What interface are you going to move to for Pro Tools 9?

What Adam said about round-trip latency is absolutly right!!!

I heard good and bad things about the steinberg interface.
Like with the focusrite saffire stuff.

The RME stuff is realy stabil and thats what you want in a professional studio-situation.

Same goes for Metric halo. Super stabil drivers. I track with the buffer @64 and I have never had any dropouts or stuff.

And I notice the latency very well over 128 when I play guitar.
Had a lot of drummers in, that had problems with buffer over 128, too

Sorry dude, but I'm still a bit lost here. Bear with me one more second, please? :D

You're saying "say goodbye to 24 I/O" and that you can't get 48 I/O without MADI. Which is it?

The Alphalink AX has six ADAT lightpipe connections, three ins, three outs, each capable of transferring eight channels. That's 24 in ADAT, 24 out ADAT. It has also got 24 in analog and 24 out analog. Also, in this post it is said that it works the way I described.

Alphalink is an 24 analog I/O and a 24 digital I/O (so 48 channels usable at the same time)

If you use an alphalink in stand alone mod (without madixtrem card, deltalink...), your analog I/O are routed to your digital I/O (via adat in your case) so you only have 24 channels usable at the same time.

So alphalink via madixtrem/deltalink

-24 analog I/O
>48 I/O at the same time
-24 digital I/O

Alphalink in stand alone mod:

24 analog I/O>going to your 24 digital I/O>24 I/O at the same time

So in stand alone mod you loose your 24 digital I/O since this I/O are used to feed your analog I/O to your daw.

Sorry I can't be more clear... But I encourage you to download alphalink manual (findable on SSL website), and learn it.

Alphalink is an 24 analog I/O and a 24 digital I/O (so 48 channels usable at the same time)

If you use an alphalink in stand alone mod (without madixtrem card, deltalink...), your analog I/O are routed to your digital I/O (via adat in your case) so you only have 24 channels usable at the same time.

So alphalink via madixtrem/deltalink

-24 analog I/O
>48 I/O at the same time
-24 digital I/O

Alphalink in stand alone mod:

24 analog I/O>going to your 24 digital I/O>24 I/O at the same time

So in stand alone mod you loose your 24 digital I/O since this I/O are used to feed your analog I/O to your daw.

Sorry I can't be more clear... But I encourage you to download alphalink manual (findable on SSL website), and learn it.

Heh, this actually exactly what I meant the whole time :lol: Guess we had a bit of a mutual misunderstanding there :)

Heh, this actually exactly what I meant the whole time :lol: Guess we had a bit of a mutual misunderstanding there :)

But for go to what I wanted to say: why buying a 48 I/O converter since you only want use 24 I/O max?

I'm sure you can find something more suitable for your need, and for cheaper on used market (have apogee rosetta or aurora in mind).

But for go to what I wanted to say: why buying a 48 I/O converter since you only want use 24 I/O max?

I'm sure you can find something more suitable for your need, and for cheaper on used market (have apogee rosetta or aurora in mind).

The Lynx Aurora 16 with the ADAT expansions is 2900€ for 16 channels. With the Alphalink you'd get 24 inputs for 1666€, so that's 8 more I/O for almost half the price :)

Finding that kind of stuff used for a good price isn't easy here, either.

Anyone using any of the Focusrite or Mackie interfaces?

I'm looking for something with better pres than my 002R currently has.

Looking at these

http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxblackbird/

http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/liquid_saffire_56

The Motu 896 is also something I'd consider, anyone with experience with any of these things, I'd like to hear from you. I'd be running my Motu 8Pre alongside whatever other interface I get via ADAT.

Ryan (catharisis) has a mackie...and Guitarguru has the saffire and some other ones, i cant remember. They could tell you

tbh I doubt the pres in either of those are significantly different/better than the 002.
People hate on Digi hardware unnecessarily.
The only focusrite stuff that isn't monumentally average is the red series. And i own a Isa 428 and use it all the time.

tbh I doubt the pres in either of those are significantly different/better than the 002.
The only focusrite stuff that isn't monumentally average is the red series. And i own a Isa 428 and use it all the time.
I remember that reamping shootout with the Digi002 and it's preamps sounded like shit, while the others sounded very similiar (good).

I have a Saffire pro 40 and an ADA8000. I can tell you that the pres in the Saffire are GREAT! I dont think they color the tone at all, and the unit is solid as a rock with a billion and one routing options. The 56 is just the big brother of the 40. I would like to think that the Saffire would definitely out do the mackie in terms of the quality of the Pres.

I Love My Saffire and once I move to PT I will be picking up a second one for sure.

The only focusrite stuff that isn't monumentally average is the red series.

I couldnt disagree with this statement any more. Most people havent a clue when it comes to this stuff. Not saying that you don't greyskull. But the pres in the pro 40 and 56 are not your "average pre". The sound great, and scarcely color the tone at all.

