What if...

The_Wanderer

In search for truth
Oct 15, 2001
Santiago de chilito
Visit site
How do you think that Opeth would sound today if Johan DeFaralla and Anders Nordin wouldn't have left the band.
I actually liked Johan´s bass a lot. Hed did a great job.

I think that Opeth should explore and improve not only the guitars but also the bass and the drum work in their next album .

:confused: :confused: :confused:

All in all, I think I'd like Opeth even more, seeing how Morningrise and Orchid are 2 of my favorite albums of all time. Of course, I've got no real complaints about the new stuff.

I prefer the early line-up. Farfalla's bass stands out, and Nordin is a very creative drummer.

Then of course Orchid and Morningrise are my faves.

I love DeFaralla's work on Orchid and Morningrise, but I think Martin's more subtle style fits the newer very well. I can't really imagine the bass-as-a-solo-instrument approach on some Blackwater Park songs.

I too prefer the bass and drums of Orchid and Morningrise. After Morningrise though, the guitar style and sound changed dramatically so it was natural to adopt a new drum/bass style into Opeth's music. Martin's bass lines work beautifully in BWP and I feel Still Life also has some really good bass parts. MAYH is the weakest album bass-wise. I can understand how Mike wouldn't want to stick with the primarily single-note lines of Orchid and Morningrise. What I would like to see on the next album is more of a combination of their "newer" style mixed with old mixed with some things they've never done before. And I'm talking in terms of all instruments, not just the guitar. I know it's wishful thinking but if it ever happens I'll die a happy man!

Apparently, (according to Mike), DeFarfalla had a bit of a "rock-star" attitude and I think that had a lot to do with his getting kicked out of the band. I liked the bass-as-solo sound as well, but what Soul Forlorn says makes sense. It would be nice to hear more prominence and variation in the bass parts again, I'll agree, but only if it fits whatever it is that Mikeal is writing.

I'm not sure about Johan's "Rock Star" attitude.. He always came across as quite a modest guy. I think he just rubbed the rest of the band up the wrong way and just didn't "click". They complained that Johan was a bit of a snob and stuff like that... I dunno..

Personally I prefer the less over-the-top bass approach. Bass as a lead instrument just doesn't work for me.

Lee

Originally posted by Lee_B
I'm not sure about Johan's "Rock Star" attitude.. He always came across as quite a modest guy. I think he just rubbed the rest of the band up the wrong way and just didn't "click". They complained that Johan was a bit of a snob and stuff like that... I dunno..

Personally I prefer the less over-the-top bass approach. Bass as a lead instrument just doesn't work for me.

Lee

Johan was the one to come up with those bass lines I think. And so considering this, I think Mikael 'represses' that kind of individuality because he is a control freak. He doesn't like to be overshadowed by anyone. Hate to point this out but I think it may be true; and I'm a bit dissapointed, at least a little, as I really do love that bass-as-solo counterpoint in the music.

I like Anders Nordin's drums a lot. Orchid and Morningrise's drums had more of a jazzy feeling to it. I liked that a lot better. It really shows on songs such as "The Apostle In Triumph"... Martin's drums are great too, but I liked Anders' style a bit better.

I think Mikael 'represses' that kind of individuality because he is a control freak. He doesn't like to be overshadowed by anyone. Hate to point this out but I think it may be true...

What makes you think that about Mikael? Just that they replaced DeFaralla because he wanted to stand WAY out more than most or are there other reasons? I never got that impression from the interviews and stories I've read myself. I'm curious. I admit, I don't see Mikael oppressing anyone else's creativity, especially if it'll only make their music more......prominent. I, at times, wish the bass wasn't so.....ballsy, but I also must include that Orchid is held high out of the five releases in my eyes.

I´m pretty sure that I read in an interview with Mikael Åkerfeldt that he, mikael wrote all the basslines on Orchid and Morningrise.