Amon Amarth... album I should buy?

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
I was wondering what would be the best Amon Amarth cd I should buy? I listen to stuff like Suidakra, Kalmah, Ensiferum, etc... to give you an idea of my tastes.

Also, I heard Amon Amarth's lyrics were anti-christian... is this true? I know I'm prolly gonna get some flak for this, but I'm a christian, and I do care about the lyrics of the stuff I'm listening to. I don't care if they sing about Odin and stuff, but anything explicitly anti-christian I wanna avoid.

So, what's the best album, that doesn't have anti-christian stuff in it?

Hey ! welcome new Here ??

anyway...buy them all !! It is good to start with "Versus the World" or the first album "Once sent from the Golden Hall" uit depends if you like heavier stuff or faster stuff..

About the lyrics..it is impossibe not to use anti-christian lyrics if you sing abvout Vikingstuff. Like AA does. History pointed out that the viking culture were sort or less crushed by the christians during medieval times in Europe. So yes the lyrics are about Odin and all other Myth Viking things, but there also sometimes anti-christian because of the history between these cultures....
That the way it is...give them a try if you still like it..

well the first albums (once sent from the golden hall; the avenger, the crusher) have some quite violent anti christian lyrics, whereas the two last (versus the world, fate of norns) are much less into that stuff. If im not mistaking, i believe Fate of Norns has absolutely no anti christian lyrics in it, so if ur really that sensible about it buy this last album!... and furthermore, it really kicks ass!!! so get it!
and just so you know, i see you listed some folkish metal bands... well amon amarth isnt folk at all, its melodic death metal, its close to the Gothenburg scene... but better!

WNxScythe said:
I don't care if they sing about Odin and stuff, but anything explicitly anti-christian I wanna avoid.

I have the perfect track for you:

God, His Son, and Holy Whore.

Well, The Avenger has a song on it called "God His Son, And Holy Whore" which I think is about Christians trying to force their beliefs on Vikings, resulting in Vikings "turning the blade around and putting their opressors down."

The Crusher has a song called "The Sound of Eight Hooves" which I think is about a christian preacher who is on the run from some viking people, and when they catch him, they kill him. When he dies, the song ends saying: "He knows his god is false." So I guess the song is saying the Christian god is false.

So yeah, beware of those songs if you don't want to hear anything explicitly anti-christian. There are probably other songs alot like the two I mentioned, but those are the only two I can think of right now.

All of Amon Amarth's albums kick ass! Although I don't have "Once sent from golden hall" but I'm sure that one kicks ass too.

lol there are tons of anti christian AA songs, for example Ride for Vengeance, a viking revenging his lost son killed by christian "slewn by the men of the single God... Slaves of Hvitekrist TODAY YOU DIE!!!".. its an awsome song :p. The crusher has Bastards of a lying breed (the lying bastards are the christians). THe song Versus the world has "christian god cast aside - massacre of hallowed eve", in teh same album, A Thousand Years Of Oppression is about the oppression the christians brought to the Vikings, its merily a cry of anger agaisnt them, a cry of survival, not of vengeance... anyway there are many others, but, i repeat, Fate Of Norns doesn't have any of these types of lyrics so BUY THAT ALBUM!

Ok, well just to specify I don't care about anti...hmmm, how to put this... I don't care about some midieval lyrics against christians (note, christians, not christ) from back then... it's just anti-God stuff mainly that pisses me off.

Well thanks ALOT guys you've been really helpful.

I think I'll start with Fate of Norns then and kinda work backwards.

And btw, I really appreciate you guys not flaming me... when I posted a similar thread to this in the Bodom forum, I got flamed like you wouldn't believe.

Oh and yes I'm pretty new here. Only... let's see 6 months ago I was into all the nu-metal crap and typical bilge put out by MTV. I kinda converted lol in the space of about 2 weeks and my tastes changed completely (for the better!)... I found out about this place, and have started hanging out here for a few weeks... great location to find out about great music!

Yeah, Id say Amon Amarths lyrics are more against the religion then god himself, but im sure that they would probably say he sucks. My vote is to buy Once Sent From the Golden Hall, I think its their best, and Versus the World is a bit different from the other bands you mentioned.

Yeah, Once Sent, get that one.

Concerning full albums, 'Once Sent From The Golden Hall' is AA's best but in my opinion, their mini-cd 'Sorrow Throughout The Nine Worlds' is their best work, try it!

As for the lyrics, can't help you with that.

WNxScythe said:
Also, I heard Amon Amarth's lyrics were anti-christian... is this true? I know I'm prolly gonna get some flak for this, but I'm a christian, and I do care about the lyrics of the stuff I'm listening to. I don't care if they sing about Odin and stuff, but anything explicitly anti-christian I wanna avoid.

So, what's the best album, that doesn't have anti-christian stuff in it?

