What is it about Gateways

[0hr]Sunlapse

Wraith
Oct 1, 2002
Rumson, NJ
www.getyourasstomars.com
It seems that most people either consider this their worst or one of their worst easily, while others like me think its their best easily or one of their best. I love all Morbid Angel, but this is the best death metal album I have ever heard, and its definately in my top 5 albums of all time. So what exactly is it with this album that makes people feel the way they do about it?

For me it's the production that's holding the album down. The drums sound horrible, totally lacking in power and the production overall is a bit too "high-tech" for me, which distracts from the feel of the album (at least for me).

aniblas.gif

well here's my deal.

i think the first couple songs are excellent, top notch morbid angel. but i find the longer this album goes, the more boring it gets.

personally i dont know why people are talking shit on Heretic, i think its fuckin awesome. Cleansed in Pestilence, Enshrined by Grace, Beneath the Hollow, Praise the Strength and ESPECIALLY Curse the Flesh are some of the greatest songs Trey has written.

and it doesnt hurt that it sounds a lot more like Formulas than Gateways, being that FFttF is my fav album by them.

SunlapseVertigo said:
Heh, once again i tend to think the opposite. I think he album gets better as it goes along, with God of the Forsaken being the ultimate closer, not to mention my all time favorite MA song.
Yep, but I think the albums highlight is "Secured Limitations". Fuckin badass! The solo of the album.

I like Gateways quite a bit, but it's not my favorite Morbid Angel. My only problem with the album is that it doesn't sound as distinct as all their other releases. Each one has a clear identity but Gateways kinda blends into other stuff to these ears.

the production on the album was way better than any of their other albums including heretic, and the songs were in my opinion more structured with better hooks, many of the old morbid angel songs seem to drag alot