Testing my new MXR Bass DI+ (samples inside)

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
Hey guys, so I got my Bass DI+ today and naturally decided to record a DI and reamp the crap out of it to try out all the different tones this thing can give. I'll leave you with the samples to hear for yourselves first and I'll post my own opinions under the links.

Chain was: Strinberg Clb-25 bass (tuned ADGCF) straight into the instrument input of my Saffire Pro 40. Strings are Ernie Ball power slinky, about 2 months old. Sorry, I only buy strings when I get paid work to justify buying them. Then reamped out through a line output of the saffire straight into the Bass DI+ then back to input 1 on the saffire, through the DI output of the MXR. No reamp box, Jason Constantine style.

Here's the clean DI for comparison:

DI

And here are the different reamps, with pictures of the settings when I remembered to take them:

Clean sound (Effect button), which is pretty much just the Eq section
Clean%20%28Effect%29.jpg

Clean with Color button turned on (to my ears "color" seems to be fancy new name for a "contour" button.
Clean%20with%20Color%20button.jpg

Distorsion on (With very little gain, almost none)
Distorsion%20%28almost%20no%20gain%2C%20blend%20at%2050-50%29.jpg

Distorsion with more gain (50% gain, blend at 70% distortion,30% clean)

Fully distorted, 100% gain and Blend, just for fun.

And as an extra, I also bought a Korg Pitchblack tuner and wanted to check its true bypass abilites so it can be in front of the chain without sucking tone or introducing noise. First is without the tuner, second with. If you hear a difference, please let me know cause I don't.
Without Tuner > With tuner

Now, my thoughts: This thing kicks ass!

The clean section is almost like a transparent DI (it also has that function, with the effect button off it's pretty much a transparent DI box) but it's nice to have the Eq to bring out some clanky treble, it would definitely fit my needs for both my current bands, and adding just a tiny bit of distorsion blended sounds like it would definitely help it stand out in a band setup (I'll figure that out in rehearsal tomorrow) and give some awesome grind to the low end of a band's sound. I'm still not sure if I prefer the color button on or off though, it's a really different sound and both sound cool in their own way. The distorsion gets pretty much unusable when you start cranking it up to 50% and beyond, at least for my taste and need, but it is pretty fun to hear that apocalyptic full blast 100% gain sound, and I'm sure some doped to fuck stoner band could have a lot of fun with that type of sound.

Thoughts?

Update: Ermin's DI reamped through the MXR:

Clean DI provided by Ermz

Clean with color button

Distortion with low gain and low blend

Distortion with mid gain and blend

Full on, 100% distortion

It sounds great, i wonder how different it is in comparison to the sansamp bass DI everybody use.

I sent the DI to a user from here, cause he was curious about comparing with a BDDI and a PSA 1, I told him to post it here if he did it. I think the sansamps are more of a drive type of sound, this one is full on distorsion, it would depend greatly on taste and purpose but it'd still be interesting to see if they can be compared when trying to go for a similar sound.

The MXR is more of a 'full clean' or 'gnarly fuzzdeath' pedal. The Sansamp tends to do the more clanky, semi-grit tones well. We recently just got a Darkglass B7K, which I've yet to try. Gotta get the bass rig mic'ed up.

Yeah, pretty much what most "contour" controls do, scoop it, but it does it pretty damn well. I used it in rehearsal today in front of my amp and it ripped assholes apart, everything sounded better because of the bass tone.

Haha same thing happened the first time our bassist hooked his up. We all needed new underwear. I'm pretty sure it could cause a 5 year old to hit puberty.

Just for the sake of my own curiosity I reamped Ermz DI's through my Crate Blackheart Little Giant, a vintage Acoustic 2x15 bass cabinet and an AKG D112. I added my Rat 2 and TSE BOD (was too lazy to find a battery for my bass driver) and the "Distortion with mid gain and blend" to the equation. I'm fairly new to real physical bass reamping so this was fun and interesting.

I really like the brutal clankyness of the BOD...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2973685/BassDI reamp fun.rar

Sansamp-style grit tends to work best for clanky playing and basses. If it were a more gutteral, mid-heavy tone it'd be better for straight up distortion.

I agree. Your Spector DIs sound beyond awesome (beautiful compression by the way, that Origin can really make a bass track rock), but they weren't too fit for the sound the DI+ brings, too much clank which seemed to confuse the distortion sound IMO.