what is at the forefront of extreme metal now?

paradigm_shift

New Metal Member
May 26, 2007
Seriously, I mean death metal is becoming safer and more acceptable . There is a cartoon about it (metalocalypse) A suffocation song was used on a discovery channel ad,Black metal has a comic book about it & several mockumentrys .They really dont have the edge, or shock value it use to.

Whats really new to the extreme metal genres? What bands do you find at the forefront currently? Im not saying these genres are bad (their my favourites!) I just want peoples opinions on what is pushing the boundarys now days

Yeah, pretty much. I dig new bands that play in the old vein but also add their own touch of originality (Deathevokation comes to mind).

But that makes it nice and challenging to search for good bands. Don't say no.

I made a thread a while back on the state of metal, and how the boundaries aren't being pushed much anymore. But now it seems like other musical elements are being fused into the metal to create another genre. Like metalcore for example. Or Folk metal. the list could go on.

There are plenty of good new(er) bands floating around. There is also a lot of crap, just how it's always been. True, there is more crap now than there used to be, but there is also more good shit as well, if that makes sense. Some bands are growing to become better, & some are just getting worse, it's the evolution of music.

Yeah, people need to stop whining. There isn't as much innovation these days as there was in metal's (or rock's) halcyon years, but there are still plenty of bands experimenting -usually clumsily, but whatever- and there are lots of competent groups producing quality material, even if it isn't "boundary pushing" stuff.

Obviously there's always gonna be more shit than cool stuff, but that's true of almost anything and any time.

I'm a big fan of openly trance/techno influenced metal. It's a fucking cool idea and everyone who says otherwise can go die.

I think crap like Headbangers Ball started the decline and fall of extreme metal. I think Metalocalypse is a pretty funny show, but I don't take it seriously though some do.

I used to think that post-metal was "the new" genre that was going to become something totally interesting. I was totally wrong, so I am waiting for that next metal genre to come out.

I think crap like Headbangers Ball started the decline and fall of extreme metal. I think Metalocalypse is a pretty funny show, but I don't take it seriously though some do.
I completely agree with your Headbangers Ball comment. I can't stand that show at all, and I'm pretty much equally disappointed with Uranium (if they still call it that).

Metalocalypse makes me laugh about once every three or four episodes, and it seems to me to be just a genuinely unfunny show. Also, the music from the show is about as mainstream as metal could be without being metalcore and overall I find it to be extremely minimalistic and uninspiring.

I think people whining about "the state of metal" should probably just leave forums like this and go cry.

Or, alternatively, you could grow some balls and engage the criticism in an honest way instead of writing off any attempt at criticism because it annoys you or hurts your little feelings.