What is the State of Metal in 2009?

soundave

Oct 13, 2005
MA
As I tried to post a response in another thread about influential bands from the last 15 years, it occurred to me that a good answer would require knowing something about what's actually happening NOW. I admit to liking what I like, and not understanding what the scene is. So, what is the scene? What is radio metal like? (I'm not a radio listener). What metal is selling records? What style is being copied by everyone?

Ive seen an increase in the liking of DOOM metal. I really cannot disagree as it is just a killer Genre. Its weird cause I don't necessarily embrace doom, but it is comforting somehow. The dark bleak slowness somehow turns itself into something beautiful in itself.

But then again Iron Maiden is the best band in the world, so what I do I know.

As I tried to post a response in another thread about influential bands from the last 15 years, it occurred to me that a good answer would require knowing something about what's actually happening NOW. I admit to liking what I like, and not understanding what the scene is. So, what is the scene? What is radio metal like? (I'm not a radio listener). What metal is selling records? What style is being copied by everyone?

TNWOAHM, or metalcore, is the huge thing in america and is sadly becoming more and more popular. Bands like disturbed are the ones selling records atm. I cant answer the radio Q since i dont listen to the radio.

Vinyl is returning. Boutique, specialty metal. It's becoming big to have a small following on the internet, put out limited LPs and special editions. Granted, mainstream metal still runs free, but it is grasping for some way to stay relevant.

Granted, I don't pay as much attention to the "scene" now as I did 20 or 25 years ago...but it seems to me that metal (or at least "good" metal) is more undergound now than it ever was. The radio in my area only seems to play two kinds of metal. The first is 80's era glam-pop-metal (As in Ratt or Dokken). The second is, as Ross mentioned, bands like Disturbed...stuff that my 13 year old step son likes. The vast majority of the bands that I listen to now (Bands like Katatonia, Riverside, Porcupine Tree....even Opeth) are bands that I've discovered through the internet (Mainly through this forum and other ones like it).

Back in the early 80's we used to talk about how good bands (Like Maiden or early Metallica etc) were strictly "word of mouth" bands because they never got any radio airplay and also never got any MTV exposure until Headbangers Ball came around. But now it seems as though that's more true than ever before. MTV hasn't played an actual music video in over a deacade and you don't hear anything over the radio but bad Korn rip offs or Bon Jovi. But...there is still a very loyal following. I've met quite a few people over the last few years at the few concerts and clubs that I've been to who have turned me onto some pretty good music.

There seems to be better metal now than there ever was. But it's also harder to find and seems to be more underground than ever. Then again...if radio actually played bands like Deathspell Omega or Katatonia (Or even Dream Theater)...would it have the same appeal? Probably not. So maybe the relative obsurity is actually a good thing.

I just wish I could get my 13 year old to listen to Opeth. Oh well...maybe someday.

tough question, as it seems metal keeps expanding, both in genres and fans. I've recently seen psychedelic and metal mix in bands like Nachtmystium and Gigan. There has been a thrash metal resurgence with bands like Merciless Death, Fueled by Fire, Bonded by Blood, Municipal Waste, etc... A lot of these are more like homages to the originators, as you can tell by the names of two bands i listed.
I'm not sure what is being played on MTV and mainstream radio, but I'm guessing it's not too far from metalcore and the like. You know which bands I'm talking about, easily accessible verse chorus verse chorus bands (they're not ALL bad though). and there's some of the older bands making comebacks; cynic, atheist, pestilence. Oh and there's hipster metal, which I think just means bands with a more mainstream sound, or bands with beards and trucker hats, ok I don't know.
I noticed that what I mentioned though was just different aspects of metal, and that there's really no unification, nothing to tie all of these together besides the fact that the music is heavy. for good or bad, that's another characteristic of metal in 2009.

the scene is dead, except in the far underground. bands like disturbed, shadows fall, and all this deathcore bullshit are the ones selling records. "hardcore" kids go to shows and kick people in the face like little fuckin retards. bands like dso, negura bunget, esoteric, and blut aus nord are leading the underground extreme metal scene. nachtmystium imo are breaking away from the pack in terms of the monotony of the extreme metal scene by mixing some other psych music influences in, even though they're really not overly original.

