What is the deal with Sweden?

Sweden doesn't lead for quality of music. Norway slays everyone, hands down.

offcourse they do......they got LORDI.....ahahaha.....just kiddin....i was so hopin theyd throw in anotehr crazy metla band for tis years euro visison....o well..........aahahaha.....PEAC EOUT

Some of you are onto the answer I think ...

One reason for the successful Swedish music scene is surely that there are plenty of possibilities to study music, and to learn how to play instruments from a very young age. Not only metal music, but also world known pop bands (ABBA, Roxette, etc) and producers (Max Martin + many more who produces songs for Madonna and Britney Spears among others). I'm not saying that they write good music, but they cash in some serious money ...

When it comes to the reason for the many metal bands that come out of here, I think it's quite simply what Stilgar said. Scandinavians in general are known for being melancholic, probably due to the long winters and many months of constant darkness. I'd be surprised if that hasn't got something to do with the often very dark/sad music produced in Norway, Sweden and Finland. The Danes are to close to the European continent, and enjoy fantastic beer in abundance, so apparently they are an exception ... = )

It's not just metal... Sweden has been known for its high caliber Jazz musicians for many years (40 or so years???). Many American jazz greats, including Keith Jarrett and possibly Miles Davis have ties with Swedish jazz artists from back in the day.

How about Abba?

There's got to be some sort of historical, cultural reason for the great musicians and great quality of music that comes out of Sweden, though.

Obviously in the states, we have several "scenes" that were/are notorious with certain styles and quality of music.

For a death metal reference, think about Tampa, FL... That was the hot-bed for many legendary dm bands, including Morbid Angel, Obituary, Deicide, Resurrection, Malevolent Creation, Monstrosity, Cynic, Death... Maybe these aren't all from Tampa specifically, but I'm pretty sure they're all originally from FL. Not to mention the legendary Morrisound Studios. For a while there it seemed that every up-and-coming death metal band would got Morrisound to record, and have Dan Seagrave do the album artwork.

These days, it's Andy Sneap for recording and Travis Smith for the artwork. I'm forgetting the name of an important Swedish recording studio... ahem.

Lordi are from Finland ...

Yes, Norway produces alot of really great extreme metal, hard to say which country is leading for quality music, depends alot on if you want your metal "blackened" or "deathened" = )

When it comes to the reason for the many metal bands that come out of here, I think it's quite simply what Stilgar said. Scandinavians in general are known for being melancholic, probably due to the long winters and many months of constant darkness. I'd be surprised it that hasn't got something to do with the often very dark/sad music produced in Norway, Sweden and Finland. The Danes are to close to the European continent, and enjoy fantastic beer in abundance, so apparently they are an exception ... = )

Interesting perspective, but I just wanted to point out that the "Swedish Metal" sound was one of the first to take the thrash/death combo and infuse it with major melodies and clean vocals. That doesn't seem very melancholic to me, unless the creators were so sad that they decided to incorporate more sunshine into the music :) Also, the jazz that comes out of Sweden isn't particularly melancholy, and Abba was/is quite uplifting.

Isn't there a social security program that allows musicians to collect highly taxed unemployment compensation? If that were the case here in the US, I think you'd see an increase in career musicians/artists.

Some of you are onto the answer I think ...

One reason for the successful Swedish music scene is surely that there are plenty of possibilities to study music, and to learn how to play instruments from a very young age. Not only metal music, but also world known pop bands (ABBA, Roxette, etc) and producers (Max Martin + many more who produces songs for Madonna and Britney Spears among others). I'm not saying that they write good music, but they cash in some serious money ...

When it comes to the reason for the many metal bands that come out of here, I think it's quite simply what Stilgar said. Scandinavians in general are known for being melancholic, probably due to the long winters and many months of constant darkness. I'd be surprised if that hasn't got something to do with the often very dark/sad music produced in Norway, Sweden and Finland. The Danes are to close to the European continent, and enjoy fantastic beer in abundance, so apparently they are an exception ... = )

im not from any scandanavian country(although i want to move there :heh:) but that's what i was going to say, i saw an interview/documentary about gaahl from gorgoroth and it described where he was from as perfect place for metal, cause its so dreary and harsh there, i agree with the TC though, my favorite music is all from there, don't forget dan swano :kickass:

We have relatively cheap music schools in Sweden and good music education in school, that's why. And it's also because we get trained in a secret brotherhood while young.........I mean.....damn it...I've said too much...:erk:

A drummer friend of my that loves meshuggah once told me: "You have to think that they have 6 months of winter, all they can do is to play this kind of music"
lol

Actually, I'm living in Quebec, Canada, and the metal scene seems to be growing up with pretty nice band. Still, it's local, but it doesn't need to be worldwide to be good. Note that I didn't know 3/4 of the bands you mentionned (threadmaker).

It may also be that the market in other countries are so saturated with manufactured crap that their isn't any reason to allow real musicians to make it big. Why have to worry about finding talented musicians when you can sell crap to the masses and make tons of profit?

Just speculating here.. I don't know what Sweden's music scene looks like other than the good metal that comes from there.
Do you hear metal on the radio other than Metallica?

It's not just metal... Sweden has been known for its high caliber Jazz musicians for many years (40 or so years???). Many American jazz greats, including Keith Jarrett and possibly Miles Davis have ties with Swedish jazz artists from back in the day.

How about Abba?

There's got to be some sort of historical, cultural reason for the great musicians and great quality of music that comes out of Sweden, though.

Obviously in the states, we have several "scenes" that were/are notorious with certain styles and quality of music.

For a death metal reference, think about Tampa, FL... That was the hot-bed for many legendary dm bands, including Morbid Angel, Obituary, Deicide, Resurrection, Malevolent Creation, Monstrosity, Cynic, Death... Maybe these aren't all from Tampa specifically, but I'm pretty sure they're all originally from FL. Not to mention the legendary Morrisound Studios. For a while there it seemed that every up-and-coming death metal band would got Morrisound to record, and have Dan Seagrave do the album artwork.

These days, it's Andy Sneap for recording and Travis Smith for the artwork. I'm forgetting the name of an important Swedish recording studio... ahem.

Three words.

Tord Gustavsen Trio.