What does overrated mean to you?

nataservant

Lord of Mediocraty
Jul 8, 2003
Florida
Visit site
I think the word overrated is overrated.
What do people mean when they say it?
I feel it is used by people who feel that a band or whatever is liked by many people except for them. Just because you don't enjoy the music does not mean a band is exactly overrated it just means you don't agree with them. I think the word overrated should be erased from our heads because it may mean one thing to someone but it will not mean the same to another. So I feel people should think before using that term or explain to me why they feel they need to use the word because I think it is only used when people are angry that others like a band that they don't like.
So I ask....
What does overrated exactly mean to you?

Overrated:
Anything that is okay or horrible and is praised like it's the next best thing since sliced bread.

But if someone feels that way about it, isn't that only THIER opinion? I love Opeth and to me they are not okay or horrible I feel the band are in the genius field. So if some one person thinks they are horrible does that actually make them overrated? Maybe to that person, but I bet many people would disagree with that.

Something that is constantly praised by individuals without said individuals offering the slightest hint of criticism.

Nothing is above criticism. Nothing.

Overrated- Opeth, Reality TV, the phrase "in my own opinion"

I saw this in some other BB
"However, there is no such thing as 'overated'. If 100000 people like a band, then the band are good enough for 100000 people to like them. People don't claim to like a band when they don't, surely."
I think that sounds pretty good

Dreamlord's description seems to fit pretty well. It's a good specific definition to a word that is so vaguely and widely used that it is almost a meaningless cliche. It's difficult to fit the word to anything other than the opinion/consideration of the individual. I suppose the more who offer no criticism...the more overrated the band are... that could work. Yeah. That fits.

SculptedCold said:
Dreamlord's description seems to fit pretty well. It's a good specific definition to a word that is so vaguely and widely used that it is almost a meaningless cliche. It's difficult to fit the word to anything other than the opinion/consideration of the individual. I suppose the more who offer no criticism...the more overrated the band are... that could work. Yeah. That fits.

So you are saying the the people that just talk shit or praise without giving a thoughful/logical criticism makes a band more overrated?

There's no such thing as something being 'overated'. Things can appeal to a non-intelligent audience, but nothing can be overated.

The song (or whatever) in question is liked by a certain number of people. If a million people like a song, then it appeals to that million people - they like it.

If someone is pretending to like a band when they don't, they don't actually rate the band highly, they're just pretending to.

I could have explained that a lot better, but still...

nataservant said:
So you are saying the the people that just talk shit or praise without giving a thoughful/logical criticism makes a band more overrated?

Well, duh, that pretty much makes sense. Who rates a band? The listeners. There's no almighty being or force that assigns an all-time exact rating on how good a band is. I think that you either read and use the word overrated, in which case you have to believe in the value of objectivism (and possibly elitism), or you should shun the word completely, because when you're dealing with the concept of something being overrated, you're comparing the value of the band's music as seen through the ears of other listeners, and your own. So if you have the stance that 'it's all just opinion' and the subjective truth is the only truth, then you can't deal with the term 'overrated' because it assumes some sort of valuable objectivity that one person sees (the critic) and the the other doesn't (the fanatical fanboy). If you use and believe in the term, then you have to believe that there is more to music and it's appreciation than just the subjective interpretation. I'm of the latter; I believe in objective quality, but not to the extent that i'd be considered an 'elitist' of any obnoxiously recieved standing...in which case, yes, the above quote makes perfect sense to me.

To me, an overrated band is a band on which the general consensus is that they are extremely talented and skilled, yet someone who knows a lot about guitar and musical theory (like me) would be able to tell that they are really not as incredible as they are made out to be. And I like some bands that are overrated, like Darkthrone, Slayer, Hatebreed, Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower, etc.. IMO "overrated" isn't simply a term people use for bands that they don't like but many other people do.

I just think the word overrated is stupid and should be annihilated, I just made this BB to see what everyone's opinion is on the term and it's use. I for one judge bands by how they make me feel when I listen to them and a small part by thier sense of musicianship.

Well, the word probably would not be used as often as it is if listeners would judge the music based on the music, not the band that releases it.

The definition of overrated: The Beatles

Everyone claims they created rock today, they are the most important band in history, blah blah blah. Yeah fuckin' right.

Basically, something is overrated if everyone and their grandma says it's the shit. Everyone has a different taste, and almost everyone I know absolutely hates the Beatles, yet the media CONSTANTLY bestows enormous quantities of praise on them to this day. That's overrated.