what are you reading?

Started "Bridget Jones' Diary" last night, will finish it in another hour.

Before that, read "An American Scream: The Story of Bill Hicks"

After finishing Bridget Jone's may re-read "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman, or get started on "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide (to the Galaxy)" by Douglas Adams.

I generally read 4-5 books a week...

The Dramatic Symphony by Andrei Bely

The Twelve poems by Alexander Blok.

A bunch of other books, and I just finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I'd been hearing raves about this book, and I honestly thought it was awful. Someone mentioned Burgess, who was a omnilinguist and a good writer (prone to lots of well-written minor boks however). This Mitchell is quite like Burgess in verbal and narrative linguistic capacity, but what a pretentious, hammy, pop fiction book! I thought the English had more taste than us Americans. I cant believe it almost won the Booker.

fah-q said:
The Truth About Hillary - Edward Klein
if it's not hillarry clinton, then i'm not interested
i did read "the truth about jane" don't remember the author but it was a pretty good story about how jane's mother has tons of gay and lesbian freinds but when she realizes that her daughter is a lesbian she totally freaks out

Perpetual Catatonia said:
Well I don't normally read, but I'm reading a book that just might turn me into an avid reader.

It's called Roses are Red by James Patterson. This book is the fucking shit. Great details and an even better storyline. A great read for fans of suspenseful thrillers.
james patterson's "kiss the girls" was really fantastic

I tried reading "A Scanner Darkly", it didn't suit me, it's just far too weird, "...Electric Sheep" was odd, but I get the impresson that Dick was at the lowest point of his drug addiction when he wrote "Scanner". Infact that's probably why he wrote it in the first place.

So instead, I read this;

1857825705.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Which is a frankly amazing read, you don't need to have an interest in Boxing or even the British Mob to enjoy it, it's a really amazing biography, parts of it will bring a tear to your eye.

I'm currently reading this;

0140012133.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Three rather well to do, Victorian gentleman decide to escape the city for a week and take a trip up The Thames by paddle boat. It's basically bloody funny, and I fancy get a couple of friends together and oing it myself.

And just recently I bought this;

0142437247.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Which I'm really looking forward to reading. Anyone read it, is it as good as I think?

Hasn't Patterson just released his final book in the Alex Cross saga?

Powers said:
I tried reading "A Scanner Darkly", it didn't suit me, it's just far too weird, "...Electric Sheep" was odd, but I get the impresson that Dick was at the lowest point of his drug addiction when he wrote "Scanner". Infact that's probably why he wrote it in the first place.

So instead, I read this;

1857825705.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Which is a frankly amazing read, you don't need to have an interest in Boxing or even the British Mob to enjoy it, it's a really amazing biography, parts of it will bring a tear to your eye.

I'm currently reading this;

0140012133.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Three rather well to do, Victorian gentleman decide to escape the city for a week and take a trip up The Thames by paddle boat. It's basically bloody funny, and I fancy get a couple of friends together and oing it myself.

And just recently I bought this;

0142437247.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Which I'm really looking forward to reading. Anyone read it, is it as good as I think?

Hasn't Patterson just released his final book in the Alex Cross saga?

Did the TV show inspire you to pick up Three Men In a Boat? If so, well done - Me too! The show was totally brilliant. Dara O'Brien has me in fits of giggles every time he opens his mouth.

As for Moby Dick, it's still good, yes. I have not read it for years but it's a great fable.

As for A Scanner Darkly, it's interesting but I'm not quite sure what to make of it. The recent movie adaptation was brilliant, IMO. Very original, even if it wandered into obscurity towards the end.

derek said:
Did the TV show inspire you to pick up Three Men In a Boat? If so, well done - Me too! The show was totally brilliant. Dara O'Brien has me in fits of giggles every time he opens his mouth.

As for Moby Dick, it's still good, yes. I have not read it for years but it's a great fable.

As for A Scanner Darkly, it's interesting but I'm not quite sure what to make of it. The recent movie adaptation was brilliant, IMO. Very original, even if it wandered into obscurity towards the end.

It was the program that inspired me yes, I'd never heard of the book before hand. I hope it gets a DVD release. My favourite part of the book has to be the little summarys that appear before each chapter, it intices you to keep reading.

