what head for that bay area thrash tone?

Didn't know that about RtL or MoP, but they're definitely using EMG's in the "One" video (thus I assumed they were on Justice), and every rhythm guitar shown during the "Year and a half in the Life of Metallica" docu has EMG's in it, so I'm certain they're on the Black Album

I dunno what you guys are talking about with the Krank...that's about the least thrashy amp that's been mentioned. You never see thrash bands out here with Krank and you obviously didn't see them in the 80s with Krank.

Exodus are the kings of thrash right now...you want good thrash tone, use what they are using, Engl, XXX, maybe Marshall...Randall too even

i gotta check out a 2203KK

right now i have a 5150 and it sounds great but its not tight enough and it is a little fizzy but i am using a cab with g12t's

i played a blackstar club 50 and that thing sounded amazing! best thrash tone i have found in an amp yet.

what about vht? i've never played one, but apparently they're very tight, defined, and on the raw side - are they aggressive and edgy enough for thrash sounds?

+1 on the ampeg vl-1002, if you can find one...and it isn't broken

i'm also with lasse on this one about the kranks - i know that the rev jr. i had could pump out awesome thrash tones, especially with some well-placed turning of the sweep knob!

if i had to be more specific about the tone i am looking for, then this would be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a quiz for you guys, pause it @ 1:36, it shows a full view of his head but i have never seen one before so i have no clue what it could be and he covered up the logo with tape. anyone know what it is?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9qzcu_Jgco&feature=relmfu[/ame]

My bet is on valvestate.
vs8100.jpg

yeah, awesome band & awesome oldschool thrash tone!

the valvestate i have here doesn't quite get there though....too dry and somewhat brittle. the jvm does a much better job at getting that thrash tone tbh.