What gauge for 7-strings?

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Just picked myself up a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser. The stock set of strings on the thing is devastating my fingers when I play lead and do the wide vibratos I normally do.

I'm just wondering, what kind of gauge should I be aiming for to allow fluent lead playing, without making the B string feel like a laundry rope?

On the old guitar I used D'Adarrio .006 gauge. I'm not even sure whether they make any 7-string sets.

Try finding out what guage the currnent strings are, and work backwards. Also, remember what a diff there was when we changed the strings on the PS4, could just be shitty/ old strings.....btw, i thought we put .009 on the Jackson..??

Oh yeah, when you find out what guage you have now, just go to a local music store and ask the same thing, you'll have to go there anyway. Billy Hydes seem to know what they're selling.

Daniel\m/

I think you'll be lucky to find a packaged 'set' of 7 strings that'll you'll like.

I use an Ernie Ball 11-48 - 6 string set, plus an added 62. I was using the same except with a 64 when I played a standard scale, but now I have the 26.5. I bought a bunch of these packs and 'custom gauges' from musiciansfriend.com... with the help of a friend in the US, which was well worth it in everyway.

I say you should use the same strings you do for a 6, or what feels the same (assuming that was tuned standard) then figure out what works as the low string. But expect it to be a bigger jump from the E to B.. well at least in my experience it takes that to get roughly the same tension.

Benny H said:
I say you should use the same strings you do for a 6, or what feels the same (assuming that was tuned standard) then figure out what works as the low string. But expect it to be a bigger jump from the E to B.. well at least in my experience it takes that to get roughly the same tension.

remember that the guitar he bought is a 26½" scale guitar, not 25½" :)

Yeah, the C-7 has a bit of an extended scale; so you might have to go down a guage. I just put up with the added tension until my fingers got used to it. :p

I just use a standard D'Adarrio 10-56 7 string set.

I use the Zakk "lo-tune" GHS set which has a .070 for the low. It's 11-70, and I put a 9 for the high e. perfect for leads, better for chunk. that .070 feels like a railroad track.

I have a Jap Ibanez 7621 fixed bridge 7 which is 25.5" scale. Those strings are perfect for it.

PS - Did you mean .009 gauge and not .006? 6 gauge strings just sound really really scary.