What drum heads for studio recordins ?

Catalin

Oct 19, 2008
www.myspace.com
Help me up. I'm want to record drums for the new album of my band. I want to know what type of drum heads shall I use, I have to mantion that I will use both mics and triggers. I prefer the Emad from Evans for bassdrum, but is difficult to palce the trigger on it, evans ST dry for snare and remo powerstroke 4 for the rest. Do you think this is a good choice? Or maybe you can tell me which oine is the best.
What do you think about Evans power center for snare ?
Tnks alot !

Evans EC2 work great on toms. Andy's preference of Powerstroke 3 for kick, snare and Emperor/Ambassador on toms is great also. I've heard a large preference for Aquarians lately amongst players, but I don't know which models in particular cut it for tracking.

NO NEVER EVER NEVER use auquarian II heads....dullest, deadest sound I ever had to deal with on recordings.
I'd rather work with old emperors with dents and even holes in it before I'll use an aquarianII

I like using a Powercentre on my snare, g2s on the toms with g1s for the resonant heads. I never had a problem triggering my kick with Emad skins on it.
And if you can get something like the DrumDial drum tuner, you can get your drums sounding great with very little effort!

Not so well. With some moments, when playing fast, ahere the trigger actually is missing. I had to change it with a powerstroke, although the accoustic sounf of the emad is better.

Not so well. With some moments, when playing fast, ahere the trigger actually is missing. I had to change it with a powerstroke, although the accoustic sounf of the emad is better.

Strange, if anything I'd get double triggering before I'd be getting no triggers at all. I'm assuming you've played with your module's settings...?

sensitivity and threshhold were at max almost, yet still no double triggering or any triggering in fact. You said that you fixed it over the ring and over that "spunge" ring?? cause with sponge on my trigger couldn't reach the top. it was over that sponge. Do you think that also the lenght of the cable that links tha trigger with the module counts?

sensitivity and threshhold were at max almost, yet still no double triggering or any triggering in fact. You said that you fixed it over the ring and over that "spunge" ring?? cause with sponge on my trigger couldn't reach the top. it was over that sponge. Do you think that also the lenght of the cable that links tha trigger with the module counts?

I press mine right against the sponge. What trigger are you using?
How long is your cable? I use a 10ft cable and have no problems!

I use ddrum pro triggers, roland td12 module and the cable is almost as long as yours. The thing is that with the powerstroke there were no problems at all

I use ddrum pro triggers, roland td12 module and the cable is almost as long as yours. The thing is that with the powerstroke there were no problems at all

I'm using the same trigger and a TD-3 module and never have this problem.
When you cut a bit of the dampening ring away, does it help?
Out of curiousity, are you triggering the rest of the kit too? Just wondering how you're managine crosstalk between the triggers.

Very strange that you had to switch to a different head, I haven't had any problems with mine!
Oz has a lot of tips in his Drum FAQ, perhaps try the Remo heads he mentions there if you're not liking the Powerstroke.
Unfortunately I'm in work atm and MySpace is blocked, I'll be sure to check out your band later tonight!

Tom: Remo Clear Emperor (batter) / Remo Clear Ambassador (resos)
Kick: Aquarian Super Kick II (batter) / Aquarian Regulator (reso)
Snare: Remo Controlled Sound Coated (batter) / Remo Ambassador (reso)