If you don't want to go to hell better stay away from metal in general. All of us here are going straight to hell, or so say the perverts priests.

May I suggest Hootie the Blowfish, lyrics are very soothing and non-offensive. They sing about love, one about some quaterback, a dog I think, great stuff.

Tomasz said:
If you don't want to go to hell better stay away from metal in general. All of us here are going straight to hell, or so say the perverts priests.

May I suggest Hootie the Blowfish, lyrics are very soothing and non-offensive. They sing about love, one about some quaterback, a dog I think, great stuff.
^^^
Well the no-flaming thing didnt seem to have lasted long.

I'm really having to restrain myself from responding to this really harshly... so here goes.

You prolly dont realize that all those who claim to be "christians" are not, chief among these the aforementioned perverts priests.

Plenty of "christians" are ignorant, legalistic people who completely miss the entire point of the gospel, which I'm sure you couldn't give a crap about, so I wont bother explaining in further detail. Anyways these same "christians" might have something against metal in general, believing that heavy music in general is at its root evil, which is a bunch of crap in my opinion (tho plenty of it obviously doesnt have "uplifting" lyrics).

You don't "avoid going to hell" by trying to be some good church boy who listens to "hootie the blowfish", you get avoid it (and get to heaven) by the freaking grace of God.

Now before this completely derails off the topic, I'm gonna stop and if you wanna flame me more just pm me.

Sorry for the off topic, back to the discussion... :headbang:

i think hell is gonna be fucking awsome. i bet chuck and dead and paul are all down there making some kinda bad ass death metal band. hang out with satan gettin drunk doin all kinds of crazy torture shit to the priest who been touchin little kids. ahh yeah its gonna be fun.

WNxScythe said:
^^^
I'm really having to restrain myself from responding to this really harshly... so here goes.

Plenty of "christians" are ignorant, legalistic people who completely miss the entire point of the gospel, which I'm sure you couldn't give a crap about, so I wont bother explaining in further detail. Anyways these same "christians" might have something against metal in general, believing that heavy music in general is at its root evil, which is a bunch of crap in my opinion (tho plenty of it obviously doesnt have "uplifting" lyrics).

You don't "avoid going to hell" by trying to be some good church boy who listens to "hootie the blowfish", you get avoid it (and get to heaven) by the freaking grace of God.

Now before this completely derails off the topic, I'm gonna stop and if you wanna flame me more just pm me.

Sorry for the off topic, back to the discussion... :headbang:

Why restrain yourself, that's what this forum is for. We all know non of us would talk so much shit to eachother face to face.

For fucks sake, God boys and the likes need to stay away from death metal, especially AA. Fuck off. Thats it.

To be honest, what kind of reply did you expect from people on this forum? If you find anti-christian lyrics offensive then you might want to skip some albums. It all depends if you really take the lyrics to the heart then yes you will get offended. You could just listen to the band for its music and not care for the lyrical content. At least I give you credit for being open minded, just remember that the whole death/black metal music don't really hold religion on a pedestal. That being said there are 100's of bands that play music with theme others than religon.

Why restrain yourself, that's what this forum is for. We all know non of us would talk so much shit to eachother face to face

i dunno about that... im always a smart ass =\. and i got this crack head friend... he thinks hes invincible... always mouthing off to everyone... and im begining to think he actualy is invincible...

i think he should check out mortification. lots of knee slappin god loving fun.

HAHAAH Mortification, Those old fucking Australian goonies....YES God the goonies was a great movie!
sloth.jpg

Tranquillian said:
You should try out Katatonia, especially the song Without God.
haha good one.

I would get all the AA albums. Start with Once Sent from the Golden Hall or Sorrow Throughout the Nine Worlds, then either The Avenger, The Crusher, or Versus the World.

They are all good but I personally say start with their earliest efforts in their catalog and work your way forward.

Ok well once again to those who were actually helpful thanks alot... I personally don't take lyrics to heart, and frankly don't really care about what they sing about (as long as it's just not retarded)... so really the issue is not whether "im offended" but whether it offends God. Obviously you think I'm stupid for even caring, but whatever.

Why am I restraining myself? Because whether this a net forum or not... I'm not gonna be hypocrite and start cussing you out cause then what kind of a message would that send?

Finally, I hate Mortification... just find it boring, plain and simple.

And to whoever said "what did you expect", I expected some level of maturity. I know that this forum is full of kids, but still... Regardless of whether you all hate christians or not, you could *at least* put up a front of being friendly, like the early posters did (kudos to basically everyone who posted before Tomasz).

Metalheads do not have to be total jerks who cuss out every christian or pop luving kid. Even if you think christianity is backwards and ignorant, and pop is worthless (I definitely agree with you on that point), you don't have to blatantly insult them. Please...show some maturity.

And to the guy who said hell will be fun, try to think for a moment what you're talking about there...