What does it mean to be Metal? (Re)(de)constructing a definition of Metalness. \m/

apoc_metal

Metalhead Extraordinaire
Apr 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA
writenothing.com
What does it mean to be Metal? How has the word evolved to become something bigger than just music?
Follow, and add to the discussion here.

I've removed the main body of the question from here because I seem to spend more time defending the fact that I'm writing or asking about this at all, rather than talking about what I'm really interested in, namely METAL.

So if you don't want to be productive, don't answer! Really, it's not so hard... I'm not trying to generalize on your experiences or anyone elses. Just my own, using input from some fellow metalheads. So stop trolling!!!

What it means to be metal will mean different things to different people, and I think that's the way it should be. There's tens of metal genres out there, so if nothing else there will be tens of different definitions of how to be metal. I'm not even talking musically here, I mean that someone who consider the epitome' of metal to be viking and power metal will have a different idea of what it is to "be metal" than someone who considers the epitome' of metal to be death or thrash metal.

For ME personally the only circumstance where I might say "that was totally metal" or something like that and not be referencing music, I think it would be synonymous with "that was totally brutal."

Yeah, I guess I agree, there's lots of differentiation and such... but I still think we can find a common denominator. Like take me for instance. My favorite genres of metal are: Death Metal, (some) Black Metal, Power Metal, Progressive Metal... viking... folk...

So I tell people, "I like metal".

And I'd say there definitely seems to be some kind of unifying force, culturally as well as musically, that helps define the "metal community". I guess I'm searching for what that is, and if it's more than just a bunch of machismo and guitar worship.

That's a good question. I'm not sure there is an answer though. I can't really help because I don't like all genres of metal. Well, I like them all to an extent, I enjoy them all. But I certainly don't identify with all of them.

That's a good question. I'm not sure there is an answer though. I can't really help because I don't like all genres of metal. Well, I like them all to an extent, I enjoy them all. But I certainly don't identify with all of them.

So what does it mean to be "Brutal"? As in violent? Was Hitler "metal"? Or can one be "brutally" good? Like (an extreme case) Gandhi? Or whatever? That's what I'm getting at with the second bit; it applies mostly to the extreme, dark and twisted genres (death, black, grind whatever)

So what does it mean to be "Brutal"? As in violent? Was Hitler "metal"? Or can one be "brutally" good? Like (an extreme case) Gandhi? Or whatever? That's what I'm getting at with the second bit; it applies mostly to the extreme, dark and twisted genres (death, black, grind whatever)

Brutal to me means extreme or intense, and to me that can be any number of things. It's totally a judgment and perspective call. People who live extreme lives like ascetics and such are brutal. GG Allin was a brutal person. Varg Virkenes, totally brutal. Somebody who sits and watches TV static for hours is brutal to me. Was Hitler metal? Yeah. Was Ghandi metal? I don't think so, but he is if you consider him to be extreme. You can definetly be extreme in a "good" way, like giving all your $40,000 life savings to charity would be brutal in my eyes.

Brutal to me means extreme or intense, and to me that can be any number of things. It's totally a judgment and perspective call. People who live extreme lives like ascetics and such are brutal. GG Allin was a brutal person. Varg Virkenes, totally brutal. Somebody who sits and watches TV static for hours is brutal to me. Was Hitler metal? Yeah. Was Ghandi metal? I don't think so, but he is if you consider him to be extreme. You can definetly be extreme in a "good" way, like giving all your $40,000 life savings to charity would be brutal in my eyes.
Cool. Thanks man.

People of all religions and philosophies listen to metal, obviously. It doesn't matter if you're Buddhist.

It means you appreciate better music than most of the fools out there.

Also you would most likely hate that faggot rap bullshit.

I think to be a "metal head" is a very versatile term. I'm a very un-sterotypical metal head myself. It can technically mean all sorts of things, but it's clear definition will always be rooted in your musical taste. Metal sure as shit isn't all I enjoy listening to though. I like a lot of shit that some metal heads would think it was sacreligious to listen to, however I'm still more of a metal head at the core. I think Metal is the one genre I can always come back to & enjoy.

TC, I just read your blog regarding metal and racism and I just want to say that it was a good read, with several solid retorts to the idea that racism and bigotry is somehow intrinsic to metal culture.

