What does it mean to be Metal? (Re)(de)constructing a definition of Metalness. \m/

Works for me.

So, since you love metal so much, are you metal?

I don't think you have to "be" metal in order to enjoy it. I'm a musician & all I play is metal. It's all I really care to play, yet when it comes down to what I want to hear I cannot be bothered to listen to nothing but metal. That's just close minded. The people here whom I think have the most respectful opinions also have a more broad spectrum of taste than strictly metal.

I think to be a "metal head" is a very versatile term. I'm a very un-sterotypical metal head myself. It can technically mean all sorts of things, but it's clear definition will always be rooted in your musical taste. Metal sure as shit isn't all I enjoy listening to though. I like a lot of shit that some metal heads would think it was sacreligious to listen to, however I'm still more of a metal head at the core. I think Metal is the one genre I can always come back to & enjoy.

I agree completely. I love lots of music, but it all is subordinate to metal. And only serve to satisfy me during my moments of metal-fatigue :-\

I think Southerntrendkill said it pretty well. But i guess id say that for anything to be called "metal" its gotta get you pumped, it needs to make you want to punch someones face in. It needs to require a more than mediate level of skill, it needs the same technicality. For example a band like system of a down could be the "downfall of metal". Because those fucks are terrible musicians but the shit can be catchy... They're making money and gaining fans off of a fluke, a loophole if you will. I would not call that metal by any means.

I think Southerntrendkill said it pretty well. But i guess id say that for anything to be called "metal" its gotta get you pumped, it needs to make you want to punch someones face in. It needs to require a more than mediate level of skill, it needs the same technicality. For example a band like system of a down could be the "downfall of metal". Because those fucks are terrible musicians but the shit can be catchy... They're making money and gaining fans off of a fluke, a loophole if you will. I would not call that metal by any means.

Would you then disregard the entire sub-genre of Stoner Metal then? I don't find stoner metal terribly aggressive, or requiring much technical skill to play, yet it's arguably the heaviest sub-genre of metal (arguably because there's no solid definition for the word heavy, but if you ask people what the heaviest band is, many will say Electric Wizard in addition to many death metal bands and some other stoner bands).

Metal to me means masculinity and total savage domination. Like when I'll be listening to a great thrash band and they break into a really thrash riff of which is comparable to being shot out of a cannon going 1000mph while on fire headbanging the whole time (ie newer Testament), I feel like I can conquer all obstacles. Or like if you're listening to a Death band and they break into a rapid fire machine gun grind (ie Behemoth) and I feel impenetrable.

That's metal to me. A simpler answer; metal = strength.

Being metal is awesome!...until jerks start throwing magnets at me, sometimes they're hard to pull off, and I tend to not get around a lot of water...er, ya' know..

I don't hate rap, I just hate bad rap. I believe there is decent music of all genres out there, you just have to look for it.

being metal is all about not giving a fuck about what anyone thinks, and rockin out :kickass:

To be metal, is simply to understand why people listen to music like this and to enjoy it yourself. I mean it more than just listening to heavy music because it's cool or rebellious, you must do i because it means something to you.

Deep. Very deep. Like your mother's big, gaping vagina.