What does Katatonia's "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" sound like?

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
I remember hearing a Katatonia song a few years ago... and finding it to be rather boring...

However... I have heard a few people praise this album... what does it sound like? Is this band's current music anything like modern Anathema?

i've said it before and i'll say it again,

1st listnen: hmm, alright

5th listen: oh my god, this is the best album of the year if not ever!!! i cant believe i didnt love this from the first listen.

its just great, as in2thenight said, you need to hear it to believe it.

Originally posted by Thorns of Sorrow
yeh its a bit more rockin than anthema, less depressing, but alot more dark and haunting. It just a great modern rock album Id say.

less depressing?????????????????? are you insane????????? the lyrics, the atmosphere. even "future of speech" owns any anathema...depression-wise! well, not any anathema, but current katatonia is more bleak, more depressive than anathema right now.

Originally posted by Don Corleone

less depressing?????????????????? are you insane????????? the lyrics, the atmosphere. even "future of speech" owns any anathema...depression-wise! well, not any anathema, but current katatonia is more bleak, more depressive than anathema right now.

your right, just take ''Day'', or any of DO and Anathema are a happy dancing band of Jehovas Witness'. and thats not even mentioning For My Demons and The Future Of Speech, to pick just a few, because they all are depressing, yes full of depressing goodness. :cool:

Originally posted by _Transparent_
i've said it before and i'll say it again,

1st listnen: hmm, alright

5th listen: oh my god, this is the best album of the year if not ever!!! i cant believe i didnt love this from the first listen.
Yes, I can't agree more.....

The above post has depicted my experience as if I'd written it myself.

'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' is the greatest Katatonia album.

And I wouldn't say it 'owns' Anathema, Don! The latest Anathema is only just behind it- yet it's still behind.

The beauty of LFDGD is the way it grows on you.

Definitely album of the year after enough spins.

Well... a friend of mine just let me borrow "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" and I must say I am very impressed... a very beautiful album!

I liked the album but I was immediately hooked on 'I Transpire'. Not only it has a weird name for a song, but also the harmonic progression is not your usual gothic, death, doom or whatever metal. It's like travelling, you can feel yourself move probably due to the slow moaning of the guitar and the drums that make it almost like it isn't in 4/4. And the lyrics, they are just so urban, not falling in the same old clichés, very inspiring.
This is not your usual doom depression. It's like traveling into your soul.
Oh God, how I miss the darkness of a brand new Katatonia album.

LFDGD sounds good. But the hi-hat is mixed a bit too loud. :lol:
No, serious, it's a really swinging album. And the new drummer has a good groove in his playing, that's why it kicks more ass that the previous ones I guess. But I like every album since DO really much. One of the few bands I don't need to check out a new album, I can buy it without, and it won't dissapoint me.

Originally posted by Unicorn
LFDGD sounds good. But the hi-hat is mixed a bit too loud. :lol:

really? the hi-hat could be a bit louder, because in some songs i don´t know what he is playing. i like his technic. fascinating...

Originally posted by Unicorn
And the new drummer has a good groove in his playing, that's why it kicks more ass that the previous ones I guess.
Yeah, that's something worth mentioning, the drummer has one heavy groove indeed, his beats pound, just when he comes in on "Dispossession", fuckin' phat! So are all his 1/2 beats, so simple but they really pound. I like the hi-hat too, it increases the phatness... :headbang:

That was actually one of the first things I noticed when I first heard the album, the drumsound is fuckin' heavy, great! Love that snare.