What do you think about this guitar (Epiphone)

I owned the Les Paul version of the Prophecy line (the one with EMGs) and just sold that one recently.

The value for your money is insane with these things. I only sold it because I'm trying to stray away from 24.75" guitars.

They don't show the weaknesses that are sometimes connected to Epiphones, like lacklustre pickups and hardware, a cheap nut and questionable build quality.

They're not as responsive as guitars with the same specs that are thrice the money, but they're good guitars.

Thanks man.

I was supposed to put some EMG's in my Ibanez RGR321EX, but I'm seriously GASing over this one. The problem with these isn't that they're not worth the money it seems, but rather that you just can't seem to find many reviews on them, so I'd like to know if there's an obvious reason why one wouldn't want to buy this guitar rather than some other guitar from its pricerange.

Yeah, the 24.75" scale length is a big one - tolerable in standard tuning, but as you go down, my experience has been the strings become looser regardless of thickness, and intonation becomes more and more of an issue; not unworkable, but I'd rather have the Ibanez because of the 25.5" neck honestly, I played an ESP LTD EC-400 in C-standard for years, but when I got my Ibanez I realized I could never go back!

fuck, I knew there had to be something... I guess it would be wiser to stick to the Ibanez then? Because it just needs to get low :lol:

maybe I'm just GASing because I think that guitar looks sexy. Besides its looks, it doesn't offer you THAT much more than the Ibanez...

Thanks Marcus, you likely saved me lots of money and effort :)

Well, I know that Ibanez you have quite well because my drummer has the same one. If that Futura/Explorer sounds even remotely close to the LP I had, then it will beat the shit out of your Ibanez, tone-wise. That combination of mahagony, maple and ebony just sounds insanely good with the EMGs. You'd be having a much more solid low-end and a vastly smoother midrange... The Ibanez just sounds a lot thinner.

How low do you wanna go? I had my LP in B standard. It still worked well, but I had to choose strings that were just a bit too heavy for my taste...

Well, my primary (I play drums, but my guitar gets used for recording) and my soon-to-form secondary band (where I'm supposed to play guitar) play in C. Although we're thinking about going lower.

Yeah, it's a tough call, but I'd still rather sell the Ibanez and get an LTD H-401 personally (or Schecter if the thicker body/neck suits your fancy) over the Epiphone

You'll have to try the guitar you're about to buy if it's an Epiphone. I have two futuraEX's and one is divine, and the other has a binding issue. The nut is plastic, but other than that, it's a really good guitar. Soundwise it's by far the best 81/85 equipped guitar I've heard. Warm and full range. Really good. Nice thinner neck than the "normal" Gibson styled guitars and I play it in C with 12-52 strings. My goto guitar when I tune "normal" like that. :)

I highly recommend it if you want an EMG equipped guitar.

Thanks guys, the LTD is a bit more pricy, but I'll see if there are used ones around.

I think it's kind of weird that Epiphone makes a guitar like that, that at least in my eyes looks a lot like a metal guitar. But then the scale isn't good for lower tunings.

You'll have to try the guitar you're about to buy if it's an Epiphone. I have two futuraEX's and one is divine, and the other has a binding issue. The nut is plastic, but other than that, it's a really good guitar. Soundwise it's by far the best 81/85 equipped guitar I've heard. Warm and full range. Really good. Nice thinner neck than the "normal" Gibson styled guitars and I play it in C with 12-52 strings. My goto guitar when I tune "normal" like that. :)

I highly recommend it if you want an EMG equipped guitar.

12 isn't very thick... Would you think it'd go lower if it had thicker gauge strings on it?

While it might be safer to buy an LTD and whatnot... The GAS doesn't wear off that easily :lol: I'm still interested in this guitar, but I bet there's no sight of it in any of the music stores around here.

I should go play some H-401's and see which stores sell Epiphone...

24.75" in C shouldnt be too much trouble.
You might have to adjust the neck to a bigger relief then what you like playing with though.. its all a matter of taste.

I happen to like 24.75" with a deeper relief.. while i adjust 25.5" almost dead straight.

I'm actually considering the FX model with original floyd rose tremolo... It's fucking awesome value, at Thomann it only costs like 30 euro more. While I know it can't hold tune as well as if there was no tremolo at all, and it's a whole lot more learning and work, would you think it's a better deal? It's like 515 euro at thomann. At the moment though, I don't think I'm going to need tremolo much :lol: besides, it doesn't look as nice as the red one.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/epiphone-prophecy-futura-fx-midnight-ebony--57702

Wait, wait... a well set-up quality Floyd will hold the tune quite exceptional, often much better than hard tails.

You'll loose some sustain/tone though with a Floyd and some people have intonation problems because they apply to much pressure to the floating bridge with their hands.

Thanks guys, the LTD is a bit more pricy, but I'll see if there are used ones around.

I think it's kind of weird that Epiphone makes a guitar like that, that at least in my eyes looks a lot like a metal guitar. But then the scale isn't good for lower tunings.

It's tradition dude, plain and simple - the same reason Fender continues to make straight headstocks with string trees, rather than angling their headstocks like every other manufacturer :rolleyes: And I'd pass on the Floyd, yes a well set-up one will hold a tuning, but they're just such a goddamn hassle IME...

Hmm that makes me think...

Knowing me, I guess the easiest possible solution would work the best :lol: I think I'm going to visit some music stores to try to feel the difference between a floyd and a hard tail. I think if and when I'll purchase the guitar, I'll give it to a professional to set up. Then learn how the hell it works. :D

Well from the pic it looks lush and the EMG's are a bonus but these are not the sort of guitars I would buy from the Internet with out trying an identical model in a shop first . You need to get it on a strap it doesnt matter how cool the spec is or how nice it looks if it turns out to be neck heavy (as is often the case with reproduction copies of 'V's & explorer's) then it can be a bit of an anti climax .
It looks superb tho .

Well from the pic it looks lush and the EMG's are a bonus but these are not the sort of guitars I would buy from the Internet with out trying an identical model in a shop first . You need to get it on a strap it doesnt matter how cool the spec is or how nice it looks if it turns out to be neck heavy (as is often the case with reproduction copies of 'V's & explorer's) then it can be a bit of an anti climax .
It looks superb tho .

I know what you mean, I'd definitely want to test drive one of these if I can find one. Although I've read some reviews and if the neck was heavy I think it would be the first things someone would mention about it. Trying a model, whether I can find a Futura or not, is what I'll do next. :)

By the way about the nut, it seems Guitar Center says it's a graphite nut, not plastic.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-FUTURA-Prophesy-EX-Electric-Guitar-775272-i1386618.gc