What drum heads for studio recordins ?

I know most metal drummers like to think that thick heads are the best ... and I think it's mostly due to the fact that metal drummers are supposed to play like fucking ogres, hitting the drums with 2 handers and shit, but I prefer thinner heads, even for metal. Remo Emperor Clear is a decent choise on toms in my opinion, and for the snare... I've actually liked the Evans head that has small holes in it so you don't have to dampen it with tape and shit. Can't remember it's name now but it's totally ok.

Powerstroke 3 Clear on bass drum is pretty standard and it works very well so it shouldn't be necessary to look further imo :)

Do your choices for heads really differ between recording and just playing the drums for fun/live/in a band?

Aye, it should. When you play live and stuff, you want them to last long, so thick heads go a long way. In the studio, thinner heads just sound so much better... just like smaller drums. A big kit can sound crap compared to a small kit (talking about the diameter of the drums).

We use Evans G2/G1 on Top/Bottom of toms respectively, an Evans EQ3 on the kick and usually Remo Ambassador on the snare. We mainly went with the Evans because they were all the store had in our required sizes! We were originally going for Remo Emp/Ambs.

I'd like to give the newer Evans EC1's a shot on Toms. I've had EC2's on two different kits and think they're great heads. I'm curious as to how the single-ply version sound on our recording kit.

Kick: Aquarian Superkick II & Regulator w/ small port hole :kickass:
Toms: Aquarian Response II or Super-2 & Classic Clear :kickass:
Snare: Evans EC2 or Aquarian Response II or Super-2 for metal, Some kind of non-remo 1-ply for more sensitivity

NO NEVER EVER NEVER use auquarian II heads....dullest, deadest sound I ever had to deal with on recordings.
I'd rather work with old emperors with dents and even holes in it before I'll use an aquarianII

I'm assuming you're talking about the Performance IIs... they're designed for durability and a dead sound, they're not really for studio use. They're great for making entry-level kits sound less shitty, or for a rehearsal kit that you don't want to have to re-head often

Aye, it should. When you play live and stuff, you want them to last long, so thick heads go a long way. In the studio, thinner heads just sound so much better... just like smaller drums. A big kit can sound crap compared to a small kit (talking about the diameter of the drums).

So you say thinner heads are better for studio use....