What cab to get?

EffigyForgotten

New Metal Member
May 22, 2012
Minas Morgul
Sup guys, just got my VH-140c today and now I need a cab to play it :lol:

I mostly play brutal death metal stuff, so I want the cab to be tight and not boomy, pretty much the only thing I care about. I was thinking of getting a avatar since they have a metal grille option, with Eminence Legends, maybe Governors, but that's 600$... That's cheaper than practically any decent cab new, but any ideas of used cabs around 400 that don't suck?

Well, for what you described a Mesa OS should be perfect.

Oversized cabs should have more bass than regular ones though right? Leads to less tight tone, + V30 speakers aren't really what i'm looking for, I like speakers that have a more flat frequency response and higher power.

Maybe i'm wrong about the cab being bassy, as anyone had experience with mesa OS cabs with a VH-140c or solid states or similar amps?

Oversized cabs push their resonant frequencies toward less audible low frequencies, leading to a less thumpy, but equally huge low end. a Lot more control from what I can hear. That's all I can say using my Randall RH100 as long as I have.

My last cab was a Carvin 412, 100 watt speakers. Metal grill, pretty tight sounding imo. This was mid-90's though, and I believe now they use 75 watt Celestions in their cabs whereas mine had Carvins. But if you're looking for lower cost, Carvin is an option.

Look for a Randall XL cabinet. They're between a Marshall and Mesa cab in size and better construction than the Marshall (metal handles, plywood back not MDF, sometimes come with XLR DI outs, casters, metal grill).

The model is RS412 or RA412XLT. I think they had some XXL ones too but those are rare. Try to find one with G12H-100s (super similar to the K-100s, just 85hrz low freq instead of 80hrz).

Also look for old Peavey Butcher or VTM cabs, they sometimes come with G12K-85s which are now in production as the K-100.

Also Basson cabs have Eminence legends. Are you in the states? check GC's used site or musicgoround

Look for a Randall XL cabinet. They're between a Marshall and Mesa cab in size and better construction than the Marshall (metal handles, plywood back not MDF, sometimes come with XLR DI outs, casters, metal grill).

The model is RS412 or RA412XLT. I think they had some XXL ones too but those are rare. Try to find one with G12H-100s (super similar to the K-100s, just 85hrz low freq instead of 80hrz).

Also look for old Peavey Butcher or VTM cabs, they sometimes come with G12K-85s which are now in production as the K-100.

Also Basson cabs have Eminence legends. Are you in the states? check GC's used site or musicgoround

I'm kinda worried about getting a used cab online, the only cabs I've played through are mesa, marshall, and peavey 6505/XXX cabs, they all sounded good through the amps I played but people seem to think of cabs as a huge part of guitar tone, especially on forums.

Many bands I listen to use/used Vader cabs (they closed down) and seeing Suffocation live in 2011 they had the most crushing live tone, so heavy yet every note was clear and precise, they were using vader cabs through 6505+'s... So having said that, I'm looking for a cab with similar speakers to the custom legends in vader's, that basson would of been good if it weren't ugly which is also a big deal for me. Those peavey cabs are probably going to be in shit condition IF I even find them, it seems 99% of guitar cabs come with vintage 30 speakers :erk:

I'm in FL, A.K.A the "home of death metal"

I'm in FL, A.K.A the "home of death metal"

Aye I figured that, but wasn't exactly sure lol.

I wouldn't worry too much about ordering a cab online. Shipping via GC's used site is only about $12-20 for a cabinet. I bought a Peavey cab last November priced at $149 and with tax and shipping it came out to $175ish. Not bad for a good condition straight cab with casters and Celestion G12K-85s :)

Also their return policy for used gear is 30 days and you could always have them ship it to your local store first if you want to try it there...

The Basson is worth checking out. They are hefty, made with MDF but sealed inside to keep air tight; they use Eminence Legend V1258s or Red, white, and blues depending on the model. I also just picked a slant Basson 2 weeks ago for super cheap. Pretty beat up, but in working condition. Gonna try and crank her tomorrow for the first time with my Randall T2, which is very bass heavy. I'll try to report back / make a clip too...

Do you need a 412? You could get a new 2x12 with Eminence v12s or something from Avatar or Whitebox cabs. On another note the Krank 4x12s have Eminence V12s (Rev cabs) or Texas Heats (Krankenstein). ..:Spin:

Aye I figured that, but wasn't exactly sure lol.

I wouldn't worry too much about ordering a cab online. Shipping via GC's used site is only about $12-20 for a cabinet. I bought a Peavey cab last November priced at $149 and with tax and shipping it came out to $175ish. Not bad for a good condition straight cab with casters and Celestion G12K-85s :)

Also their return policy for used gear is 30 days and you could always have them ship it to your local store first if you want to try it there...

The Basson is worth checking out. They are hefty, made with MDF but sealed inside to keep air tight; they use Eminence Legend V1258s or Red, white, and blues depending on the model. I also just picked a slant Basson 2 weeks ago for super cheap. Pretty beat up, but in working condition. Gonna try and crank her tomorrow for the first time with my Randall T2, which is very bass heavy. I'll try to report back / make a clip too...

Do you need a 412? You could get a new 2x12 with Eminence v12s or something from Avatar or Whitebox cabs. On another note the Krank 4x12s have Eminence V12s (Rev cabs) or Texas Heats (Krankenstein). ..:Spin:

Not worried about the shipping cost but the condition a old used cab will be in...

Those Krank cabs look really cool, really love the red binding option, doubt ill find a used one with it though, right now i'm thinking basson or avatar. The basson is obviously cheaper but it looks so plain, your know? If I end up not being able to afford the Avatar the Basson seems like the best choice.

Does Avatar even have a Legend V12 option? Just looked on their site and they didn't list it as an option.

Btw I just read a hilarious review for the Krank Cab

Krank products in general are not good anymore, their products are the most terrible products ever.
They use a very cheap cable to wire thier cabinet. the wood is definitely not the real solid wood since i have found holes in the wood, they way they wrie the speaker cabinet is definitely a shame for a 1k cabinet moreover, I had to exchange the cabinet from musician's friends 4 times to get the right one with out having a problem.
People, think a little bit krank sell an empty cabinet with no speakers for 300 usd , so do the math,every speaker which are the legend V12 cost 48usd each plus shipping ok? so let's say 200 usd total from the speakers and 300 usd for the empty cabinet, Total: 500 usd this basicaly the fair price of that cabinet. THEY ARE SELLING IT FOR 1000USD plus shipping THIS IS CRAZY.....extremely over priced. I don't recommend their product anymore

Obviously complete bullshit but I definitely got a laugh out of that.

Lol, silly kids.

It's worth it to wait for the right cab. The cab is a big part of your sound as you know. Good luck with the search. Take advantage of GC's return policy if you live close to a Guitar Center, if need be. Also Craigslist takes time as well but you can get lucky... Got the Basson slant for $50 LOL