what follows in shadow

rahvin

keeper of the flame
Oct 10, 2001
safe but not far from the city
ok, so the subject has nothing to do with the content of this thread, but at least it's eye-catching. :p

since it seems the feature is here to stay, and it stirs people's curiosity, i aim to post here information and everything relatedd to reputation. for those unaware, it's a value for each user representing some sort of approval/disapproval gathered from other members. you can access a pop-up for the feature by clicking on the small rectangle to the left of the edit button on each post. it's the one that looks like a very annoying guy spitting three crossbow bolts. i think it sums up this feature's usefulness quite nicely.

i already posted this in reply to a request elsewhere on um, and though i do not like to repeat myself, i say, i do not like to repeat myself, it might be a good starting points for those who are interested or just want to know how to stay away from it all. so here goes.

---
- you can only give rep points for a single post (not for users or threads), and only once for each post.

- you can choose whether to give good or bad rep, thus adding or subtracting points to that person's reputation. it is of course possible to give good rep to a user once and then give him bad rep next time round and so on.

- you may or may not add a comment to the rep-giving process, where you may or may not mention who you are.

- reputation is anonymous: if you don't type your nick in the comment box, noone will know it was you who did it.

- the amount of reputation assigned every 24 hours is set to a value that you can't exceed. if you try to give reputation to posts after you've reached your daily quota, you get a message basically telling you that you have to wait.

- after you've given either good or bad rep to a post by one user, you can't give him/her rep points again until a cycle is complete. the cycle is composed of two variables: a certain time that has to pass + a certain number of reputation points given to other users. you can't just give someone rep over and over all day, or targeting that one user only.

- reputation points for everyone start at 10, one green dot. above 100 points, you get a second green dot. above 200, a third one. and so on, i expect, but noone reached such a value yet and we're still unaware of any upper limit in either numbers or green dots. you may never drop below 0, and you may never lose your first green dot.

- you can turn off your reputation from the control panel. you still have your rep points, and you can still receive and give, but no other user will be able to have an idea of how much reputation you've got by looking at the number of green dots, since they will disappear and be substituted by one single black dot.

- rollover comments can be seen by pointing your mouse over any user's dots. as of now, known comments are: between 10 and 5 points = *nickname* is an unknown quantity at this point; below 5 points = *nickname* has a questionable past; 10 points = *nickname*; between 10 and 50-something points = *nickname* is on a distinguished road; between 50-something and 130-something points = *nickname* will become famous soon enough; above 130-something points = *nickname* has a spectacular aura about; black dot = *nickname* reputation off.

- in your control panel screen you can see the latest five reputation given to you and their comments if there are any. a green dot represents good reputation. a red dot represents bad reputation. a white dot represent reputation given to you by someone with reputation turned off and it does not influence the amount of rep points you have in any way.

- the actual number of rep points you add to or subtract from somebody's total depends on two factors: your postcount and the date when you joined ultimatemetal. the higher the number of your posts and the earlier you joined the community, the more you get to influence users' reputation. for instance, the last i've heard i can give/take away 8 points (6,300 posts when i checked - joined october 2001). one of the users with postcount above 11,000 can influence reputation for as much as 12-13 points. do the math if you're interested.

- you cannot graduate the amount of points you either give or take away by choosing a smaller quantity than your maximum.
---

if there's more, i don't remember right now. as far as i know reputation is either the object of a fun "race to the top", where ppl trade and exchange reputation points while being generally cool about it (see opeth off-topic section), or just ignored by most users. it's way too complex to start picking on someone - and then he might just turn it off - for many ppl to bother. as for me, i just give good rep and i always leave my name. it's not that i care much for the feature, but it's a way to pat someone on the shoulder without sending him/her a pm. quicker, and viable even with users you're not really familiar with. also, i find it helps particularly shy/scared newbies gain a bit of confidence.

rahvin.

reputation sucks, we already had enough with stuck up assholes thinking that they were better than others because they hag 974229875+ posts

Thanatos said:
reputation sucks, we already had enough with stuck up assholes thinking that they were better than others because they hag 974229875+ posts

aside from the psychological side-effects (i did not see many people "drunk on reputation" as of yet, actually), there's the fact that since postcount = reputation power, users are inclined to spam more.

rahvin.

More power to the spam as I always say. Except when it gets annoying...:(

Anyways, the one thing I wanna know, and maybe only the god of UM Mark knows...

WHAT DO YOU GET FOR BEING REP MASTER GRAND FLASH!!?!? :eek:

Static said:
WHAT DO YOU GET FOR BEING REP MASTER GRAND FLASH!!?!? :eek:

i have a problem with punctuation here. is this supposed to read: "what do you get for being rep master, [comma and long pause] grand flash? [i.e., you're addressing this grand flash directly, whoever he is]"
or is this supposed to read "what do you get for being [draw a deep breath] rep master grand flash?".

now, in either case i have no idea. :D :p

rahvin.

Thanatos said:
... we already had enough with stuck up assholes thinking that they were better than others because they hag 974229875+ posts

/me has look @ thanatos' postcount :dopey:

you mean, like you? ;)

np: deine lakaien - love me to the end (where's the skip button?!)

Reactions: rahvin and Steve
Thanatos said:

yes, they're called the Opeth Board :lol:
I actually like most of the people with high post counts there (Oyo, Nogie, Phoenix, OpethianSoul, etc.)

Steve420 said:
yes, they're called the Opeth Board :lol:
I actually like most of the people with high post counts there (Oyo, Nogie, Phoenix, OpethianSoul, etc.)

nogie and phoenix are indeed very friendly. can't say about the others, haven't had a chance to talk to them yet.

and, well, out of all the people with higher postcount here, some still hardly ever post on opeth off-topic.

rahvin.

rahvin said:
i have a problem with punctuation here. is this supposed to read: "what do you get for being rep master, [comma and long pause] grand flash? [i.e., you're addressing this grand flash directly, whoever he is]"
or is this supposed to read "what do you get for being [draw a deep breath] rep master grand flash?".

now, in either case i have no idea. :D :p

rahvin.

allow me to type out a very long sentence that has no comma marks or punctuation in order to hopefully drive you fucking insane from the aforementioned lack of punctuation leading to a sort of naturally frenzied psychotic reaction a kind of OMFG WHAT theres no punctuation in that sentence and I love punctuation so much that I may possibly wet myself and cry out to the heavens NOOOOOOO BAD GRAMMAR NONONONO ANTHING BUT THAT ANYTHING BUT THAT as you fall to your knees and cast your arms to the sky which are covered in mud with tears streaming down your cheeks sobbing out the words NO PUNCTUATION IN THAT SENTENCE NO PUNCTUATION IN THAT SENTENCE IS HE FUCKING INSANE then the camera zooms out with this big musical score going boom boom boom as you cry to the heavens WHYYYYYYYYY WHHYYYYYYYY NOOOOOO WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY then the thunder goes BOOM as the orchestration reaches a climax and you fall to the ground exhausted sobbing and moaning in TERROR THATS RIGHT TERROR at the lack of punctuation in this very sentence and you wish upon the might of heaven and the universe itself that you can recover from the bloody horror of a sentence such as this one

...or something. :cool:

i got lost somewhere around the point where the sky was covered in mud... oh, no, wait: my hands were, but you can't use relative clauses. sheesh, for a minute i forgot. :rolleyes:

rahvin.

"flower in the dustbin". that's actually the right denomination.