What can you make out of my raw drums?!

In a good or bad way?

Like I said it was very quick recording of guitars but I just wanted to get something for you guys.

Are the DI's ok, quality wise? (Minus the sloppy playing)

Can you give info on what you did for drums and ampsims as well as bass processing?

the DIs are ok i guess but the way you play the palm mutes sounds bad IMO. Do you play with the side of the pick? too scratchy
Drums are snare12a and kick10:erk:. Guitars Podfarm, bass (thats not a bass:lol:) podfarm clean amp and bass sub thingy to get some lows.

I do have a habit of playing sort of with the side of the pick. :(

I posted a thread over in Merch section about possibly needing someone to mix our album. It wouldn't be probably for a few months yet though.

And you just replaced 100% kick and snare? Auto quantize to grid? Anything done to OH's? I hear you've cleared up that shitty splice in there quite well. :lol:

My initial thoughts after loading the files in

The DI's are really noisy, and I agree about the picking...
SnareTop and Bottom out of phase...
Snare and Kick weren't phase aligned with the Overheads...
Toms rendered, but they weren't played...
"Bass" is pitch shifted guitar?

duuuuuuude....why didn't you get the basics down first?

why is it his job to flip the phase of the snare bottom mic and align the bassdrum to the overheads ? it says "raw drums", i dont understand

Yeha I knew snare top and bottom were out of phase but isn't that basically normal and common to have to flip phase on one snare mic?

And as many times as I've tried phase-aligning kick and snare with OHs, I can never hear a difference in the tracks. And yeah I totally left the "blank" tom tracks in there and wasn't really thinking.

Like I said - this little snippette is very rough and I only added quick guitars and "bass" to hear how some of you guys would process things.

I'm afraid because we're tracking everything ourselves and I'd be worried to send out tracks and pay $ and not quite get the results we're after if our tracks suck. =/

I'd say it's pretty common that it sounds better when to flip the phase on on snare mic, but not something you should do on default. Try on default yes, but not do it blindly.

If you phase align kick and snare with the overheads they get much more "direct" and get more meat. I only measured really rough, but shifting them back 136 samples or so did do quite a bit to the sound for me.

If I send out raws to mix, all this kind of stuff is done, cause for me it doesn't belong to the mixing part. I'll do it during tracking (checking snare and OH phase too)

And you just replaced 100% kick and snare? Auto quantize to grid? Anything done to OH's? I hear you've cleared up that shitty splice in there quite well. :lol:

what shitty splice? i just edited the drums, couldnt get the kick to trigger properly so i said fuck it and wrote the midi notes myself to the grid, same with the snare. OH is l2 and eq hp@800 and some highs added, lp@12k

what shitty splice? i just edited the drums, couldnt get the kick to trigger properly so i said fuck it and wrote the midi notes myself to the grid, same with the snare. OH is l2 and eq hp@800 and some highs added, lp@12k

I have problems sometimes getting his kick to trigger as well. His left foot always hits weaker than the right. I don't know if this is due to the fact that he only has one kick drum and a double pedal, maybe the slave arm is causing him to lose power.

What were your L2 settings? I use the free W1 and I've never really played with limiting OHs. As a group or separately? And HP at 800?! That seems a bit high but I guess it works. I was getting flamming issues when converting to MIDI and adding samples when HPing at around 500 because the kicks were still slightly present in the OH tracks.

@ marios - downloading now, thanks! And really sorry I don't have a proper bass DI at the moment.

ok... new attemp ... new approach this time.
No samples, only real drum tracks... gate, eq and compression as hell.. .. i think that you need to improved a the snare micing a lot.. kick its ok.
bass ezmix preset and liminting compression stuff..
guitars x50 in green channel ( i just love it) and second guitars thru a marshallish lebrit chain with a 1960a iR

hope you like it

Last edited by a moderator:
ok... new attemp ... new approach this time.
No samples, only real drum tracks... gate, eq and compression as hell.. .. i think that you need to improved a the snare micing a lot.. kick its ok.
bass ezmix preset and liminting compression stuff..
guitars x50 in green channel ( i just love it) and second guitars thru a marshallish lebrit chain with a 1960a iR

hope you like it

That mix is clipping/pumping like mad. It also sounds like you've low passed the hell out of it.
Anywho, here's mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well like I said before, one of my main problems is that it seems you've low passed the whole mix. There's no shimmer to the cymbals at all.