What Got You Into Opeth?

I saw them at a festival and had never heard of them before. They played "Deliverance". After the show I couldn't get the outro of the song out of my head. Back at home I bought the album "Deliverance" and soon another one and another one....

honestly, ghost of perdition, never heard opeth before and a friend lent it to me(the album) and it just........:lol: i guess you could say love at first the first second

I was playing in a friends band, and they wanted to play Demon of the Fall. I didn't participate in that project because I didn't know what it was, so they showed it to me. I used to dislike it, because there were too many different riffs and long ones, but like any music, I started to listen it furter and discovered all these great songs (starting with Demon of the Fall, then Deliverance). Hopefully I did.

For some reason for which I don't remember I had two songs of Damnation-Hope Leaves and In My Time Of Need.However they got there I am eternally greatful they were,I soon explored them more after hearing both tracks and was natrually suprised to find they had elements of death metal in their music as well and finding out that mellow progressive rock style tracks like that were the exception rather than the rule though with Opeth.But I did enjoy Opeth's material and unlike a lot of other people I did get into the band at quite a quick speed.

drapery falls was intro, followed up by blackwater park, deliverance, ghost of perdition, beneath the mire, and harlequin forest.
Then after being stuck in a car for 18 + hours (back and forth) to festival listening to DT the whole time (not my car) I got heavy cravings for some prog death metal.
Went to an obscure music shop the same holiday and got blackwater park, ghost reveries and still life. the rest is history.

Black Rose Immortal essentially. My friend leant me a mix CD with..

1. The Moor
2. Deliverance
3. Demon of the Fall
4. Black Rose Immortal
5. Harvest

I know it's cliche but the growls took a while to digest. I remember I was making a skate vid using movie maker (so naturally it kept freezing and I had a lot of time for listening). So I kept Black Rose on repeat and it was like a rollercoaster. I'd wait for the beautiful mellow bits, then 'tolerate' the heavy, and so forth. Then after a while I realised the beauty beneath the growls, and then in the growls themselves. And while I was already deeply impressed, it was Blackwater Park (song) that blew me away completely. It was the most mesmorising atmosphere I had ever experienced in music (besides maybe JBuckley's Grace).

As I mentioned before, Blackwater park was my first album, which i didn't listen to in its entirety until 6 months after I bought it, and when I finally listened to it, have been completey hooked ever since. Can't wait until 5/29 in myrtle beach for my second coming!

I heard a short sample of Serenity Painted Death on iTunes and decided to buy it. I listened to the track over and over again and decided to get Still Life.

There we go.

Well a buddy of mine was into the heavier stuff like Opeth, and I heard the name so I decided to youtube them one day, and the first video that came up was a live version of "When." I didn't exactly love the growls but I remember thinking how powerful they were and how they made me feel, I then heard Harvest and was amazed it was the same singer. A couple years later and When is still my favourite song, I just saw them on the 24th in Toronto and it blew me away. I love Opeth and I doubt I will ever stop listening to them.

For me it was definately the Drapery Falls. Someone recommended them to me and it was the first video that I found. I was instantly hooked, so I went out and bought Blackwater Park and then the Roundhose Tapes. That's all I have as of now, but I will buy them all eventually.

I regularly read BNR metal pages, so I heard about Opeth from there. I downloaded Bleak from Kazaa back in 2002 to check them out, along with several other bands. That song blew me away, thought it was the greatest metal I had ever heard. I went out and bought all of their CDs I could find. I now think Opeth is the greatest metal band on earth, and I have been listening to metal for 30 years.

Other outstanding bands I have been turned on to via BNR are Virgin Black, Unexpect, Sigh, and Hollenthon.

a great friend of mine is a huge fan ( i think he bleeds opeth) and he kept raving about them and when he went to the An Evening with Opeth he said it was a life changing experience. I started listening to them and omg. I finally got to go to a concert in rosemont, il and it was amazing. Even though they only did a few songs i craved them even more. I find myself craving them. ..

Oh gosh it was so long ago, I don't even particularly remember what spurred me to look into them. I imagine it is quite like how I discover new music now, just continually exposing myself to new things regardless. I do remember the day I bought Still Life though, it was the first cd of theirs that I purchased. I can even remember the dank smell of the cardboard slip when I unwrapped it.