What is it about some bands being on so many tours?

Palabra de Dios

Heavy Metal Weatherman
Mar 22, 2005
St. Joseph, MO
This is not a new trend, just something I want to see opinions on. In the metal world, we see this all the time: there are bands out there who seem to only tour, and end up on just about every touring package that comes around.

Examples from recent memory include Into Eternity, Decrepit Birth, Arsis, Warbringer, Toxic Holocaust, Leaves Eyes. Now I can officially add the bands Blackguard and Swashbuckle to the list. I'm no fan of Swashbuckle and I only slightly like Blackguard (find them quite a bit Bodom-y), but I do enjoy IE and Warbringer.

The point I want to make is that even when some of these bands are good, I don't see that inundating themselves on the touring scene is the best thing. I go to shows nowadays because I want to see bands that I didn't think I'd be able to see, or bands that I haven't seen in a while. It's special.

But even though I do like Warbringer, I'd probably not see a Warbringer headlining tour...because I've already seen that band like 5 times already. What are you guys' thoughts, opinions, flames?

It goes like this. If an up and coming band is becoming more and more popular, bands want to bring them on because they'll get more fans. Now, not all of those bands are like that. In those cases of bands that really aren't all that popular, I'm willing to bet it's a financial thing and they're just plain cheaper to get, i.e. Powerglove.

I was just discussing this with Jason last night. For some bands it can be a good thing.....when the band is actually good....like Warbringer. But when a band like Swashbuckle plays every tour.....it is a huge detourance. If I am on the fence about going to a show...they would make me turn away from going. For me to go to weekday shows I have to take a full day off of work so if a show lands on a weekday I have to really want to see a show.

I am sure Nuclear Blast is wanting these guys to get out there as much as possible to make a quick buck off of them since they are a complete gimmick band (this I agree on Jason). But when a band tours so much it almost becomes annoying. Nothing is worse than a great band headlining with a terrible opening line up. I understand not every show can be amazing but I see this trend growing and growing.

If a metal band is worried about getting money in their pockets it's probably best to do the band as a side-project and have day jobs. Nobody makes money from being in a metal band anymore.

I initially mis-read Cheiron's post. I was thinking of a ProgPower situation, where when a band I don't like goes on stage, I take the opportunity to go grab some dinner. I gotta eat sooner or later after all :) So I don't complain when a band I dislike plays in the middle of the lineup, or even if they're the headliner so I can head out early.

It is a little bit of an eyebrow-raiser to see bands that IMO are below-average quality touring a lot, but that never crosses the threshold into personal annoyance as I usually view this as an opportunity to hit the restroom, or go look at T-shirts, or get some fresh air if it's a re-entry venue.

I do understand that overexposure of bands could lead to audience burnout before that band hits their real prime. This is probably only a problem for the small set of metal die-hards who go to every show and as a result will see those constant-openers all the time. I've only seen Warbringer once (and I'm not sold on them being "good" just yet) because I personally go to a selection of shows. Also, it's usually not a problem for me to just arrive at the place intentionally late since I'm not someone who loves to be in the barrier crush up front.

I live in Kansas so the more tours the better so I actually get to see a band. Like I have never seen Into Eternity open a show, even though some of you have seen like 20 times open. Whereas I got to see them play a headlining off date in Kansas so that was really special same thing with Arsis. So while we get dicked on a lot of stuff we get the occasional bonus

I don't get it. How would a band make money if they are opening acts? Don't they have to pay to get on tours? I mean, all they are making is the profits from the merch that they sell, if they sell that much merch, that is. Isn't it more to push their CDs rather than make money directly?

I don't get it. How would a band make money if they are opening acts? Don't they have to pay to get on tours? I mean, all they are making is the profits from the merch that they sell, if they sell that much merch, that is. Isn't it more to push their CDs rather than make money directly?

Buy-ins aren't automatic, and the label might cover that. It depends what deals the band has with the label. Did the band or label purchase the merch? Are the bands selling it for each other, or are they paying some merch dude?

I think what we saw with Swashbuckle will become more popular, that is, an 'opening act' doing tech.

