What got you into playing guitar?

Mario86

Droogie
Apr 6, 2006
Milwaukee
Hey James,
Before the question, I just wanna say, I really dig that you answer all of my questions and everyone else's. :kickass:

On to the question: What got you inspired to start playing guitar? Was is the usual "I wanted to be like EVH or Ace Frehley" or did you get into guitar a different way? When did you start playing?

Thanks a lot:worship:

guitar just really resonated with me from a very young age..... but i never got my hands on one of my own until i was nearly 17. i always keyed on the guitar in whatever music i was listening too though... and always just knew that i wanted to play. then i was enraptured by the holy trinity....

Tony Iommi

Angus Young

Randy Rhoads

all i know is one day, me and my buddy tyler are talking metal, right? and he just says, "dude, get a guitar" i was 18. starting a little late, but better late than never.

One day I decided I wanted to be cool, so I got a guitar... :p

Nah, I'm from a musical family, and I was learning piano, and I decided I wanted to learn guitar instead, so after a certain amount of time showing a commitment to piano, mum and dad let me learn guitar... I'm glad they made me learn piano back then though, cos it's helped me enormously in understanding theory etc.

It wasn't until hearing Metallica- Call Of The Ktulu with the Symphony orchestra that I started down the path of metal (I'm from a classical background), and it was upon hearing John Petrucci on Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory that I determined to play the best kind of Progressive Metal...

I wanted to learn how to play as a matter of practicality. I got tired of waiting on guitarists to write songs so I could sing on them. So I learned how to play so I could write songs. Lol... Ok, songs minus solos. If you want to play a solo in the song write the damn part yourself!!! :)

I started on drums at age 11, did vocals when I was 14 or so, then went on to play guitar at 16 JM was a big one for me, along with Andy La Rocque of KD.

I rememmber hearing JM on Obituary, Death, Gorguts, Cancer and then Disencarnate, that band blew me away.

All Hail James Murphy!

\m/

Death's Zombie ritual L.A live video, and proud of it.

I started messing around with a lend guitar when i was 15 or so, then at 16 in the middle of a normal day i saw that video. The moment i saw that solo i was sold(i was thinking of going bass). Man the way chuck moved those fingers.... The camera shot everything perfectly to. It looked like a catepillar moved along the neck.

The only problem was that i underestimated how hard it was. Now 3 years later i still can only play SOME death solo's. But hell most shredders begin after 3 years anyway.