What headphones do you use?

By all means, get used. If anything it just means there's no "burn in" period, they'll sound awesome right out of the box. Some people say to watch out for used in-ear buds, but if they're the rubber tipped kind just wash them in really hot water and you're good to go.

what do you guys recommend for ear buds for grass cutting?
Which would mean I'd need something to cancel the lawn mower noise..
Also I have tiny ear holes, so something with interchangable sizes.

100 degrees and giant headphones on doesnt sound super comfortable

I use cheap skullcandies for cutting grass and at work. You will eventually break the wires so no point in going expensive, imo.

And for the price, you really can't beat $10 skullcandies, imo.

I have a high end pair of skullcandies for my computer and they work very nicely.

I use my Atrios. They're far from cheap, but they seal out the noise flawlessly and I really don't understand how anyone is going to pop a headphone wire mowing the lawn. I don't wear them to the GYM, but I have no idea what people are doing at desk jobs and walking around the yard that's ruining wires.

If I had to make a suggestion? Something like the Klipsch s4's. They run for like $50 now, one of the best deals in the range.

^^ Cheap earbuds break easily, thats probably why. I got 5 years out of my Shures and I mowed grass, went to the gym, and did pretty much aything with them. After owning them for 6 months I never bothered using the case again, which in retrospect is the reason why the headphone jack started to rust out. Even given their design flaws I could have gotten another 2 or 3 years out of them if I bothered to store them with a little more care. So I just dropped another $400 on my pair of Westone 4s (because I think it's worth it) and am using them on the go for whatever I want.

As far as what to get for grass mowing, id say it depends on your price range. For $50 ive heard good things about the Klipsch s4 like SomeGuyDude mentioned, but you can always go here for a pretty good market overview.

Seems like a lot of people here have Skullcandys, which I find unusual since they are a bass dominant headphone built for rap/hip-hop/pop. Very sloppy for metal imho.

For sub-$20 you can get at Best Buy it's hard to find better than the Skullcandy Ink'd. But that's real bottom of the barrel there, IMO if you listen to music for more than 30 minutes a day you owe it to yourself to get at least a $50-100 pair. They'll last longer, meaning no extra money to replace them, and the improved sound will make those hours upon hours more enjoyable.

Id go with the JVC HA-FX34 over the Ink'd for sub-$20, but otherwise yea, it's worth spending just a little bit more for something much better. As for me, in ruined, I cant seem to spend less than $200 on an IEM anymore without being disappointed.

LOL I'm telling you the Atrios are AWESOME for sub-200.

I'm picking up a pair of Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 80ohms this week, I think. Heard good things, and I really want a pair of TRUE circumnaurals.

I love my fairly inexpensive Sennheisers. Mine were $75 range and I'm happy as hell with them. Good range, comfy fit, and I'm happy with the bass.

HD_428_ProductImage.jpg

what do you guys recommend for ear buds for grass cutting?
Which would mean I'd need something to cancel the lawn mower noise..
Also I have tiny ear holes, so something with interchangable sizes.

I use these. Seem to work well.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003YKG2XC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369017279&sr=8-3&keywords=logitech+earbuds"]Ultimate Ears[/ame]

A gripe I've come to find a lot of people guilty of.

You say you need expensive shit to properly listen to music through
However, you mostly listen to compressed, lossy mp3s instead of lossless audio like flac or wav (or dare I say the actual cd itself?)

There are two problems with that, though.

One is that "lossy" is relative. I download most of my music through Spotify at 320, or I'll stream it through my home WiFi at the same bitrate. Lossless is frankly pointless in terms of fidelity to filesize, the human ear, even though the best drivers, isn't going to notice the difference too far over about 200kbps. I use 320 just because I can.

Two is that even with a lossy codec like an mp3 @ 128/160, that doesn't change the frequency spectrum and bad headphones aren't going to have good representation of that. They'll have muddy bass or no bass at all, sharp highs and a response curve that's all over the place, with a lot of them missing areas entirely. You can listen to FM radio through shit headphones versus good ones and it'll make a vast difference. No matter how lossy the codec is, having headphones with a full frequency range will sound LOADS better than those without. It's about maximizing what you have.

Also, "expensive shit" is relative. I'm not telling anyone to drop $600 on Grados or Denon headphones with a $500 amp and a new DAC. $50-100 for a decent pair of headphones is less than a bar tab on a pretty good Saturday. Listening to music through shitball iPhone buds is like listening to it through an answering machine.

Besides, think of it like a chain: Production Quality -> Source File -> Drivers. If you're listening to a poor quality copy of a file, listening to it through bad headphones is just going to make it EVEN WORSE. Why would you do that?

Listening to music through shitball iPhone buds is like listening to it through an answering machine.

So true. I see quite a few people on the train etc. with these and I'm always thinking that must sound so crappy. Even worse is when people are listening with just one iPhone bud in one ear - why bother?

I remember doing a blind test a couple of years ago with friends, playing the same song encoded at 128 and at 256 through an MP3 player (can't remember which headphones) and everyone unanimously picked the 256 as the better sounding song. But I agree, once you get past about 192 the difference becomes negligible.

I'm a big supporter of the in-ear headphones (I have the Sennheiser SE215's) - great for removing outside noise and keeping up the bass.

Basically it all comes down to transparency, which I guess makes lossless a bit relative. Which in effect comes down to inherent hearing ability vs equipment quality. Like SomeGuyDude suggested, if you have crappy equipment, you wont be able to discern a difference regardless of how good your ears are (age vs natural ability to hear). You will just have shit quality no matter what quality your source file is. But with more high end equipment, the ability of the equipment to distinguish differences in quality is improved, and therefore you are more likely to notice a difference, even given slight biological differences.

MOST of the time I am able to tell the difference between a 320kbps mp3 and one of a lower bitrate, but it really depends on the complexity/fullness of the music and the production. Therefore I always rip in at least 320kbps mp3 just to be safe. But the difference between 320kbps mp3 and lossless is usually just a subtle difference in clarity. Cymbals may ring with more brightness and sound more natural, instrument separation may be a little better, etc. Though unless the music is very textures/layered, I find it hard or impossible to tell any difference, even with the most hi-fi of my equipment (which isnt all that high-end tbh). So for the most part a 320kbps mp3 is completely satisfactory to my ears and equipment, and even if I can tell the difference, it is usually so subtle as to be insignificant.

I still continue to rip my favorites in lossless FLAC format though, even if it is just placebo more than half the time. I have over a terabyte of free hard drive space so for every lossless file I have a duplicate 320kbps mp3. Imo it is fully worth the effort of trying to enjoy the music I like in the best way I possibly can (without going bankrupt). I admit to doing a little bit of downloading, so some of my collection is slightly bitrate starved. Though as long is it isnt 128kbps or lower it is more or less listenable.

That's really why I love Spotify. On WiFi you can stream at 320, plus on my phone that's the bitrate I download everything at, so honestly unless I'm doing a lot of shit like Last.FM or Spotify Radio (which I try not to while on mobile) I always have everything at high quality.

Also, holy BALLS the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro with a Fiio amp.

But I agree, once you get past about 192 the difference becomes negligible.

Yeah I use 192, just for space saving reasons. If I go higher, my library won't fit on the 16gb ipod. It's about to be full at 192 still, I guess I will start picking and choosing what songs go on the ipod.