What headphones do you use?

Got a pair of Ludacris Soul SL150's for $60, down from like $150 or something normally. Super nice. Yeah they're a hip-hop artist "branded" product, but TBH although they aren't nearly as studio-flat as some better 'phone, but they're a lot livelier.

71ea2b53c254a6a29f7da233d0238ccd.png

I have two pairs of Skull Candy ear buds and will never use another brand ever again. The sound is awesome and they fit comfortably in my ears.

I have Skullcandy Headphones and can't tell the difference between them and more expensive headphones.

Either you're listening to it through a shitty source (cheap laptop or MP3 player) or you're listening to super low bitrate music. Or, possibly, you just have bad ears.

Hell I can tell the difference between when my headphones are amped or not, even at the same volume level.

I hate headphones, but when I must use them, I use those shitty apple earbuds that came with my phone, or a mediocre pair of bose headphones that I got as a gift.

Run my metal through my OLD Sony STR-845 amp with a set of 5.1 sony speakers with a 150 watt powered sub..using PS3 and computer for a media server. Works pretty good and sounds fine for being so old. Phillips ear buds for mp3 player use.

Anyone who listens to metal through earbuds is missing out.

Depends on the buds. You get some decently high-end IEMs and it can sound excellent.

People talking about stock iPod buds or whatever just fucking baffle me. I think I understand why some around here like or dislike certain types of metal, they ain't able to hear the full thing.

Depends on the buds. You get some decently high-end IEMs and it can sound excellent.

People talking about stock iPod buds or whatever just fucking baffle me. I think I understand why some around here like or dislike certain types of metal, they ain't able to hear the full thing.

I dunno, I've tried a lot of them and they always seem to make any death metal band sound like shit. That kind of music needs to be loud as fuck and POWERFUL.

I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50S headphones, they are the most amazing headphones I've had, great build quality, comfortable, and excellent sound.

QFT. I just bought a pair of Westone 4s after my Shure SE530s crapped out for my on the go setup and the listening experience is fantastic. Just as good as a solid speaker setup for sure, except with more isolation. The only thing that is truly noticeable is that heart thumping bass (40hz or less) that an external subwoofer will give you; it's still there, but you can 'hear' more than you can 'feel' it. Thankfully I listen to primarily metal and not rap/hip-hop/other bass dominant forms of music where the bass drops are meant to be felt (or rattle the trunk of your car, lol). Otherwise you would be surprised with the fullness and power that a good IEM can provide. Understand that you still get the solid 50hz thumping bass, but the lower/subsonic bass doesnt leave the same impact as a subwoofer.

Yea they are so bad I cant even stand it. They make everything sound like harsh clipped noise, plus they are so uncomfortable to wear. And I totally agree with you, the equipment you use is almost as important as the music itself. I couldnt truly appreciate Beherit's Drawing Down the Moon until I amped my headphones. Tbh im a little shocked that more people on this forum dont have better equipment considering the zeal with which they appreciate music.

As for my setup, I have a pair of AKG K702s hooked up to a Schiit Lyr tube amp and a Schiit Bifrost DAC. The value of a good headphone and source definitely has to be heard to be believed.

Tbh im a little shocked that more people on this forum dont have better equipment considering the zeal with which they appreciate music.

Big time truth here. I don't understand how anyone can be passionate about music and listen to it through shitty drivers.

I'm willing to bet that's why a lot of people don't understand it when I point out bad production on certain albums. The thin sound to the drums or bass doesn't sound any different when it's iPhone earbuds or other cheapie 'phones, but throw in something with some oomph to them and the difference between a well produced and a poorly produced album is STRIKING.

Would it be okay to buy used headphones, or is this something I should get new? There's some Sennheiser HD 380s on Amazon for the same price as new 280s.