What are you listening to today?

Just enjoying some old school Mercenary with Screaming from the Heavens off their sophomore release, Everblack.

Fucking epic as hell, bringing in the sooooooo 80's power ballad opening rolling right into the melo-death metal they're known for. LOVE IT :devil::worship:

Last edited by a moderator:
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction

Yeah I had to "steal" this so I know I'm not buying a total piece of unlistenable shit like "Addicted" was. I will buy this. :)

First listen: :zzz:
Second: :eek:
Third: :err:
Fourth: :popcorn:
Fifth: :)
Sixth: *places a pre-order*

I like how they implemented "Processional" into the last part of "The Mighty Masturbator," good finish especially for a 16:28 track.
If I have one gripe, I think Devin went over his head saying something about this album being heavier than SYL, it's more like Ziltoid meets Ki or some shit.

As for Ghost; I'll pass on that one. I haven't heard it and don't really want to.

On vacation right now, and splurging money here and there and I just picked up the limited edition boxset of Opeth's The Roundhouse Tapes (2cd + DVD), the limited edition of Soilwork's Sworn to a Great Divide (cd +dvd) and Arch Enemy's two disc enhanced edition of Wages of Sin. So far so good! Also waiting on the arrival of my pre-order of the new Black Label Society album "The Song Remains Not the Same" to come in the mail.

My other most amazing epic heart racing have to listen to every mutha f-in day favorite band...well okay, atleast every other day!

TYR- from thier upcoming new release The Lay Of Thrym.

A few songs from Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy and it's pretty much a FUCK YEAH!!! Glad I pre-ordered the bonus pack. I'll save the "album of the year" stuff for after a few listens to this album in its entirety. :)

Yesterday and today...just finished listening to the rest of the new TYR cd- The Lay Of Thrym. And not just because I'm on this (Pyramaze) forum, but I would have to say the last time I was this impressed and absolutely blown away and moved by a cd...it was LOTBC. Tyr has definitely continued to refine thier sound and tend to be more up-tempo power metal...but still have some folk elements. But I tend not to try and figure out thier exact metal style anymore...simply just enjoy thier quality epic metal! 'Thrym cd is entirely a stellar effort imo. Including the Black Sabbath / Rainbow cover tunes as well < ( not shown below).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w7VR-N-3Ww&feature=related[/ame]

Listening to Symphony X - Iconclast. Godly. Just godly. Love the title track, and though this one is so much heavier than past works, the song writing is just stellar and Russell Allen is just amazing as always. He truly steals the show.

Listening to Symphony X - Iconclast. Godly. Just godly. Love the title track, and though this one is so much heavier than past works, the song writing is just stellar and Russell Allen is just amazing as always. He truly steals the show.

Same here, although they did a remarkable job of keeping the album contained. I (gradually) got over my disdain for them which was brought on by their PL abortion -- Good thing I did too, I would have missed out. :D

I'm listening to the title track as I type and it's definitely epically proportionate, I don't think that chorus is among their best (FIGHT!! FIGHT!! FIGHT!!??), it's not too bad though.

I didn't grab the full album of course. I pre-ordered the 2-disc+t-shirt+picture set some weeks ago and wanna be somewhat surprised when I pop the CDs in... :kickass:

Update: I typed that whole thing using my shitty PS3 keypad, I deserve a fucking medal! :yow:

It seems the loving crowd over in the SX (no I'm not abbreviating it as "SyX" or "SymX", fuck off) forums are pretty much "meh" at best about the full album. Yeah it's a sucking shame that they've all but cast off the "Symphony" in their namesake and are merely "X" now as Det. CB put it. (props man!) but somehow I dig it.
I'm glad that Pinnella isn't completely buried in this album, his keys really bring that much-needed atmosphere especially in the loudness-war inspired production. I have far more good to say about this album than bad but I'll just leave it here for now. By the way, "Light Up the Night" owns faces! So here's to Heavy X! :D

As for my "Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy" follow-up, yup I was hasty based on sampling some songs from the album. "Eyes of Fire" is one of the most fucking amazing fucking songs they've ever motherfucking written. :worship:

But the lyrics make me wanna punch through a car window and fistfuck myself as there's far too many Strato-esque moments in the album where Nils is practically saying shit like "believe in yourself and you can accomplish anything", I'm surprised Fred Rogers wasn't listed in the thank-you's for the lyrical inspiration. Lyrics is one of the last things I care a lot about but this is damn near Care Bear shit. Follow Your Way is an exception though as it's another personal favourite with a very atmospheric and vocally amazing chorus.

