What do you think about this guitar (Epiphone)

Hmm, Ibanez RGRs are not all that amazing guitars, I'd definitely take the Epi over that.
Ibanez Prestige or just any of the older MIJ Ibanez RGs, different story, quality guitars that will easily kill the Epi.

Hmm, Ibanez RGRs are not all that amazing guitars, I'd definitely take the Epi over that.
Ibanez Prestige or just any of the older MIJ Ibanez RGs, different story, quality guitars that will easily kill the Epi.

Yeah, but I'm mostly looking for a guitar that is kind of in a whole new level BUT doesn't break the bank for me... Plus I imagine I could justify buying this to myself, since I'm far from being amazing as a guitarist, but I want a good sounding guitar that also other people can use if something needs recorded and their awesome metal axes fail them.

Also, I'm currently forming a band with me as a rhythm guitarist (can't shred for shit, but I think I can come up with some decent riffs) and I want to get better at it. Some might think I should stick to the Ibanez for a bit longer, but I want a better sounding guitar.

Which features kill the Epi in your opinion, compared to the Prestiges and MIJs?

Be sure to try it out first. I had the sg ex prophecy and the first one I got had some bubbles in the clear coating so I sent it back. The next one I got had some problems with frets not being levelled correctly which resulted in the low E-string buzzing like hell. (The guitar was setup correctly btw) I have tried other epiphones and those were ok, but as I said the quality control in china doesnt seems to be the best and you could end up with a bad one.

Wow, that sucks.

Yeah, it might be a problem if I end up ordering one from Thomann, which I will unless I find one around here... Never seen one around these parts.

Not sure about Jacksons... never liked the ones I tried.

Also, that Schecter has a basswood body like the Ibanez I have, I think I'd like to try something else.

Used guitars is one option, but I think I might love that guitar, if I won't get a faulty one... what would life be without a little excitement? :lol:

I didn't read the whole thread but I'm just going to come out and say that I have my 24.75s set up in standard C with the elixir 12-68 set and its plenty tight. I consider it the perfect set of strings for that tuning. needless to say, the 12-68s on my 25.5s are REALLY fucking tight! :heh:

Yeah, but I'm mostly looking for a guitar that is kind of in a whole new level BUT doesn't break the bank for me... Plus I imagine I could justify buying this to myself, since I'm far from being amazing as a guitarist, but I want a good sounding guitar that also other people can use if something needs recorded and their awesome metal axes fail them.

Also, I'm currently forming a band with me as a rhythm guitarist (can't shred for shit, but I think I can come up with some decent riffs) and I want to get better at it. Some might think I should stick to the Ibanez for a bit longer, but I want a better sounding guitar.

Which features kill the Epi in your opinion, compared to the Prestiges and MIJs?

Just the general feel and build quality of MIJ and Prestige RGs really.
That being said, I do feel the Epi Prophecy series are a cut above any Epiphone I've played.

I have an Ibanez SZ which is Korean and is pretty cool. I recommend one if you have a chance to snag one up, they were quite cheap. I think they're discontinued, but some places still have them and they're relatively easy to find used.

I honestly don't like the Futura. The Prophecy LP is cool, but the Futura looks like a half-molten explorer to me.

Just the general feel and build quality of MIJ and Prestige RGs really.
That being said, I do feel the Epi Prophecy series are a cut above any Epiphone I've played.

Have you tried the Futura EX or FX? I've gotten the impression they'd be better build quality than the other models in the Prophecy range.

Morgray: sounds good. I was already considering a 14- set, but I guess it's way too thick! I've just used standard 11-sets before. 12 it would be then...

I honestly don't like the Futura. The Prophecy LP is cool, but the Futura looks like a half-molten explorer to me.

have you tried the Futura? I'm just trying to get a general feel of how much they sell these things around, like is it a rare find from shops etc.

Schehf on youtube uses an LP which is an Epi prophecy and plays with insanely big strings. He gets a good tone and plays great with 'em though.

I'm just checking Youtube... Looks like there's a lot of videos about this guitar.

Since it's December, here's Santa playing a solo with an Epiphone Prophecy Futura FX using a terrible tone. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
have you tried the Futura? I'm just trying to get a general feel of how much they sell these things around, like is it a rare find from shops etc.
Just the LP and briefly. The LP's alright, it's not bad. It's not extraordinary either, IMO. It's nothing you can't get from an LTD or other similarly or even lower priced guitar.

Schehf on youtube uses an LP which is an Epi prophecy and plays with insanely big strings. He gets a good tone and plays great with 'em though.
Is that the dude that plays the In Flames covers with a Randall amp or am I confusing him with somebody else?

Dont get me wrong, the two sg:s I had could be manufactured exactly the same time, when the factory quality controller obviously had a break or something. It doesnt mean that all of them are like the ones I had. The feel of the guitars are superb and the sound is great. I really liked the satin feel of the neck and the finish (except for the tragic bubble-accident) is cool. I really think you should wait for one to pop up second hand so you can try it. Although, If you buy one from Thomann you must have some kind of return policy, right? If something is wrong with it I mean. You could just send it back and get a new one?

Dont get me wrong, the two sg:s I had could be manufactured exactly the same time, when the factory quality controller obviously had a break or something. It doesnt mean that all of them are like the ones I had. The feel of the guitars are superb and the sound is great. I really liked the satin feel of the neck and the finish (except for the tragic bubble-accident) is cool. I really think you should wait for one to pop up second hand so you can try it. Although, If you buy one from Thomann you must have some kind of return policy, right? If something is wrong with it I mean. You could just send it back and get a new one?

Yeah, I could send the faulty ones back as much as they keep coming :)lol:) but it's of course, time and mind consuming. Wouldn't think there would be too many faulty ones though, as the guitar lists in about 1000 dollars.

It seems one of the strap knobs is often attached in a shitty way and comes off in many Futuras. But I think I'll change it anyway, and put some straplocks in, if I'll end up getting a Futura.

I kinda wonder how the ephiphone prophecy lp with emgs fairs vs the esp ltd ec1000? I mean I know the lp has a thinner body so may not be as "warm" sounding as the epi but anyone who's experienced both, some comments?

Speaking of EMG 81/85 equiped guitars on DV247 there is also the Washburn X50 Profe selling for 409£.

Does anyone know how good these are? I know nothing of guitars, but i would like to buy one to have in the studio and maybe start learning, the only drawback i see is that it doesnt have the fret inlays :zombie: