals, he was in this band before he joined Kamelot I think. And I guess I will like this band more then Kamelot...

Yeah, the new Bloodbound is rather underwhelming. In other news, I've been rediscovering the absolute genius that is Iced Fucking Earth's Alive In Athens...best live album ever.

<--- Iced Earth - The Path I Choose [Iced Earth-Alive In Athens (rerelease)-3CD-2008-QTXMp3] 05:44 [Heavy Metal] :kickass:

In the recent free 10 CD Grab Bag I got from CM Distro came BEHEMOTH - The APOSTASY (featuring Warrel Dane on the track Inner Sanctum).

Its a fucking brutally awesome blackend death metal album with a phenominal concept behind it, which you can read in the liner notes of the release. Behemoth is among the leaders of the Polish Extreme Metal scene along with such enduring acts as Vader and Graveland. Throughout their colorful career Behemoth has morphed from their primitive Black Metal beginnings into the devastating, occult influenced Death Metal band that we know them to be today. As with their previous records, Behemoth's 'The Apostasy' brings us another slab of solid Death Metal, while not being too different, but not too similar, to their earlier works.

The first thing that can be noted about the new album is the production. Whereas the previous four Death Metal albums in their catalogue had a crisp, almost mechanical feel, 'The Apostasy' brings a very organic side to the music. Every instrument, from the electrics to the acoustics, is equalized in such a way as to make this album feel like a living and breathing entity.

Regarding performance, every member of Behemoth is as spot on as always. Seth and Nergal manage to churn out riff after riff of pummeling Death Metal. Orion, while shadowed like most bass players, puts out an honorable performance as he always has, though he really comes to show his skill when performing live. Then, of course, there is Inferno, one of the most talented drummers in the Extreme Metal world. While you won't be disappointed if you've come looking for blast beats, he is talented enough in the creative spectrum to add flavor to his drumming, especially with this crash and ride work, along with some of his almost "tribal" passages.

Nergal always seems to have some fresh ideas, and there are plenty of aspects unique to this album that you won't find often in Death Metal. Various brass instruments, a piano performance by Poland's own Leszek Mozdzer, along with an eerie vocal performance by Warrel Dane are all tasty aspects of this album. Lyrically the music is still of a high quality. The content varies around the "usual" themes played on by Behemoth such as numerous pantheons, ancient culture, history, and the power in man. Depending on how you view Nergal's previous lyrical output, you're bound to have the same ideas about these. They'll range from cheesy as hell to intellectually superior to other bands. With songs titles like "Slaying the Prophets ov Isa" and "Christgrinding Avenue" what can go wrong?

A fair amount of Tolkki-era Stratovarius, particularly Elements Pt. 1 and 2. Two things about Pt. 2 though...

"Luminous" may be considered one of the pussiest songs ever written but it's one of my favourites. Very atmospheric and shit.

I just can't listen to "Know the Difference." Kotipelto can sing out of key at times but the chorus in that song is tormenting, in particular, his very awkward pitching in "...accept things..." and "...anymore..." I heard it was supposedly Tolkki making Kotipelto sing uncomfortably high from time to time but I digress. I can't imagine how or why they thought placing that on the final product was a good idea.

Lately, some tracks from REBELLION. Miklagard- The History...and Sagas Of Iceland. Great sound and style imo...but a bit repetative in thier songs.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIN3eVYR0TY&feature=related[/ame]