In terms of ontologically attempting to define the essence of metal, I think that question will lead, ultimately, nowhere. For instance--and this is somewhat irrelevant in terms of content, but the basic idea is the same--I am a Film Studies student and have examined some of the early theorists in the field such as Munsterberg, Arnheim, Bazin, and Eisenstein, who have all tried to answer the ontological question of "What is cinema?". Unfortunately, however, all have failed to find it, outside of prescribing their own personal preferences for the art of cinema (art is, for them, synonymous with the essence of the medium). The same thing applies to your line of questioning here, I think, but is even more tenuous, IMO. This is because Film is an entire medium, not just simply a genre; metal is only a small, relatively esoteric genre of pop music. And if theorists have tried and failed to define the essential means of an entire medium, I think attempting to do something similar but with regard only to a specific genre is even more misguided and will yield only unsatisfactory results (such as the circular logic of "To like metal, is to be metal" ad infinitum).

Thus, in this age of cultural fragmentation, attempting to find the underlying or guiding principle of a specific genre of music will only result in over-generalizations and construed archetypes/misnomers about the culture surrounding it.

That being said, good luck anyways :).

apoc_metal, you seem overly concerned with trying to justify metal to the outside world or to your own moralistic tendencies.

What it means to be metal will mean different things to different people, and I think that's the way it should be. There's tens of metal genres out there, so if nothing else there will be tens of different definitions of how to be metal. I'm not even talking musically here, I mean that someone who consider the epitome' of metal to be viking and power metal will have a different idea of what it is to "be metal" than someone who considers the epitome' of metal to be death or thrash metal.

For ME personally the only circumstance where I might say "that was totally metal" or something like that and not be referencing music, I think it would be synonymous with "that was totally brutal."
P.s. I took it for granted at the time, but THANK YOU for answering the question. And not being a douchebag! Yay! :headbang::worship:

--

apoc_metal, you seem overly concerned with trying to justify metal to the outside world or to your own moralistic tendencies.
Great. So what if I am? If you think that's not a worthy endeavour, then move on...

Personally I find it a pretty interesting question worth exploring. So yeah.

--

TC, I just read your blog regarding metal and racism and I just want to say that it was a good read, with several solid retorts to the idea that racism and bigotry is somehow intrinsic to metal culture.

In terms of ontologically attempting to define the essence of metal, I think that question will lead, ultimately, nowhere. For instance--and this is somewhat irrelevant in terms of content, but the basic idea is the same--I am a Film Studies student and have examined some of the early theorists in the field such as Munsterberg, Arnheim, Bazin, and Eisenstein, who have all tried to answer the ontological question of "What is cinema?". Unfortunately, however, all have failed to find it, outside of prescribing their own personal preferences for the art of cinema (art is, for them, synonymous with the essence of the medium). The same thing applies to your line of questioning here, I think, but is even more tenuous, IMO. This is because Film is an entire medium, not just simply a genre; metal is only a small, relatively esoteric genre of pop music. And if theorists have tried and failed to define the essential means of an entire medium, I think attempting to do something similar but with regard only to a specific genre is even more misguided and will yield only unsatisfactory results (such as the circular logic of "To like metal, is to be metal" ad infinitum).

Thus, in this age of cultural fragmentation, attempting to find the underlying or guiding principle of a specific genre of music will only result in over-generalizations and construed archetypes/misnomers about the culture surrounding it.

That being said, good luck anyways :).

Yay! This is the kind of answer I've been waiting for! Thanks man!
Yeah, my field is Geography... so I haven't spent much time academically studying any of this stuff. I haven't even taken any sociology, haha. I think you're probably right. That being said, I'm not really out to prove, academically, what metal is. Rather, I'm trying to use the question "what is metal" to explore my own personal experience of the music as a force in my life, and in the world. Since I'm sorta buddhist, which is an inherently "peaceful" philosophy that sees little value in anger or related states of mind, I've come to wonder if my time in the world of metal is limited to my time in the "unenlightened world" (ie. were I a buddha, a being of infinite compassion, I would have no need for metal? But then again I'd probably listen to it anyways just to fuck with people's heads. And because it's awesome.)

And thanks for restoring my faith the the internets as a means of discourse. I gotta stop letting the trolls get me down :-D :lol::headbang:
p.s. thanks re: the racism article. I was supposed to be trying to write a little personal narrative thingy about metal, but got a bit sidetracked, lol.
p.p.s I think you may be wrong tho... Metal is apparently different than cinema, because we've just found our definition:
i think it means you got a lot of cargo shorts and you wear 'em a lot to show of your tats (ladies love keeper of the seven keys...on mah leg )
:-D