What if Follow the Reaper...

Syd Sabbath

Son of Al Capone
Apr 11, 2004
It's a weird question, I know, but from what I've read, CoB was a LITTLE disappointed with Follow the Reaper, mainly cause Anssi Kippo didn't produce it (from what I've heard, I may be wrong).

If he would've produced it, you think FTR would've just sounded cleaner, heavier, or would it maybe have a completely different fuckin feel to it?

Finally, if Anssi Kippo DIDN'T produce the upcoming cds, who would love to have produce them? I think Flemming Rasmussen (if he learned how to mix bass), or Rick Rubin, imagine THAT SHIT! Even though It would completely change CoB and shit.

I don't know, man, it's late and I'm tired, forgive me if I'm writing crazy ass shit here.

Fully agreed, i dont know what is up with these people saying FTR had shitty recording. You can hear all the instruments way more cleanly in that one than any other.

I think FTR is extremely cool, one way or another, I fail to detect the crappy sound.
But the CoB guys prob. want their albums to be perfect (duhhhhh?!) so they will whin about anything that is only a bit off to their opinion. Hell, I would do that too. You make a kickass album, and still bitch about it \m/.
Now that's what making music is all about.....it's never perfect, so you try to improve...

The "producer" is just the guy who throws money at the project, i don't think it would have made any difference. They put his name on the album because it's his money, that's all.

Cool thread.

I myself don't like the FTR production at all and it would be interesting to know how it would've sounded like if they had recorded it in Astia aswell. It seems that Peter didn't have that much influence on it, though, as the booklet says that the COB guys co-produced it (he was busy giving interviews and stuff, I guess this is why the band doesn't seem to be that happy with the outcome). However, I heard Peter gave some good singing tips to Alexi and I really like the vocals on FTR.

I do like FtR a lot. Production wise, it is clear-but I do prefer the Anssi produced sound a bit more, for them anyway. I think the songs are really good; but I think the other albums "flowed" a bit better, if that makes any sense. But FtR get a lot of play from me. I mean, with songs like Mask of Sanity, Kissing the Shadows and Everytime I Die, I can't help it. :) But i do wonder what it would have sounded like produced by Anssi, who is an excellent producer(heard many albums produced by him) and seems to really push the bands hard.

i definitely notice that the guitars have too much treble at loud volumes, enough to hurt my ears...but other than that, i love the production. the instruments sound great. it sounds more slick than the new record, which is more raw. im interested to know if the bodom guys arent happy with it though, because it is by far my favorite bodom record. i dont see how they couldnt be happy with it.

Um, no, doesnt matter to me. I love it the way it is, and i dont think production changes would change it much, if any.