What CD should I buy next???

Stimuli

Crazy Bastard
Jun 16, 2005
Toronto
Well, I pride myself on knowing a lot about music. But my knowledge of more obscure metal does not really compare to anyone on this board. I am fiending to buy a new CD but I can't chose what to purchase (other than the new Satch album:headbang: ). The last couple "spur of the moment" purchases were a little disappointing so I don't want to blow 30 bucks on another mediocre CD... here is the stuff in stock that I am considering purchasing...

Anathema - A Natural Disaster
Amon Amarth - Versus the World
Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns
Amorphis -
Neurosis -
Green Carnation - The Quiet Offspring
Symphony X - The Odyssey
Naglfar - Pariah
Cathedral -
Devin Townsend Band - Accelerated Evolution
Dead Soul Tribe - The Dead Word
Moonspell - The Antidote

Can anyone who owns some of these CD's give a decent reccomendation... I mostly looking for a "best of both worlds" type CD mixing both beauty and brutality. But mainly I just want killer music with killer VOCALS. The last 3 cd's I bought were very good but the vocals were just terrible (Exodus, Cryptopsy, Alchemist)

I love "A Natural Disaster". Not exactly brutal, but wonderful. My fave Anathema album, just a wonderful listen from start to finish.

I don't really like certain parts of Neurosis' vocals (although some I like a lot), but "The Eye of Every Storm" is a very good album if you like that type of building/brooding/atmospheric stuff.

Heheh, unfortunatly the metal selection in my local retail stores is lacking... this can be considered a "high point" in their selection - apart from the usual shit you will see in the section. All other good CD's have already been purchased - unfortunatly, no Swallow the Sun :mad:

Yea, I dont mind if Anathema isnt necessarily "brutal"... I just can't stand bands with only 1 sound. there are some great CD's I've bought lately like Tristania and Draconian's "Arcan Rain Fell"... Great CD's. but every song is exactly the same - which is a let down for a musician and prog nut like myself...I need ups and downs... not just a long plateau of music (despite the fact that it might be a killer plateau:) )

Yea - I own Synchestra... a serious contender for album of the year already... the only reason I have not purchased Accelerated Evolution yet is because I have a habit of desiring something I've never heard before when purchasing CD's from expensive retail stores.

Out of your list, I would go with:

Amorphis - Elegy (I love all Amorphis albums, but this is my favorite. And Pasi's vocals are great as well.)
Moonspell - The Antidote (Very unique, dark atmosphere. A good mix of clean and growled vocals.)
Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm (Probably my favorite Neurosis album).

And Accelerated Evolution is great too.

I'll second your recommendation Sickman. Elegy by Amorphis is one of my fav's.

Can't go wrong with the Devin Townsend Band either.

I wouldn't consider either of these albums to have the killer vocals you're looking for. I like Ribeiro's vocals for Moonspell, but the similarity to Peter Steele is creepy.

Of the bands you named I'd get Amon Amarth's Vs. the World, it's headbangeriffic. Or perhaps like Cathedral if you like doom. Naglfar are completely mediocre. Get Bathory's Blood Fire Death, owns all that you mentioned.