I'm really, looking forward to Moby Dick, I've been reading up on it, litarery theory on it etc. The idea that the whale perhaps symbolises God etc, some clever stuff.

I might have another bash at Scanner at somepoint, it was just too weird, although I have only read on other PKD book so i suppose I need to familiarise myself with his style a little more. Any recommendations? I was thinking of picking up "We Can Remember it for you Wholesale", "Minority Report" and possibly "The Man in the High Castle" before I go back to "Scanner".

Also, I need to read this;

n59920.jpg

I've read The Godfather (my favourite book ever) and The Sicilian, and if you look at these three as a loose trilogy (they were after all adaped into The Godfather trilogy) then this is the final installment. I picked up Puzo's The Family two or so years back thinking it was the final one, however it's not and aside from few pages I've never really gotten into it.

I've enough books to keep me going for a while though.

Powers said:
It was the program that inspired me yes, I'd never heard of the book before hand. I hope it gets a DVD release. My favourite part of the book has to be the little summarys that appear before each chapter, it intices you to keep reading.

I'm really, looking forward to Moby Dick, I've been reading up on it, litarery theory on it etc. The idea that the whale perhaps symbolises God etc, some clever stuff.

I might have another bash at Scanner at somepoint, it was just too weird, although I have only read on other PKD book so i suppose I need to familiarise myself with his style a little more. Any recommendations? I was thinking of picking up "We Can Remember it for you Wholesale", "Minority Report" and possibly "The Man in the High Castle" before I go back to "Scanner".

Also, I need to read this;

n59920.jpg

I've read The Godfather (my favourite book ever) and The Sicilian, and if you look at these three as a loose trilogy (they were after all adaped into The Godfather trilogy) then this is the final installment. I picked up Puzo's The Family two or so years back thinking it was the final one, however it's not and aside from few pages I've never really gotten into it.

I've enough books to keep me going for a while though.

Well, I'm not the most crazy of PKD fans, but Do androids dream of electric sheep and minority report are far easier reads than A scanner darkly. It is worth trying to grapple with though, for sure.

The lit.crit. on Moby Dick is quite extensive, it's a very interesting story. It's been done to death, but I'd consider it a book everyone should read at some point.

I hope they release three men on a boat on DVD also, best show I've seen on terrestrial TV for quite some time!

Oh and, btw, The Last Don is brilliant. I read it a while back and it's a good read.

The Secret Life of a Satanist- Blanche Barton. I've heard that LaVey actually faked significant portions of his biography... oh, well it's still interesting.

derek said:
Well, I'm not the most crazy of PKD fans, but Do androids dream of electric sheep and minority report are far easier reads than A scanner darkly. It is worth trying to grapple with though, for sure.

The lit.crit. on Moby Dick is quite extensive, it's a very interesting story. It's been done to death, but I'd consider it a book everyone should read at some point.

I hope they release three men on a boat on DVD also, best show I've seen on terrestrial TV for quite some time!

Oh and, btw, The Last Don is brilliant. I read it a while back and it's a good read.

Thanks Derek, I'll pick it up when I'm finished reading some other stuff. I just found out yesterday what I'm going to be reading for my first year at uni, one of my modules is American Literature so it'll be Huckleberry Finn (I was hoping for As I Lay Dying but still) and in the final year I have the option to read James Joyce' Ulysses, which I was considering reading any way.

Joyce is quite hard going, his prose very layered. Totally worth while!

I done American lit. in my first year at Uni too. Was the most enjoyable module I took over the entire year of Lit. that I took.

Powers said:
Thanks Derek, I'll pick it up when I'm finished reading some other stuff. I just found out yesterday what I'm going to be reading for my first year at uni, one of my modules is American Literature so it'll be Huckleberry Finn (I was hoping for As I Lay Dying but still) and in the final year I have the option to read James Joyce' Ulysses, which I was considering reading any way.

Since you like American lit, I would suggest Saul Bellow, the Rabbit series and any short stories by Updike, early Philip Roth, Poe, the short stories of Hemingway (only--his novels are pretty horrible), Melville, and Hawthorne. American writing is best in short story form, and worst in novel form. Not a fan of Faulkner at all, and I think after reading As I Lay Dying, you may discover you will not care for him either.