What happened to the "Opeth" logo?

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
Not that it REALLY matters, but anyone know if it's possible to get Ghost Reverie albums WITH their Opeth logo on the cover? I was kind of surprised when I picked it up day one and noticed the logo was not on the cover or anywhere else for that matter.

Such a shame, because they truly do have one hell of a logo, I must say. And yeah, it'd look AWESOME on the cover as it even shows on their main website, etc.

I wonder why they decided to ditch it? Sure, the cover looks pretty "classy" with just the artwork, but I like seeing the logo on the front.

they got rid of it with good reason, it looked shitty with the logo on there, i say good riddance to it, if you want the logo draw it on yourself

FRUGiHOYi said:
No, it's only on the plastic wrapping. I think it looks a lot better without the logo.

Mine has the sticker on the case, and the vinyl has a similar sticker on the cover as well. It's quite cool to be able to see the cover art without the logo, but I think I perefer the logo being there...

Plus the logo is on the actual CD anyway.

I was a little surprised too, when I discovered the logo and title weren't actually on the booklet. Before the album came out I had hoped that they wouldn't put the logo on. Here is a little interesting thing to add for you newer fans of Opeth. The first 3 Opeth albums (Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse) had no logo on the original candlelight records pressing. It was century media who put the logo on those albums when they bought the licensing rights to distribute those albums. The band had no idea that century media did that for some time.

Miller High Death said:
The first 3 Opeth albums (Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse) had no logo on the original candlelight records pressing. It was century media who put the logo on those albums when they bought the licensing rights to distribute those albums. The band had no idea that century media did that for some time.

Actually, this is exactly why I like the Ghost Reveries cover art, because it reminds me of the first three albums when they first came out!

The American version doesn't have the logo. It doesn't matter though, because the art is so similar in style and tone to Deliverance/Damnation that I would think (hope) people would recognize it. (Aside from the fact that the cd is placed under Opeth in stores.)

I prefer it without the logo as well.

I remember reading in an interview a while ago that Mikael has a great preference for the cover art by itself, without the logo. I guess it kind of hearkens back to some of the 70s artists (particularly prog rock musicians) who left the logo/band name off the LP cover. Kind of lets the art speak for itself, you know?

I guess this was carried through to its fullest extent when Zeppelin released their fourth album.

Hey, logo or no logo it doesn't really bother me. It'd be nice to have the option to have a cover with the logo or without one. I mean, I'm definitely not the only one here who thinks they have a killer logo - with a logo like that, I think it even enhances the overall look of the cover. Like say, for example on BWP and Still Life (couldn't picture it withoutthe logo.) The special edition of BWP had NO logo and I didn't like the cover as much.

Eh, whatever...in the end, I was just surprised a logo wasn't included, that's all. If not on the cover (which would be understandable), should have been in the booklet