I'll digress now... It's a solid album and unmistakeably Pagan's Mind, but stripped down, more melodic, and more accessible. :D

Here are my top 3 picks:

1. Eyes of Fire
  2. Follow Your Way
  3. Never Walk Alone

Yeah, I just gave Iconoclast a first listen...it fucking rips. SymphX definitely has embraced a more direct, in-your-face feel, but they haven't lost the "symphony" like some are saying, it's just used a bit differently. However, to be honest, I never considered them to be a true symphonic power band...I would classify bands like Epica, Nightwish, Therion, and now Serenity in that category as they use real orchestras as a basis for their sound, rather than just keys...just as I would not consider our beloved Pyramaze to be symphonic either. But that said, it's a damn cool album, sounds more complete than Paradise Lost.

Yeah, I just gave Iconoclast a first listen...it fucking rips. SymphX definitely has embraced a more direct, in-your-face feel, but they haven't lost the "symphony" like some are saying, it's just used a bit differently. However, to be honest, I never considered them to be a true symphonic power band...I would classify bands like Epica, Nightwish, Therion, and now Serenity in that category as they use real orchestras as a basis for their sound, rather than just keys...just as I would not consider our beloved Pyramaze to be symphonic either. But that said, it's a damn cool album, sounds more complete than Paradise Lost.

Yes. Yes it does. I've gone from hating (PL) to liking to loving the new style they use here. Especially "Reign in Madness" damn that song is a monster! :kickass: And "Light Up the Night" really fuses the old and new together into a total facekicker. :worship:

I actually enjoy Russ' raspy vocal style now... Maybe listening to the disastrous "The Showdown" album in a way helped out with that. All that album did was bore me. :err:

I have spoiled all but 2 or 3 songs from the album. As I said earlier I ordered the full deal so it'd be nice to save some surprise factor when I stick those CDs in.

Holy shit, just discovered the mighty SABATON.

Can't get enough of Primo Victoria

And

Panzer Battalion

Fucking awesome band! Can't wait to see them on tour with Evergrey in the fall!!!!

Good band, good songs...

You also might want to check out their probably best album "The Art of War". I'd stronly recommend the title track, Cliffs of Gallipoli and my favorite song of them, Ghost Division! :)

Just listening to Pantera's Cowboys from Hell - I almost forgot how much I like(d) that album. And Vulgar Display of Power of course...

I'm listening to some of Breis' remixes of music from some of the Megaman X games:

Megaman X2 - Intro Stage

Megaman X4 - Sky Lagoon

Megaman X5 - X vs. Zero

Megaman X6 - Infinity Mijinion

I've been literally listening to Work of Art nonfuckingstop. Any fellow AOR fans here?

But in my opinion, their debut "Artwork" crushes this album.

Been listening to the new Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth.

One of my alltime fave bands...finally back! The new CD is high energy heavy...EVH's playing is absolutely ferocious here! Metal heads, don't let the single Tatoo fool you...this CD is heavy duty!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JKk0EfR0RM&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FZCwTsoQMs&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Been listening to the new Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth.

One of my alltime fave bands...finally back! The new CD is high energy heavy...EVH's playing is absolutely ferocious here! Metal heads, don't let the single Tatoo fool you...this CD is heavy duty!

I'm not the biggest Van Halen fan, but I China Town is an interesting song.

I discovered a demo song Urban did with Dark Empire on youtube. Really a stunning performance. Makes me want to hear him with Pyramaze even more.

:kickass:

Ah, here's the video: