What is the appeal to Sanctuary Records??

mrthrax said:
who knows,i suppose the only metal labels left are century media,nuclear blast,roadrunner and sanctuary(the ones i know of anyway).

Actually, there's also Metal Blade & Noise.

But Noise is owned by Sanctuary.

And Nuclear Blast is owned by Century Media, I believe...

But I've heard kick-ass shit from SPV, LMP, Napalm, etc...

Come to think of it, most of the really great metal I've heard lately are on the above mentioned labels. Of course, that may be because that's where most of the metal acts are anyway...

Listen, people are bitching about Sanctuary being a place where metal bands die is silly. Yes a lot of old school bands are on it, but if they were on a major label, you SERIOUSLY think that they'd be going gold? The order of metal labels goes like this: Roadrunner, Century Media, Sanctuary, Metal Blade. Roadrunner is the only one with the capability with regular gold status bands. Why? Because after catapulting a few underground metal bands to the mainstream (Sepultura, TON, Fear Factory), they went to bands like Nickleback. Century Media is the probably still the most up and coming metal label, but who's going to go gold? Shadows Fall's The Art of Balance is supposedly their best selling album in America, and that's not near gold. So when Anthrax, who may have sold 500,000 to 1 million records 15 years ago, sell 150,000, that is an accomplishment. I have no idea how much WCFYA all has sold, but I wish they'd post it. I figure it has to be more than Stomp and Volume 8. I went to the show at Irving Plaza and it was sold out! I have never been to a soldout Anthrax show post-Stomp! And there were a good amount of teenagers there, so there is an increased interest in Anthrax, but it will not like the Killer B's or PoT era.

Anyway back to Sanctuary, Megadeth was on a decline anyway. TWNAH was a good album that tried, but I blame Risk for its low album sales. What I find funny is that people never blame the previous album for current album sales. It happens all the time! Happened with Faith No More and many other bands. Maiden and KISS are 20 years past their prime, why do you think they would sell a lot? The fact is a place like Sanctuary gives a creative outlet for these bands, who still have a smaller, yet strong fanbase. These bands will sell 100,000, which for many small labels is amazing! And there is no shame in that.

As for Lynyrd Skynyrd, are you mad?!? 2nd rate southern rock band?!? Tell that to the millions of fans they have! In southern rock, there are only 2 bands! Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Allman Brothers! That was a dumbass comment.

All sanctuary needs is a better marketing plan for these bands. They all have much life left in them. But you can't sell millions without people knowing that they still exist. Getting 'thrax on a tour next year with Maiden in the states would get the word out. And another rockin' single would help, too... IMO, they should've released the next single after "Safe Home" at the end of June!

Oh yeah, and Skynyrd rules! "Second-rate" my ass!

Looks like Bush isn't thrilled with Sanctuary.

http://www.chroniclesofchaos.com/Articles.aspx?section=1&id=612

CoC: Now that you're signed to Nuclear Blast, do you feel that the whole business process has been simplified? JB: Well, here in Europe they have done an amazing job exposing us to potential as well as old Anthrax fans -– telling them that the record is out. I mean we sold about 500 000 copies of _Sound of White Noise_ and at the end of the day about 150 000 of _Stomp 442_ and _Volume 8_, purely because Elektra never even did much to let the existing fans know that there was a new Anthrax album out. I've always said that I'd rather someone come up to me and say that my record sucks than tell me that they didn't know we had a new record out. That just means that the record company aren't doing their job, because there's only so much that we can do ourselves. But like I said, so far Nuclear Blast have done a hell of a job. Now we have to concentrate on Sanctuary in America -– they haven't really been as active as we would have hoped.