But say you sell 20 t-shirts, and 10 CDs (which you bought from the label). You just made $500. And that's reasonable if you put on a great set. Sure you aren't going to get rick on the 20 stop tour, but after expenses you might come away with a couple grand. For that time, if you are lucky, you weren't paying any expenses back home such as rent, other than storage space. You aren't going to get rich, but you can live on it for a while.

It also has a lot to do with booking agent preference. I know for a fact that Finberg really likes Warbringer, so he tries to put them on a lot of tours to get them more and more exposure.

Well he is a bastard because I am beyond sick of seeing a band I dont like. At least some of the venues have a in and out policy so I can go outside during bands I dont like

As mentioned here a number of times, its also not an easy life and there actually aren't that many bands willing to do it.

the ONLY way a band makes it today is by making new fans and developing a fan base and they do so by TOURING and meeting people. sure you might see the same bands all the time, but that is because you live in a BIG MARKET where the tours always happen, but a majority of the dates could be in smaller towns they have never been too. plus, it also could mean you are a diehard and go to a ton of shows. not EVERYONE goes to a ton of shows. so most bands have to factor in that more touring means more opportunity to meet and make new fans thanks to exposure of playing with bigger bands.

however you want to slice it, if you can really sit here on this message board and somehow "slight" bands getting out there and touring and playing their music and attempting to make a living then YOU are the one with the problem not the bands slugging it out there on the road. try living in van on $4 a day for 10 months out of the year. you wouldn't make it very far, trust me.

from personal experience i will say this. my band started as side project and did three albums as a studio project. we have toured the US the last 4 years part time (2 months every summer) and i now own a house thanks to our fans. touring most DEFINITELY helps bands achieve more success, but it is no easy road getting there.

so if you don't like certain opening bands don't watch them, but sure as don't talk poorly about them being on the road all the time because it is surely a life YOU would never want to live.

the ONLY way a band makes it today is by making new fans and developing a fan base and they do so by TOURING and meeting people. sure you might see the same bands all the time, but that is because you live in a BIG MARKET where the tours always happen, but a majority of the dates could be in smaller towns they have never been too. plus, it also could mean you are a diehard and go to a ton of shows. not EVERYONE goes to a ton of shows. so most bands have to factor in that more touring means more opportunity to meet and make new fans thanks to exposure of playing with bigger bands.

however you want to slice it, if you can really sit here on this message board and somehow "slight" bands getting out there and touring and playing their music and attempting to make a living then YOU are the one with the problem not the bands slugging it out there on the road. try living in van on $4 a day for 10 months out of the year. you wouldn't make it very far, trust me.

from personal experience i will say this. my band started as side project and did three albums as a studio project. we have toured the US the last 4 years part time (2 months every summer) and i now own a house thanks to our fans. touring most DEFINITELY helps bands achieve more success, but it is no easy road getting there.

so if you don't like certain opening bands don't watch them, but sure as don't talk poorly about them being on the road all the time because it is surely a life YOU would never want to live.

but it is the life and path they picked. Everyone knows that touring isnt easy. The living on 4 dollars a day.....that is your own fault. You need to save for that. My brothers band toured Europe and the US a few times....he always saved money up so he could actually eat and do stuff on the road. It is the non thinkers who go out with no money thinking they will earn money on the road to get by.

I dont blame the bands that are touring I blame the guy who is putting these things together......non one is begging for Swashbuckle to come to thier town 4 to 6 times a year.

Dude, you and I have had our differences on here, but goddamn, you just hit the fucking nail on the head. Having been on tour with some of the bands that bust their asses and lose money on the road just to get themselves out there, it is most definitely not a position that any of them WANT to be in but they are in it out of necessity and out of their love for the music. If you don't like them, show up for the headliner, but don't bash them because you have seen them 10 times this year. Into Eternity gets such a bad wrap because of their constant touring before their current break and I have never seen a harder working band in the business live on so little but bust their asses so much to try and get new fans. The only other band that I have seen close to that is Warbringer. I've had the pleasure of going on the road with Into Eternity and sleep in that now famous RV of theirs for a few days, and even only being out with them for a few days made me appreciate what they, and other bands like that, go through on a constant basis. Kudos indeed for your post Tribunal.

Brent