Something you should take into consideration regarding music (in general really) is that the internet now plays a much bigger role, and has essentially superseded radio when it comes to promoting, thus things like myspace and what not have changed the way music reaches it listeners completely, and thus what is played on the radio is a very small portion of what is reflected in the overall trend.

Heavy metal as a whole is probably more popular than it has ever been, even more so than the halcyon days of the 80s - you only have to look at the big festivals around the world, particularly in North America and Europe to see this, as well as more 'extreme' bands are actually charting - 'extreme' in a sense that they have shouted/growled vocals which, lets face it, in days gone by had no chance of charting, and as an aside, I remember when Obituary's The End Complete was the highest selling DM record.

In saying all that, the more things change, the more they stay the same. You could easily compare it to the 80s, where there were the monster bands on top of the pile - your Iron Maidens and Judas Priests - just as there are now, just that the styles have evolved (I'm sure some would say for the worse). Under that are there are the more moderately successful bands, and you can keep working your way down the chain.

Ironically, people complain about metalcore and it's offshoots now, but anyone who was around in 2000 will remember that at that time it was a breath of fresh air and 'the return of true metal' and all of that kind of hyperbole at a time when nu-metal ruled the roost. No different now, except now metalcore is at the top of the pile - along with your hardcore, which is essentially metal with hardcore vocals, lyrics and arrangements - and everyone is standing around for the next bandwagon to jump (and the same thing happened with thrash in the late 80s/early 90s, NWOBHM in the early-80s, you can keep going back and see the pattern emerging here.

My summation of the biggest problem of the past 5 years is that we keep on the endless recycling (and that is right across the board in popular culture) that eventually wears itself into dust before anything of much originality develops from it. I see this as being down to the fact that we live in a globalized world, with so much information to sift through (just look at the internet) that you are bombarded with.

Of course at the end of the day there are always going to be great bands/artists/music around, just a matter of finding something that relates to your particular taste.

My quess is that the next "big thing" is slowly going to be the fusion of soft and heavy music, such as Opeth. But it will take alittle time.

It still never fails to amuse me when someone comes along with all the conviction in the world and says that 'Metal is dying (or dead)'.

I think metal is doing great. I pretty much agree with Cognitive Intercourse. There is maybe more great metal than ever before, it's just shadowed by a lot of bullshit, but that's alright to me.

Vinyls returning is great news too I think. I hope to some day be able to start a proper collection of those, although CD's are fine too.

Oh and Wintersun - Time is coming this year.

Excellent posts here, especially by Cognitive Intercourse and Chinese Whispers. Some very fine observations that you brought, so i am left without anything substantial to add. I too think best metal bands of the day are pushing music further, and guiding heavy metal into fine art realm, unwilling to compromise (thus staying in the underground) and waiting for dedicated and active music lovers to find them, rather than chasing after them. Thats how it should be and its fair enough i think...

Progressive elements drive many of the succesful metal bands that walk the line between their past in the extreme metal underground and worldwide popularity. Bands such as Opeth, Agalloch, Enslaved and Ihsahn are good examples of this and think bands such as these will inspire the music scene to go forward strongly for years to come.

Its hard to gauge the popularity of metal at the moment because the metrics used in the past (record sales and maybe airplay) are not valid any longer. I have noticed declines in extreme metal touring shows in the last couple of years. And some of the shows have had pretty light attendance.

Here in San Diego, a city of 2.5 million, we are getting less shows than we did just a couple of years ago. Opeth, for example, has skipped San Diego so far on the Watershed tours.

There are still some unifying outlets of metal and they are Music Choice on cable and Sirius/XM's Liquid Metal. They are still utilizing rotations of new music to create "hits" (Meshugga's "Bleed", Amon Amarth's "Twilight of the Thunder Gods", etc.). Its not all iPod's and Myspace.

Just a broad statement. Imo, Metal is sort of stagnant. The music has many directions it can go. There are endless possibilities. I think Opeth and Enslaved, Agalloch are carrying the torch. The most original album I heard all yr was The Black Flux--Virus. Unusual composition, with winding riffs. I don't know, but this album says something to me.