What is destroying the quality of musicianship?

What were you trying to say then? How awesome todays music is compared to the past? Or that there were NO shitty bands at all back in the good old day? That musicians in general are lazy or the crap that's getting attention is bad? Of course a lot of the popular music is horrible, but that's not something new, and I'm tired of people whining about that. There is good new music, and talented young musicians, but yeah.

I get it. It's cool to say everything sucks now because it proves you've been around for a while and know what your talking about. Damnit. I want to grow up and become just like you.

fuck off out of here prickboy.

Technology, that's what has everything fucked up. Everything is so noobified these days, and any one can make music.

Assuming that your post wasn't just sarcasm, it could easily be argued that with anyone being able to make music that it's easier for great musical minds that don't have much money to get their ideas out there more so than in the past. Lots of great bands have become popular due to the internet.

I think there are too many good bands everywhere to have time to find and listen to them all. Yes, even during "these days".

if you look for good music, you'll find it.
back when i was maybe 15 or 16, i was always saying: "man, there are no good bands out there anymore, led zep forever blablabla".
these are words of infantile minds.
it only appears as if there's no good music, because what we consider good music gets little to no airtime.
rock, back in the day, was mainstream music, it was popular.
nowadays, the difference is, rock music (the good stuff), is relatively underground and has to be found, it's not "everywhere" as it used to be.
but i think that makes it interesting.
it's beautiful, listening to bands like "Sahg" or "Witchcraft" for the first time (well, for me it was), because you've really found something special.

check out bands from the post-rock genre, they will blow your mind.
ope your mind, it's not all "man, only 70s is good, fuck the rest"...there's so much amazing stuff out there you've never heard.
there are good bands in every genre, be it electro, hip hop, folk, soul, rock, pop, metal...

i think the problem is the elitist attitude of the younger people, who feel special listening to old bands.
you're not special, you're not retro.
you've got good taste, that's true, but you're close minded and blind.

the best thing you can do is just enjoy.
get out once in a while, go to music venues, go to underground concerts, there are bands out there that will kick your fucking ass =)

my (long) two cents.
cheers from berlin.

Assuming that your post wasn't just sarcasm, it could easily be argued that with anyone being able to make music that it's easier for great musical minds that don't have much money to get their ideas out there more so than in the past. Lots of great bands have become popular due to the internet.

Nicely said

I wasn't being sarcastic with my comment. I think what sets me off is the idea of someone becoming commercially successful using what has become a beginner friendly music industry. This industry is now producing 'so called' artists who plays no instruments and totally rely on digital technology to create their music.

Why does this piss me off? I was always taught you gotta work for what you want in life. And any guitar players knows the countless hours of practice needed to become proficient with their instrument. All the blood, sweat, and tears. All the frustrations, all the technical problems, not to mention the lower back problems that are starting to show up in my later life. And to think it's now been made so easy that with a few mouse clicks you can crank out any style of music. (Metal being the exception)

I see technology as stealing all this time from me and every other guitarist out there. I know what your thinking, "You can use these tools too, so why bitch". I do use allot of these tools myself, but I could never put down my guitar. It's kinda like todays county artists, many of whom don't even write their own material. But they will sure as hell go on down to the red neck music awards and take recognition.

This noobification idea doesn't stop with music. It's happening everywhere in the world today. And lots of people are finding their skills have become obsolete.

I feel better now that I got all that out :)

Why does this piss me off? I was always taught you gotta work for what you want in life. And any guitar players knows the countless hours of practice needed to become proficient with their instrument. All the blood, sweat, and tears. All the frustrations, all the technical problems, not to mention the lower back problems that are starting to show up in my later life. And to think it's now been made so easy that with a few mouse clicks you can crank out any style of music. (Metal being the exception)

I do understand what you mean. Like you said, it's something that occurs in many aspects of life, especially any industry where there's money to be made. I'm a programmer myself, and I've heard the same sort of complaint leveled at new programming environments, debuggers, and compilers. Older programmers feel that the new programs are too helpful, in that they don't force a person to commit to memory certain coding practices because the debugger or compiler will just point out what the problem is and in some cases will fix it for you. However, the flipside of this is that programs are more sprawling and vast than they've ever been and without this sort of aid it would take even longer to produce an application that a company could market and sell. So there are always pros and cons to this sort of change. I myself think it's great that I can hear the works of anyone with the nerve to put themselves out there, for better or for worse.

I do understand what you mean. Like you said, it's something that occurs in many aspects of life, especially any industry where there's money to be made. I'm a programmer myself, and I've heard the same sort of complaint leveled at new programming environments, debuggers, and compilers. Older programmers feel that the new programs are too helpful, in that they don't force a person to commit to memory certain coding practices because the debugger or compiler will just point out what the problem is and in some cases will fix it for you. However, the flipside of this is that programs are more sprawling and vast than they've ever been and without this sort of aid it would take even longer to produce an application that a company could market and sell. So there are always pros and cons to this sort of change. I myself think it's great that I can hear the works of anyone with the nerve to put themselves out there, for better or for worse.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. And I agree that the computer tech sector is rampant with this disease. I remember back using visual basic 3.0 back in the mid 90's. Compare that with visual studio today and it's very clear where Microsoft's demographics are pointing, the Beginner.

I ask myself where's the breaking point gonna be?

there are only 12 notes. there have been billions of guitar players. we are further towards the end than the beginning of what the guitar can do in a *rock* environment. every guitarist knows the agony of coming up with an amazing riff, playing it to someone, and that person having heard it before somewhere, from a band you didn't know existed. there's still good music, but innovation is imo very thin on the ground, mainly because there's nowhere to innovate into.

millions of very good musicians out there. not a lotta open-mindedness to new things though. and not a lotta new things left to do.