What are your favorite speaker miking positions and mikes?

spycam

Ruination
Sep 12, 2006
www.ruination.lt
Where do you usually place your microphone or microphones when you mike the speakers?
Is it closer the the edge, closer to the center of the speaker, or in the middle between center and edge?
And what microphones do you like the best? How far from grill do u usually place them?

I myself think that the best position for me would be somewhere more in the middle between center and edge of a speaker, 2 mikes very close to each other, close to the cab grill, one mike positioned directly to the grill and another - at 45 degrees looking to the center of the speaker....

The mikes i use: Sennheiser md421-2 and Shure SM57

Right now I am really fond of a 57 and i5 on the same speaker. The 57 give it a nice throaty sound and the i5 picks up some nice frequencies the 57 lacks. Im using the Fredman technique usually on a v30 miced as close as possible to the center where it sounds best

I think we're using 57s..... but yea toward the outer rim of the speaker, you'll get a thicker sound.

Lately, I use a single SM57, straight on, pointing at the seam between the dust cap and speaker cone.

anyone tried a condenser microphone as an alternative for second mike? I have AKG C 300 B laying

I've used one on occasion as a room mic in addition to the SM57 on the grill, or even put the condenser mic in an adjacent room with reflective surfaces (tile floor, etc.) to get a natural reverb sound. It can add some cool depth for solos.

Lately(a couple of months ago) I've seen some people(Ermz for example) put the Mic more in the room. Like 7 inches away from the Cab.

I would be interested if the people rest in that technique?

mostly an SM57 for the brutal stuff

I often throw in a ribbon if I'm recording some low gain stuff. The ribbon adds warmth and the SM is pretty bright

Try an SDC like an oktava for cleans, sounds better then an sm57 imo

Lately(a couple of months ago) I've seen some people(Ermz for example) put the Mic more in the room. Like 7 inches away from the Cab.

I would be interested if the people rest in that technique?

I've tried pulling back the mic a couple of times, seems to make it sound a bit less harsh. Don't think I went back as far as 7 inches but it's certainly not something I would rule out in the future.

I've tried pulling back the mic a couple of times, seems to make it sound a bit less harsh. Don't think I went back as far as 7 inches but it's certainly not something I would rule out in the future.

Yeah, it brings def. another colour; I#ve tried it for, hmm, 2 hours, but the results doesn't satisfy me completely...

I think I'll give another try.
It's maybe a "cool in some situations" thing...

I recorded with 4 mics last weekend. Left bottom speaker sm57 off center and sennheiser e606 on center, right bottom speaker akg c214 off center and another sennheiser e606 on center.