What is this vocal chain?

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
I'm really digging this vocal chain. If you guys can give suggestions on how this is maybe being processes that would be great, because I'm working with a similar band.

And I REALLY want to know what the effect is at 1:23.. It sounds like a simple lo fi, but not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty sure ross worked on this one.

Telefunken ELA 251 w/mods.... who knows from there. Ross is a crazy motherfucker, one of my top 3 and he ALWAYS gets amazing vocal sounds.

it's more about the performance that ross drags outta these guys than the gear, IMO....

Yeah, ross robinson is the shit.. I'm so fond of his work.

Once again, sorry for the weird reference.. This band I'm recording resembles them.

I just really like the vocal chain that they're running, it sounds good. Crisp.

NSGUITAR. pleasee don't post a mix like this as your final product
there are so many things about this band (production & musicianship) that I dislike about this band. haha

to be honest, I've done something similar to this vocal chain.
there are several ways you can do this.
my favourite is just 57 that son of a gun. I'd probably wouldn't even mount it. I'd probably let him run all over the room screaming like he's actually playing.
over saturate. maybe even run it through an amp or ampsim. brickwall limit.
the idea is basically to get that highschool screaming through an amp because we don't have a PA in our garage sound.
peak city.

an easier yet crappier method: scream into a laptop mic. haha. but that won't sound that great.

I'm not exactly sure what effect you're talking about. kinda just sounds like reverb and placement. maybe a little automation.

He just has it reverbed out like a mug at 1:44 actually he probably just rides up the fader he has on the side chain of reverb and rolls off the fader on the main vocal part...

I remembered the song!

Death Cab for Cutie - Soul Meets Body

I just had to remember, it was killing for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea this one was def Kris Crummett at Interlace

and the reasoning behind the gay ass screaming is this CD is almost 5 years old when EMOcore was really big. So it fit the style for the time era.
pretty sure this CD came out before the first TDWP CD was released (if not, shortly after)

Yea this one was def Kris Crummett at Interlace

and the reasoning behind the gay ass screaming is this CD is almost 5 years old when EMOcore was really big. So it fit the style for the time era.
pretty sure this CD came out before the first TDWP CD was released (if not, shortly after)

It may have been in style then, still doesn't do justice for my ears at this point in time. hahaha

It may have been in style then, still doesn't do justice for my ears at this point in time. hahaha

Ohh dude, I hate it so much especially because they used to be a local here and would get boo'd off stage and then rise signed them and they blew up. Everyone was like, why do kids like this shit!?!

Ohh dude, I hate it so much especially because they used to be a local here and would get boo'd off stage and then rise signed them and they blew up. Everyone was like, why do kids like this shit!?!

hahaha look up motionless in white, they were a local and i hate them!

and they rip this fucking band actually!

Currently signed to Fearless