"What covers surpass the original?"

ahh, forgot mine, hehe.

Metallica - all of their Diamond Head covers, they fucking rule.
Fozzy - covering Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry, man they make that song rock!
White Zombie - most of you will proly disagree, but I think their cover of Sabbath's Children of the Grave is fucking unreal! Is a fav Sabbath song, and they just did it so well.

I will proly think of a few more later.

:)

Um...
I think the best covers are when the band takes an old rock song or something, and makes it metal, rather than just doing a tribute to a good metal song.

For instance Lizzy Borden's live cover of Born To Be Wild RULES :)

I like IE's cover of Transylvania. I dont think anyone can play maiden as good as maiden but thats the best best attempt I've ever heard...maybe coz there's no singing.

Speaking of Sabbath covers I think I like Cathedral doing Solitude better than the original and UKJ doing NIB is not bad either.

I don't think a cover better than the original exists, although I'll take it back if someone mentions one here.

Blitz is right about the Metallica covers though - they almost crack it. Also the covers Maiden use as B-sides aren't to shabby either.

Of course, the best covers are the non Metal covers, because metal bands transform pop-crap songs into masterpieces when they played in their particular styles.

Note: maybe not all are pop songs, I didn't like them anyway

• Nevermore - The Sound of Silence (Paul Simon)
  • In Flames - Everything Counts (Depeche Mode)
  • Vader - We Are League (Antinowhere League)
  • Iron Savior - It's a Sin (Pet Shop Boys)
  • Sodom - Hazy Shade of Winter (Paul Simon? Bangles?)

That's All that came to my mind right now :rolleyes:

Iron Maiden-Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
the whole Fantomas-directors cut cd
Devin Townsed-The Sinner
Dead Kennedys-Viva Las Vegas

thats what i reckon

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg

That DOES rock!! :headbang:

HELL yes! That RULES!!!!!!!!!

Blind Guardian - Dont Talk To Strangers. (Phloggy, download it and then come back and leave a new thread about how right Spawny was about this being better than the original :D )

Jag Panzer - Children Of The Sea (Phloggy, see above comment :D )

Angel Dust - Temple Of The King (Phloggy..... ahhh you get the idea!)

Yngwie Malmsteen - Gates Of Babylon (Phloggy, just go buy Holy Dio: A Tribute To Ronnie James Dio as these songs are all on it :D )

Those are both great covers, but I'm not sure if their better than the originals IMO :)

Yes they are :) Dios DTTS is too tinny sounding production wise! As is COTS :)

IMHO anyways :D Though replacing Dios voice is always a challenge :)

...tho Hansi does a great job on DTTS :)

Yep, Dios in a class of his own, but when I want to hear the songs I listed, I put the covers on and not the originals :D

Warrant - We Will Rock You

Best cover possible ever of that song...

*Didges punches from Queen fans* I prefer it to the original! We Will Rock You is an arena rock anthem right? Well the Warrant version rocks it up to the absolute max... and *dodges more punches* I like Jani's voice on that song better than Freddy's... its so much more ROCK!