What Got You Into Opeth?

Quite simply Blackwater Park. I think it was under the itunes thing people also bought. I considered getting it for a bit then one day I was in coconuts looking for something new in the metal section and I saw the BWP album and I was like "Hell the reviews are good, why not?"

Put on Leper Affinity and was blown away. Sadly BWP is the only actual album I physically own. Everything else is digital... Don't hurt me... it's cheaper.

1999.. Prologue/April Ethereal, then a brief skip through the rest of MAYH in a St. Louis music store. Hooked. I got SL when it came out in Canada.

My first Opeth show I got a press pass and backstage - was amazing! -too bad my gf and her bro left and I had to cab home ($50 more)..

Which show are you going to....Clearwater, or Orlando?

Orlando, and I've got one hell of a story about it! I just got home...

So, I'm on my way into the Universal Studios City Walk this evening in Orlando and run into Axe. I introduce myself to him, shake his hand and wish him well for their set this evening.

I met Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater a while back, and he gave me some aftershow passes for DT. We hung out in the Green Room and talked with Petrucci and Rudess for a little bit and left.

On the way out of Hard Rock live we stop by the merchandising area while they were packing everything up. Eight of us were just standing around BSing and Mike, Martin and Fredrik come walking out. I make some smart ass comment to Mike and the next thing I know we're talking with the three of them and a Roadrunner rep. I asked Martin and Mike to put Karma on the set list next time they're in the states!

Mike makes a comment that they're going to Margaritaville and we follow them over. Long story short, we got to hang out with the three of them and Per shows up later on. I got the chance to talk with them for a while and bought Martin a beer. All in all, I met the entire band tonight and got to have beers with four of the five!

First song I heard was Ghost Of Perdition. Now, imagine a 12 year old boy that has only listened to bands like Metallica and HammerFall before, and gets Opeth recommended and downloads Ghjost Reveries. The 12 year old boy put on Ghost Of Perdition and thinks 'I can't hear anything, got to turn up the volume' and then the growls came in...scared the heck outta me. Since then I've got used to Opeth (it's my favourite band, ofc) and Opeth opened up for the entire extreme music scene for me. :)

A couple of years ago, I was looking into finding out about more extreme kinds of metal and I basically just went on a forum where there was a topic where people suggested bands and picked out ones with cool names to find out more about, and Opeth was the first name I picked ;)

First song I heard was A Fair Judgement, but the three that really got me into Opeth must've been Master's Apprentices, The Leper Affinity and When

master's apprentices. first opeth song i heard, and i was immediately hooked. i very rarely listen to any other bands, and i sure as hell don't like this crap that passes for metal music here in the us. i totally agree with what mikael said in the GR doc, that most of the metal bands that are popular these days are really shitty. and moreso in every other genre of music, imo. there's an opeth cd in every cd player i own, MAYH is in my car right now. there's only a few parts of a couple of songs that i'm not too fond of, (one being the "lock the children away from harm" part of hessian peel), but i dont' want to listen to anything but opeth.