And honestly THIS is the only thing that didnt make me buy the 56

"In addition to six of Focusrite's legendary mic-pre's, two of Liquid Saffire 56’s pre-amps utilises the third generation of Focusrite’s Liquid Pre-amp, providing the choice of ten different pre-amp emulations. These include emulations based on the Neve 1073, the Pultec MB-1, Telefunken V72 and seven more. A harmonics dial on each Liquid pre-amp lets you account for variance in vintage originals of the same model, or use levels of 2nd, 3rd and 5th Harmonic distortion creatively to shape your sound."

Pretty much a waste imho, and anything with the word "emulation" in it I try and avoid.

There is also this statement from the Focusrite website, so I guess they are just lieing through their teeth, and the hundreds of thousands of users out there have shitty ears.

As with the Red and ISA ranges, the Mic-pre technology found in the Platinum and Saffire ranges is designed to the highest possible standards. They uphold the same wide bandwidth philosophy featured in the original forté console, back in 1989. All Focusrite mic-pres feature custom components which have undergone an intense testing and qualification process. With the facts and figures in, Focusrite designs then have to pass the essential listening stage. Any design can measure well on the test bench but only a great design can be qualified in the studio. The FET-based design in the Saffire range is no exception and ensures the same low noise and distortion performance as earlier transformer-based designs. It delivers clarity without colouration and exhibits the signature transparency for which Focusrite have become famous.

I've had the questionable pleasure of tracking two EP's and one demo with nothing but the pre's of the 003 and an OctoPre, and I quickly learned to appreciate the OctoPre for what it's worth. The difference was obvious. And no pads on the 003 preamps? Euch :/

I couldnt disagree with this statement any more. Most people havent a clue when it comes to this stuff. Not saying that you don't greyskull. But the pres in the pro 40 and 56 are not your "average pre". The sound great, and scarcely color the tone at all.

"In addition to six of Focusrite's legendary mic-pre's, two of Liquid Saffire 56’s pre-amps utilises the third generation of Focusrite’s Liquid Pre-amp, providing the choice of ten different pre-amp emulations. These include emulations based on the Neve 1073, the Pultec MB-1, Telefunken V72 and seven more. A harmonics dial on each Liquid pre-amp lets you account for variance in vintage originals of the same model, or use levels of 2nd, 3rd and 5th Harmonic distortion creatively to shape your sound."

Pretty much a waste imho, and anything with the word "emulation" in it I try and avoid.

There is also this statement from the Focusrite website, so I guess they are just lieing through their teeth, and the hundreds of thousands of users out there have shitty ears.

As with the Red and ISA ranges, the Mic-pre technology found in the Platinum and Saffire ranges is designed to the highest possible standards. They uphold the same wide bandwidth philosophy featured in the original forté console, back in 1989. All Focusrite mic-pres feature custom components which have undergone an intense testing and qualification process. With the facts and figures in, Focusrite designs then have to pass the essential listening stage. Any design can measure well on the test bench but only a great design can be qualified in the studio. The FET-based design in the Saffire range is no exception and ensures the same low noise and distortion performance as earlier transformer-based designs. It delivers clarity without colouration and exhibits the signature transparency for which Focusrite have become famous.

Dude, you're making me want to get the 40... stop it.

The only downside to that interface, that I see, is the two mic pres on the front... I have always thought that looks crappy and can get in the way of other stuff I may need to be controlling...

LOL .... dude seriously I really believe for the price you cant beat it. The options and routing alone are worth its weight in gold in my opinion.

If anyone has some pre's they would like it compared against I would be more then willing to have you ship yours here and do a shoot out. i know thats asking alot, but Unfortunately the only other Pre's here in town that my friends have are cheap M-Audio stuff and low end Presonus stuff.

Edit: Oh and the Pres on the front, I love em. Once it mounted in my new desk rack and I build my little 6 channel snake it will be awesome!

I will prob go with the saffire 40. The pres on the front seem really convenient in a mobile/home setup.

I will prob go with the saffire 40. The pres on the front seem really convenient in a mobile/home setup.

Yeah I wish my Profire had 2 front mounted preamps :(

Instead I just leave 2 XLRs plugged into channels one and two and have them running around the control room, with channels 3-8 connected to my snake in the live room, as well as all 8 channels of my Octopre.

Nice for being able to hook up my DI box in the control room or track vocals in the control room without having to get on the floor and crawl around under my desk!

Just basing this on experience matey.
the red is awesome. the isa is okayish.
and the platinum series and octopre are errr perfectly usable. Not used the Saffire yet.. but probably gonna grab their cheapy interface for a sketchpad. Focusrite keep saying that have Rupert Neve designed Xy and z when the only thing he designed was the Forte console which caused the company to go broke . A bit annoying. Then they got bought out by soundcraft
Maybe I'm biased because I prefer more coloured pre's like the Tg-2 or Api 3124....
probably.
anyhoo!
back to interfaces.

RME FF800 - works? yes - "Works extremely well with the latest drivers."
jizzed. I just hope it won't fuck with the new MacPro. I read two topic at RME's forum where someone was complaining the FF800 won't work with his new Mac Pro Quad 2,8.. which is exactly the model I've got. But I can't try it until next weekend :(